News & Events Vale Phillip Hughes

Remove this Banner Ad

It was nothing but a freak accident that cost a young man the majority of his life. Very sad, hollowing and gutting to hear, one of those times you feel the colour come out of your face – and I casually follow cricket at most. Sad stuff. Here's hoping it doesn't become a media circus and respect's maintained.

I cannot believe how sad I feel at the news of his death. I don't generally grieve for those that I've never met, but this is gut -wrenching. Rest In Peace Phil

Many others also recognized the wave of emotion sweep by a few minutes after news hit social media, as thousands all paused and reflected and contacted those near to them, at the same time. We are all connected. Everyone of us has all returned to a very personal memory as result of this event.

It was nothing but a freak accident that cost a young man the majority of his life. Very sad, hollowing and gutting to hear, one of those times you feel the colour come out of your face – and I casually follow cricket at most. Sad stuff. Here's hoping it doesn't become a media circus and respect's maintained.[/QUOTE]

Regretably it already has.

RIP Phil, you always gave it your best shot.

Tragic is the only word comes to mind.

I've barely been able to muster a thought for three hours.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I always used to joke that you played cricket because you could be lazy bastard and you weren't too likely to get hurt, it was the perfect sport for me. Part of the game died for me today and now I sit here red eyed and bereft.
RIP :cry:

I feel the same, I love cricket and have played since I was a young fella. It's brought many happy memories to my life. However, with the passing of Phillip Hughes, I feel in shock and just extremely sad. A part of my love for the sport died today. Just so tragic and my heart goes out to his family and friends. I also spare a thought for young Abbott at this time. It wasn't his fault. Poor lad.

RIP Phil.

Yes. Sean Abbott will be in a very dark place at the moment, I imagine.

I just hope he is able to come to terms with it. Obviously it wasn't his fault, it was a freak accident of the worst kind.

What happens with the rest of his cricket career is pretty secondary to my hope that he finds a way to cope with the devastation he'd be feeling at the moment. Can't even begin to imagine what it'd be like being in his shoes.

I too am not one to usually grieve for those I haven't met but this has absolutely knocked the stuffing out of me. I think it's because he died playing a sport that he loved, a sport that is largely considered safe and at the (accidental) hand of his mate who will have to live with that for the rest of his life. Just about as tragic a situation as you can imagine.

I too am not one to usually grieve for those I haven't met but this has absolutely knocked the stuffing out of me. I think it's because he died playing a sport that he loved, a sport that is largely considered safe and at the (accidental) hand of his mate who will have to live with that for the rest of his life. Just about as tragic a situation as you can imagine.
It's not that he died playing a sport he loved.

He went to work one day and never came home. That's the worst part.

Nobody should go to work and not return. RIP to all the Aussie workers who have died on the job this year.

Seriously felt sick in my stomach when I heard the news today. Had been praying for the last 2 days that he would make it through.

25 years old with the world at his feet. I'm 27 and feel like my life is just beginning so to hear of someone younger than me having his life cut short doing something he loved just cut me deep.

Never met him but seemed like a great fella.

RIP Phil Hughes.

Thoughts are with his family. Can't imagine how they feel right now.

25 years old with the world at his feet. I'm 27 and feel like my life is just beginning so to hear of someone younger than me having his life cut short doing something he loved just cut me deep.
I'm 26 (only four months older than Phillip), so I'm in the same boat. The closeness in age shouldn't really matter, I know. But somehow it hits a little closer to home when there is that closeness.

This is just horrible. Just makes no sense.

I hope in time his family and friends find some small comfort in the fact that he fell exactly where he belonged: at the wicket, swinging his bat at fearsome first class bowling.

He was born to do it, and tragically died doing it.

Think about people you know in their late teens. Then think about Phillip Hughes getting on a plane at age 20, travelling to Africa and flaying the best bowling attack on the planet to all corners of the ground - for a century in both innings of the test.

And then telling the officials he wasn't sure if he should be at the close of play press conference... Because who would want to hear from him? Just a kid playing his shots, like he always had!

RIP Philip, your life and your career were tragically brief, yet amazing to watch.

I woke up this morning to this news (it was only an hour old) and it was not what I wanted to hear, obviously. I didn't realise how much it had stunned me until I was in the shower 10 minutes later getting ready for work when I absent mindedly poured the shower gel into my hand and then proceeded to put it in my hair thinking it was shampoo. My brain was elsewhere. All day at work I was making mistakes in my speech (I work as an English teacher here) and having to apologise a lot. For someone that you have never met to affect you so much, it shows how much we invest in our sportsmen and women. I personally don't think it is a bad thing, but it shouldn't affect us this much.

But it does. On a purely human level, this is a young man cut down in the prime of his life, let alone his career. No parent should have to bury their son or daughter so early in their life. It is just wrong. As Sutherland said in his statement, we use the word tragedy so often in sport that we forget what real tragedy is. This is one of those moments. A young man, a son, a brother, a friend and a hero to kids everywhere is gone forever. It doesn't get much more tragic than that.

I can say I had the privilege to see him play live. I will now cherish those memories as I am sure many will. The idea that we will never see him play again is a difficult one to grasp. But I like the idea of him being forever 63 not out. Undefeated. An endless innings. When you reach 63, raise your bat in tribute to him. It is a milestone to be remembered now and forever. We can never forget him.

RIP Hughesy. You little legend.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back