Vale Phillip Hughes - 1988 - 2014

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm really over all the continuing public displays of emotion by the players. Warner kissing the pitch today was cringeworthy. Sometimes wonder whether it's becoming more about them than the extremely sad demise of a fringe Australian player.

People die in tragic circumstances every day. It's distressing and painful for those close to them, particularly family. I have nothing but praise for the personal and private manner in which the Hughes family have conducted themselves during this tough time.

Time for the players to do the same.

I'm really over all the continuing public displays of emotion by the players. Warner kissing the pitch today was cringeworthy. Sometimes wonder whether it's becoming more about them than the extremely sad demise of a fringe Australian player.

People die in tragic circumstances every day. It's distressing and painful for those close to them, particularly family. I have nothing but praise for the personal and private manner in which the Hughes family have conducted themselves during this tough time.

it does feel that way at times.

people out there are saying australian players should retire on 63, and or the team declare on 408 in this test.

as for the bust, the likeness is 0. but the words are what count.

it does feel that way at times.

people out there are saying australian players should retire on 63, and or the team declare on 408 in this test.

as for the bust, the likeness is 0. but the words are what count.

Maybe Watson should retire on 63 to save him going out before getting a ton again?

Warner held his hand as he was dying on that patch of grass, you're being ridiculous.

Warner held his hand as he was dying on that patch of grass, you're being ridiculous.
And sadly people do the same for loved ones everyday. For people much closer to them than a cricket mate too.

Compare the grieving of those much closer to Hughes who have gone through their intense pain privately and personally.

I think the displays of public emotion by the players have been mainly done in a manner befitting Phillip's very sad demise. The gesture of Warner placing his hand on Phillip's plaque was touching. But I maintain the kissing the ground was excessive and had a little bit of attention seeking about it.

And sadly people do the same for loved ones everyday. For people much closer to them than a cricket mate too.

Compare the grieving of those much closer to Hughes who have gone through their intense pain privately and personally.

I think the displays of public emotion by the players have been mainly done in a manner befitting Phillip's very sad demise. The gesture of Warner placing his hand on Phillip's plaque was touching. But I maintain the kissing the ground was excessive and had a little bit of attention seeking about it.
Um lol. See just because they played cricket together doesn't mean the were just cricket mates only. You think players don't have genuine friendships? Heck, I play cricket with my best mate since we were little, but we became mates off the field long before cricket. There was really no one closer to Hughes than Warner.

Um lol. See just because they played cricket together doesn't mean the were just cricket mates only. You think players don't have genuine friendships? Heck, I play cricket with my best mate since we were little, but we became mates off the field long before cricket. There was really no one closer to Hughes than Warner.

Michael-Clarke_2652356b.jpg

At the risk of being labelled insensitive I agree. It is only natural that Hughe's mates and team mates will grieve for him for the rest of their lives. It is something they will probably never fully get over.

However If it was a club cricketer who had passed away in similarly tragic circumstances would his equally good mates continue to mourn him in such an ostentatious manner every time they reached 63 or got a ton 6 weeks later? I doubt it.

I have no doubt such continued public displays are in part due to having the television cameras focussed on the players to see how they react each time a milestone is reached. It is starting to become a little cringeworthy and morbid.

At the risk of being labelled insensitive I agree. It is only natural that Hughe's mates and team mates will grieve for him for the rest of their lives. It is something they will probably never fully get over.

However If it was a club cricketer who had passed away in similarly tragic circumstances would his equally good mates continue to mourn him in such an ostentatious manner every time they reached 63 or got a ton 6 weeks later? I doubt it.

I have no doubt such continued public displays are in part due to having the television cameras focussed on the players to see how they react each time a milestone is reached. It is starting to become a little cringeworthy and morbid.
It was the first time they'd played on that ground since *it* happened.

I'm not sure any of us can say how these players should or shouldn't react in circumstances like this. It's not hurting anyone, and if seeing a tribute like that and finding it a little cringeworthy is the worst thing that comes out of all this for you, you're doing okay.

It was on that patch of grass. The first time he's played there since it happened. They weren't doing it in Brisbane or Melbourne.

You can't talk about how the players are continuing it beyond all reason when it was the first time Warner had played the SCG since the tragic incident. He got to 63* and kissed the exact spot that one of his best mates died as he held his hand and cradled him.

I wouldn't expect him to do it the next time that he plays the SCG. I think it's fair enough that he did it this time.

As for comparing it to everyday people, who's to say they wouldn't do the same every time they visited a crash site? Telling someone how to handle their personal grief is shithouse.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

we're arguing over semantics, but you did say before no one was closer to hughes than warner.
I mean basically when I said "really", poor choice of words. Maybe a cattle farmer or a school friend we don't know about or something. Hughes and Warner were really very close.

This is an odd conversation. Leaning in towards the creepy zone. I've got a core group of 4 or 5 really close mates. I don't have them in a speed dial style ranking system and if I were to suddenly pass I wonder if they or other people I don't know would sit around discussing what order they ranked in my non existent ranking system

The post of someone who begins such a tragic topic as this with 'lol' shows gross immaturity and really should be treated with disdain.

Had you assimilated my posts you'd have got that my comments related to some of the recent displays of grief being over the top rather than a cricket mate feeling anguish and showing it as has mostly occurred.

To suggest "no one was closer to Hughes" is fanciful. The excruciating loss of a son would be but one illustration let alone other members of Phillip's immediate family. Then there's Clarke, as has been pointed out.

As special as Phillip was to many, no one should be made to be greater in death than he was in life. And I reckon we are getting into that territory now.

The cricketers themselves should be able to show respect and grieve as long as necessary, they (and family and friends) were a lot closer to him then anyone else. Happy they are channeling the emotion and paying tribute to their comrade through playing the sport he loved.

However, don't think the media really needs to be aboard this train of emotion forever. The eulogy is beginning to become a bit long winded and contrived from channel 9 et al.

I don't hear the BBL commentators rabbiting on consistently about players with 408 on their helmets or bats, we all know why it's there and that's fine. Phil Hughes was universally loved by all players, his death was tragic and perversely unique in the cricketing lexicon, but in time everyone will move on - he will always be remembered fondly by the cricketing community at large. The hype around the acknowledgements will die down, but it wouldn't surprise me if Warner and others always acknowledge 63 from here on in.

I don't hear the BBL commentators rabbiting on consistently about players with 408 on their helmets or bats, we all know why it's there and that's fine. Phil Hughes was universally loved by all players, his death was tragic and perversely unique in the cricketing lexicon, but in time everyone will move on - he will always be remembered fondly by the cricketing community at large. The hype around the acknowledgements will die down, but it wouldn't surprise me if Warner and others always acknowledge 63 from here on in.

fantastic way of summising the situation. and good point about the ch 10 commentators and bbl getting on with things. certainly during strikers games (who phil played for) there hasnt been the dropping of his name at every opportunity.

will be interesting to see what happens next season, or during the wold cup, if these tributes are repeated at the scg and adelaide oval.

I hope that after this test, the media stops this eulogy. Dragging it on beyond this test would be like pop musicians still paying tribute to Michael Jackson.

The players I feel most sorry for are the South Australian team. They have lost a current team mate and must be acutely aware of it every time they go out to play. I understand that Warner, Smith, Clarke etc. have lost a friend and but I don't quite see why they are continually paying tribute to him on the cricket ground in matches. What if they were all making ducks, how would they honour him then?

Last edited:
wonder if the plaque can be redone after the test so it resembles more

It is just a plaque! Seriously. It is purely for the players, it doesn't matter what it looks like that much.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back