Toast Vale Robert Flower (1955 - 2014, 272 games, Captain, HoF member, Legend)

Remove this Banner Ad

:( absolutely shocked and saddened
why is the Melbourne Football Club stricken with all these young deaths of past champions :cry:

RIP Robbie, gentleman and champion of the game taken far too soon, Condolences to his family & friends, also to the Melbourne Football club and all Melbourne supporters :hearts:

Very sad news, RIP Robbie..

Had the great pleasure of seeing you play many times, you were an absolute Champion..
One of the fairest players, who was sniped often by other teams,
you just dazzled them with brilliance...
An ornament of the game...gone but never forgotten..

So many blokes in that era came to the realisation that you needed to be a thug yourself to survive in the game.

This bloke is what really epitomised toughness. He maintained his values as to how the play the game in an era where you had to be tough to do that.

Just had a listen to him on Open Mike on youtube.

Absolutely shattering news, probably the best player ever to wear a Melbourne jumper, stuck by this club to tough time and should of been the man to present Nathan Jones with our next premiership cup.

RIP Robbie

Robbie Flower was the best winger and the best Melbourne player I've seen. A great state game player, when state games meant something. Fast, agile, superb skills on both sides. A marvellous player to watch. One of my all-time favorites.

The other day I was watching the State off Origin game between SA and Victoria in 1983. Even though Victoria had played 2 games in three days and lost, Robert Flower was brilliant. 30+ disposals and 4 goals in a losing effort despite two games in 3 days? Incredible. Probably does not get the respect he deserves from non Demons people.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The first MFC jumper I owned in 1981 had the number two on the back. Funnily enough I have a photo of me wearing it, in of all places the snow at Mt Buller.

A sad day.

My condolences to the family and friends and to the Melbourne Football club's players and supporters.

I was shocked at the news. Robbie was elite……a champion in the true sense of the word. All class on and off the field.

Words are not enough to explain just how good he was. For those that didn't see him play, take some time and look up some highlights.

A very sad day indeed. RIP Robbie.

R.I.P Tulip , you were a shining lite in an era of darkness for the MFC , gone but will never be forgotten . Vale Robbie Flower .

I'm shattered. The greatest player to put on a Melbourne Football Club jumper. My childhood idol, who brightened up my darkest days at the football during the 70's and early 80's.

RIP Robbie. Legend
I wanted to say that but didn't want to belittle other MFC legends like Barass who I didn't see play...

Robbie Flower was,

fast as lightning, very skinny for a VFL footballer,

Had silky skills and was totally fearless, his attack on the ball was a joy to watch,

Was just a freak of a footballer, and so polite, the perfect gent...

Never saw him go the snipe, yet he would be sniped week in week out, he was the "tagged" one in those, sadly "tagged" had a different meaning...

He just got on with business,

at the end of his career, Melbourne were bound to win a flag till he dislocated his shoulder in the 3rd quarter,

He'd kicked four or five till that point...

Sadly Jimmy ran over the mark and the hawks beat the cats the next week....Robbie deserved that flag...he was incredible as a forward who used to play wing that series....never forgotten....absolute GUN....

And let us not forget that he stood with us on that night in 1996 at Dallas Brookes Hall and said no - * you Hawthorn. The same could not be said of so many of his team-mates and other former players.

RIP. Before my time but s**t considering the way he is remembered in the game and absolutely cause of age. Vale.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back