Vale Phillip Hughes - 1988 - 2014

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think it's time for bed. I've shed too many tears, spoken to too many men that i thought were unflappable hardasses but who have turned out human like is, and i've probably had a few too many stiff scotches.... This hurts so much.

Watched the Sunday night clip twice. Just numb. Holy s**t I can't imagine what his family is going through. Life is so fickle.

I'll still never forget his 138* down here in Hobart last year in the One Dayer. Just so happened to be his highest score too. Single handedly won that match on his own and pulled the series back to a draw with Sri Lanka.

He even scored the same in the Shield final down here in 2011 with NSW and almost won that match.

B3cbVwKCcAA7REn.jpg:large

Saw this on twitter

Best cartoon Satish will ever do.

The world is mourning if thats any way to find some peace, its in news in China/Canada too. Well, i am almost numb now. Cricket will probably not be same again for some time to come.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I wrote in another thread how messed up my head was this morning without really understanding how much the news had hit me. Waking up to news such as this (it had happened about an hour before I woke up) was just one of the worst things you could imagine. I thought for sure he was going to hit the bottom and then slowly (or even quickly) start to resurface. Alas, that seems to have been a dream. To lose someone who played a game in the right spirit and never thought he was owed anything and always fought for everything he got and was grateful, it is an absolute tragedy.

Tragedy is a word too easily used in sport, but this is the one time where it is absolutely appropriate. The world is poorer for his passing.

RIP Hughesy. You were a legend. You will always be a legend.

Don't look up twitter comments about Sean Abbott

Some pretty disgusting comments there
I'm not going to look them up because I don't need to get angry this early in the day, but this underlines why he needs that support so badly at the moment.

For all the lovely sentiments being expressed here and by cricket fans and people in general in regards to Abbott...there's always one.

There is always one moron out there who will do their best to tarnish it. And just one has the potential to undo all the good the support Abbott has got and will get.

There are a minority of people who are just irretrievably s**t.

Abbott contributed to an injury that only 100 people (not sportspeople....PEOPLE) have had and no cricketer has ever had before. If the ball was one inch to the left or right, they are having a beer together and Hughesy is calling him a bastard for giving him a massive bruise on his neck. He will feel like he killed his mate. And that is true and untrue at the same time. He didn't mean it. There is no way he could have meant it or known that the same ball he has bowled a thousand times would end up with this result. But it happened.

We need to make sure he knows that whatever guilt he has over the death of his mate is not based on remorse for a deliberate act, but regret for an action that had a terrible and accidental result. He will always feel like he killed his mate. But it was a one in a billion shot. You can't blame yourself for that. It's not fair. And the people that are blaming him need to take a good hard look in the mirror and think of all the times they have done something that could have had a catastrophic result if not for blind luck.

Abbott and Hughes just drew the short straw this time. Usually that straw isn't even in the pile...

Sean Abbott has absolutely nothing to reproach himself for, although of course he will. He wasn't trying to hurt Hughes, much less kill him. He was trying to get him out, which bowlers have done countless times with bouncers. And failing that he was trying to keep him honest, let him know he's in a contest, perhaps even to get him to think twice before coming forward. These pinheads who are sounding off about Abbott have nothing whatsoever to do with cricket, or indeed simple human decency.

After the two (Bianchi/Schumacher) I've seen recently the idea of Phil not making it just didn't occur to me. The impact was so different and (presumably) so much less I just didn't think it possible. Shocked. Completely shocked.

i last night found myself watching foxsports news on loop. before i knew it 2 hours had passed.

woke this morning with red puffy eyes. decided to tell the boss (me) im not working today. just cant.

i didnt know hughes like some posters here....but when robert flower (who i knew) passed on i felt sick and couldnt do anything for days. i imagine its how those who knew if feel.

The support being shown for Abbott across our country and the entire world has been amazing.

I woke up feeling absolutely devastated this morning and seeing a picture of Sean Abbott with Simon Katich just broke my heart.

Feel so sorry for this kid... he doesn't deserve this.

Some sensible words from Matthew Hoggard:

"It's going to be a tough road for Sean to come back. But Phil wouldn't hold it against him and would want him to continue his career. We've lost one person through a freak accident and we don't want to see someone else's career be lost too."

Don't think I've ever hurt so bad for someone I didn't know. It's just heartbreaking a life can be ended by such dumb luck.
People's lives are ended by dumb luck all over the world every day. The difference here is, because we tend to place our sportspeople on such pedestals, you start to think of them, without even really realising it, as invincible.

And, there's another important difference; cricket is not a violent sport. When a boxer dies, or a bullfighter, or even a skeleton competitor because that's so ridiculously risky, it's far less surprising because the sports by their very nature are dangerous.

I think we take it for granted that yes, cricket can be a risky sport, but not a deadly one. And, on 999999 occasions out of a million, it's not deadly. Challenging, but not deadly.

Something like this happening just shatters that innocence.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back