Vale Arthur Morris

Remove this Banner Ad

One of the alltime great openers ever to play for Australia.

I pity the people whose knowledge of cricket history is so poor that they think someone like Hayden is fit to shine Morris's shoes.

A good innings for Arthur Morris. Well before my time but I have the utmost respect for that generation. Lived through the depression, fought in the war, suffered personal loss and yet most of them are humble salt of the salt of the earth type people, grateful for what life has given them. We have it easy these days by comparison.

First player to score a century in each innings on his first class debut (148 & 111 for NSW vs. Queensland in 1940-41). He also scored a century on his debut in English first class cricket (138 vs. Worcestershire in 1948), on his debut in South African first class cricket (153 vs. Natal in 1949-50) and on his debut in West Indian first class cricket (157 vs. Jamaica in 1955). The only other country where he played first class cricket was India, where he played a friendly game for a Cavaliers XI in 1963 aged 41, having initially retired from first class cricket at the end of the West Indian 1955 tour. He scored 4 and 70 on his debut in Indian first class cricket.