Vale Phillip Hughes - 1988 - 2014

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just over 2 weeks ago I returned to the Cricket field for the first time in about 8 years, not because I wanted to make runs or take wickets but because I wanted to play with my friend.

Phillip Joel Hughes was a friend of many as shown by the endless list of stars that came to his bedside, led by the Australian captain and close friend Michael Clarke who stayed at his side only leaving for a few hours rest over night, only to return in a early hours of the next morning to again stay by his side.

So when you go out this weekend to play whatever sport, game or activity you chose to partake in please remember that above all else, friendship and sportsmanship are what matter most.

My thoughts now turn to Sean Abbott.
I can not imagine the thoughts that are running through your head right now, I just hope your know that everybody is behind you and nobody would ever blame you, least of all Hughesy.

Sleep well Hughesy and stay strong Sean.

10805769_10152872397739313_6658521218989630021_n.jpg

Devastated.

R.I.P. Young fella, gone, but most certainly not forgotten.

Condolences to the Hughes family, Abbott and the cricketing world in general.

I am honestly speechless and left feeling numb.

I was absolutely shocked and stunned when I first heard the news, I didn't even know him or anyone connected to him personally and I left soo emotional after hearing he passed away. I have no idea how those close to him must feel, especially Sean Abott...words can't even begin to describe how he must be feeling along with those close to Phillip Hughes.

RIP Phillip Hughes, you were an amazing batsmen and from all reports a better bloke. You will be missed but never forgotten. Prayers and thoughts to your family and friends, along with prayers to Sean Abott. I hope he realizes that this was not his fault and he is not going through this alone, we are all here to go through this with you mate. We are by your side.

It's a real shame that someone like Phillip Hughes who seemed to be a genuine person has to die yet there are oxygen thieving keyboard warriors like them wasting oxygen. Can't remember feeling this way about the death of someone I didn't know and I've been trying to hold back the tears but that picture ep2006 posted did it for me, devastating yet beautiful.
I haven't felt like this about someone I hadn't met apart from Tom Hafey I think.

What I said before, just name him 12th man, make the Brisbane test or first test of every summer the Phil Hughes Test, like the Pink test but money going to brain rather than breast
Great idea.

That and make the SA v NSW match each season a Phil Hughes Shield match, much like Scott Mason one with Tas vs Vic

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Would naming him12th man be legal? I can understand they could make amendments for this case, but in general is it feasible?

It would be allowed.

I mean half the time in Australian tests the actual 12th man leaves the ground and plays sheffield shield and some local 2nd XI player does the 12th mans work.

I really hope if we do make the world cup final that Hughes is named 12th man. Would be a fitting and appropriate tribute to a player who has not only worked his hardest for his own position but always supported his teammates

Rules can be broken in certain circumstances. This situation warrants the rules being bent.
Yes I understand that and hope they do. But thats not the answer im looking for.
By law, does someone have to be living to be named 12th man? I know you may not know the answer but its my question anyone.

Yes I understand that and hope they do. But thats not the answer im looking for.
By law, does someone have to be living to be named 12th man? I know you may not know the answer but its my question anyone.
I'd imagine you would have to be living to be a registered first class cricketer, and a registered first class cricketer to be 12th man.

Just a guess, may be wrong.

I don't think it's a law because it's a scenario that has never come up. Probably like how it took Trevor Chappell bowling underarm to ban underarm bowling

I'd imagine you would have to be living to be a registered first class cricketer, and a registered first class cricketer to be 12th man.

Just a guess, may be wrong.
I agree with this
I don't think it's a law because it's a scenario that has never come up. Probably like how it took Trevor Chappell bowling underarm to ban underarm bowling
but also agree with this.

Either way I hope he's named 12th for the first test... wherever and whenever that may be.

Two sides in Kolkata observing a minutes silence before a game today.

B3dA77xCcAApBQC.jpg:large
This is cricket. This is why the game will go on. This is the game that we and Phillip love and loved.

Hughes could be named as 12th man for the entire series, I dont see any official or cricket board having any issue with this.

I'd be more than happy for this to go ahead, I think it'd be a great mark of respect. I just think him being named in the actual XI and then playing with only 9 wickets in hand is a bit too left of field.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back