Vale Spock

Remove this Banner Ad

Leonard Nimoy, or let's face it Mr Spock, has passed away aged 83. He had end stage chronic obstructive pulmonary disease.

Dif-tor heh smusma

Leonard Nimoy, Spock of Star Trek, dies aged 83

Article%20Lead%20-%20wide6677970013rbllimage.related.articleLeadwide.729x410.13rbjo.png1425065932574.jpg-620x349.jpg

From ABC Radio's flagship current affairs program AM

http://www.abc.net.au/am/content/2015/s4188714.htm

ELIZABETH JACKSON: Leonard Nimoy, the man who played the pointy-eared Spock on Star Trek, has died at the age of 83.

Fellow actors have today described him as "noble" and "extraordinary".

Here's our North America correspondent, Michael Vincent.

(Sound of music: Star Trek TV series theme by Alexander Courage)

MICHAEL VINCENT: In 1966 Leonard Nimoy was a freelance actor when he was cast as Spock for the Star Trek TV series.

WILLIAM SHATNER (as James Kirk): These are the voyages of the Starship Enterprise.

MICHAEL VINCENT: The half-human, half-Vulcan character was meant to be unemotional, a counter to the character of Captain Kirk.

But Leonard Nimoy said, as an actor trained to emote, he found it difficult - until one scene early on that became definitive.

LEONARD NIMOY: There was a scene in which the ship was being threatened by some outside problem, some outside dangerous force. And we were looking at this thing on the screen and everybody else was reacting, "Oh, look at it! Blah-blah-blah-blah-blah," and I got caught up in that energy and I said, "FASCINATING."

And the director said - ah, gave me a brilliant note - he said, "Be different. Be the scientist. Be detached. See it as something that's a curiosity rather than a threat."

Thank you. I said, "Fascinating." Well, a big chunk of the character was born right there.

MICHAEL VINCENT: He said the writers of the show would then write it into each script.

Then there were other key elements to the character, like the eyebrow raises.

LEONARD NIMOY: I have a natural tendency - always did - to do that: to respond with an eyebrow. I just never thought about it, I just did. And, ah, I guess I must have done it in a scene when somebody says something and I just... that was my reaction.

And on the next script the next week, I see where a writer had written somebody says something to me and it would say, "Spock lifts an eyebrow." I thought, "Oh, that's working." (laughs)

MICHAEL VINCENT: Leonard Nimoy said the Vulcan salute came from his childhood memories of attending Orthodox synagogue where he would see rabbis raise both hands with fingers split in two and outstretched thumb.

LEONARD NIMOY: I had no idea what they were saying but they were doing this with their hands to the congregation, both hands.

INTERVIEWER: Wow.

LEONARD NIMOY: Got their heads covered with their prayer shawls and out from under the prayer shawls they're sticking these hands doing this. (laughs) I thought, "That's pretty magical."

http://www.abc.net.au/am/content/2015/s4188714.htm

and

WILLIAM SHATNER: First and foremost is a long and deep friendship - love - that I have for Leonard. He is in essence the brother I never had.

MICHAEL VINCENT: Leonard Nimoy died of chronic obstructive pulmonary disease. He gave up smoking 30 years ago; he said he wished he'd done it sooner.

Leonard Nimoy's final tweet: "A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had but not preserved, except in memory. L.L.A.P."

Live long and prosper.

REH, sometimes I read your posts in Spock's voice
I read somewhere today where he commented how real scientists would sometimes ask him for advice on projects
Haha I wish I had as deep and rich tones to my voice as Leonard had rather than my high pitch Aussie twang.

Spock, Bones, Scotty, The First Lady of Star Trek, Pike, Sarek & Gene Roddenberry are now all gone into space, the final frontier, boldly going where no live man has gone before.

I miss them all.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back