Vale Don McSweeny

Probably not well known to Port supporters but Don McSweeny was an irresistible driving force behind Port's development of its western country zone. His monthly Magpies News contributions were inspired reading.

Vale Don McSweeny
PORT ADELAIDE has joined the South Australian football community in mourning the death of Don McSweeny OAM, who was a long standing contributor to football in the state.
Running programs in Port Adelaide’s traditional country heartland across the Eyre Peninsula, McSweeny had made a 70-year contribution to football in several roles.
More than 60 products of his work on the Eyre Peninsula came through the rooms at Alberton, including eventual AFL premiership players Gavin Wanganeen, Peter and Shaun Burgoyne, Byron Pickett and Darryl Wakelin.
Vale Don McSweeny

Boss351

Premiership Player
Mar 1, 2014
Heart of P.A.F.C Territory
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
:thumbsu:some big name players filtered through the system thanks to Don.
R.I.P Don, thanks for your life time services , your legacy will live on with youngsters who come through the system and wear the PB and Chevrons:footy:

condolences to the McSweeny family and friends

Byrons Firen

Brownlow Medallist
Dec 4, 2013
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
the maggies
I didn't know Don McSweeny or know of him, but from what Ford Fairlane has shared with us, it is obvious
his passion and devotion to young men/footballers and the difference he made to their lives was outstanding.
Although a stranger to you Don and your 'Family' my heart is heavy. For all you have done Thank You.

Mar 10, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Man Utd, Celtic, Tanunda
Saw him present the Aboriginal Power Cup a few weeks back and told my son what an incredible contribution he had made to not just the PAFC but SA footy in general.
Remarkable man.
Vale Don and condolences to your family.

Along with Bob Clayton one of the back room boys who helped us turn the west coast into a gold mine. I never met the man but for years even when I didnt live in SA, I would always hear references to him.

I know we have made a commitment to the west cost clubs that we would still look after them like we have since 1969 when we were allocated the are as our official country zone. But it will need us to find another Don McSweeny type to fulfill that commitment.

Condolences to the McSweeny family and tanks for all your great work Don and not only recruiting all those players but building a bigger Port Adelaide community, well past 5015.

Mar 1, 2014
People's Republic of Onkaparinga
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Cronulla Sutherland Sharks
Don Mc Sweeny was, with Bob Clayton the impetus behind our development of the west coast region. It is doubtful that we would have been as successful in the seventies and eighties without Don's efforts. Don was a Life member of Port Adelaide, a member of the SANFL Hall of Fame and was awarded an OAM for his services to the community, Eyre Peninsula Football, and SA Football. Our Club acknowledged Don's contribution in this morning's Advertiser and it says it all. Hopefully Rucci will write an obituary for the Saturday oblts column.

For those who never met Don the link below will tell you a bit about him.

http://www.portadelaidefc.com.au/vi...csweeney-sanfl-hall-of-fame-acceptance-speech

Thanks Don.

Back