Vale LIDGE

Remove this Banner Ad

I was playing poker with him online an hour or so before he died.

As was I. Eery feeling the next day and an all too potent reminder of how fragile life can be.

Eat your greens, folks. :(

Christ, I cry every time i watch the funeral vid and i never even met lidge.
Thank him every day what he did for the club and his efforts in keeping us in North Melbourne.

Vale Lidge

I never met Lidge.

I just passed the 1 year anniversary of my Mum dieing. Much like Lidge, she died very suddenly in full health, completely unexpectedly (my Mum at the ripe young age of 54). Every sympathy for the Lidgerwood family tomorrow - I understand what you are going through.

I actually joined BF cos I missed talking crap about footy with my Mum. You never think you are going to miss that everyday stuff until it's gone.

RIP lidge. Sad Sad day for the NMFC

And also condolences to you two telemark, could not imagine what life would be like without my mum in this world, same with dad.

Christ, I cry every time i watch the funeral vid and i never even met lidge.

Yeah, I still find it difficult to watch that vid.

When Hitchener (?....sorry, don't watch the news) mentions the game against the Pies I find myself transported straight back to that night, walking down the back of the London to meet him and RB, us three laughing and talking s**t on the stroll up to the G after a few beers, then watching the game which, as y'all know, was pretty damn awesome. He was a very happy man that night. It's funny, even if I'd known it was the last time I was ever going to see him, I doubt I would have changed a thing.

Cheers, mate.

Yeah, I still find it difficult to watch that vid.

When Hitchener (?....sorry, don't watch the news) mentions the game against the Pies I find myself transported straight back to that night, walking down the back of the London to meet him and RB, us three laughing and talking s**t on the stroll up to the G after a few beers, then watching the game which, as y'all know, was pretty damn awesome. He was a very happy man that night. It's funny, even if I'd known it was the last time I was ever going to see him, I doubt I would have changed a thing.

Cheers, mate.
Had it all.

The drunk midget trying to pick a fight with you while the quad couple in front of us made out.

Scrag fight just to our right.

And a last minute North win.

A real Lidge type of game.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Had it all.

The drunk midget trying to pick a fight with you while the quad couple in front of us made out.

Scrag fight just to our right.

And a last minute North win.

A real Lidge type of game.

Haha, yep. One angry dwarf and 20,000 solemn faces. Absolute pisser of a match. Credit where it's due, Collingwood have long set the standard in off-field entertainment. Was a great note for the big guy to go out on.

The post match reports on the above incidents led to a classic BF thread too.

It still seems so recent.

Two bloody years. Unbelievable!

We are running a bit behind schedule, but there are a dozen or so Lidgerwood folk coming down from Yarrawonga, Tungamah etc for the game Sat night vs the Lions.

This is our second annual get together since the big fella's passing. Pre game drinks wil be held at a pub in the city, not sure where but somewhere close to the ground. Any suggestions appreciated.

Also trying to work something out with the social club to raise a glass before and maybe after the game. The club and all concerned were great 2 years back.

Stay tuned and I hope to catch up with a few of you on Saturday

Sticks

wasn't lidge's birthday this time of year?

Good memory there Timmy. It's today, the 28th January, and I'm sure snrub will have more to say later on. The big fella's in our thoughts always, but particularly today. He's missed enormously by his family, friends, fellow (forever thankful) North supporters, and his BF flock.

A great man, a great husband and dad, and a great friend.............who's sorely missed and never forgotten.

Happy Birthday Lidge :thumbsu::thumbsu::thumbsu:

Our thoughts are with Abi and the kids on this day. Happy birthday Shane, you magnificent bastard. No doubt you are up there somewhere sharing a few pints with Mick Nolan, Macca, Judy and other great departed Rooboys and Roogirls. Hearts to hearts and hands to hands.

It's funny that everytime we seem to be falling by the wayside he is the first thing I think of. Whether it be during a game or horseshit from the media. Even while I was oversea's he entered my head. This is why we need to not just maintain but drive it home. I looked at the membership numbers recently and I'm totally ****ing disgusted.

MAKE THIS MAN PROUD FOR WHAT HE AND OTHERS DID. FORGET THE LIP SERVICE.

cant believe its been 3 years since lidge died (this week sometime)
timmy

thanks lidge

Just spent the last hour reading up on this fine chap ndidnt know he was the driving force behind us staying in Melbourne as I was not as into footy as I am now what a champion bloke really wish I knew him.

I would also like to add my thoughts and prayers to Lidge, like many others in this thread have already done.

Although I never knew the man myself, and I obviously wasn't apart of what he did for the North Melbourne Football Club, I know all too well of the passion and love he felt for his beloved Kangaroos. He is still, 3 years after his untimely death, truely an inspirational man.

I too know what it is like to have such a passion for a football club, that it become a part of you. Not only metaphorically, but spiritually and emotionally.

I also know what it's like for that same passion to be threatened by financial insecurity. To have the unknowing feeling of will my club be alive in the future?

St. Kilda was borderline bankrupt by the end of 1986, and if not for a Save Our Saints campaign at Morrabbin Oval mid season to raise money, we would not have made it into 1987. Carlton tried to merge with us, take our players, our identity and our long and proud history. We kept fighting. The talk of relocation, mergers and folding altogether were persistent. And we kept on fighting. Everybody said we would "go to the wall". Yet we kept on fighting. And we eventually thrived financially. It took a hell of a long time to go from hitting rock bottom back in '86 to making a profit in 2009 and 2010 but we did it!

And so will North Melbourne. With the fighting shinboner example that Lidge displayed, not only will North Melbourne survive, you will thrive. It will take time, yes. You will experience heartbrake after heartbrake. But, in the end, you will thrive. The fighting spirit that Lidge displayed, much like that of St. Kilda supporters in the mid 1980's, is what will save the NMFC.

Just keep fighting. Keep Lidge's dream alive and well. Keep all of your dreams alive and well. Don't let the AFL dictate what North Melbourne is...don't become another Fitzroy.

Lidge, Rest In Peace mate. 40 was way too soon buddy. My condolences go out to his family, friends and Kangaroos supporters who knew and loved him very much.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back