Roast Vanilla

Remove this Banner Ad

Clearly there is a pejorative element. It's never used as a compliment, is it?

Have you ever heard anything celebrated or praised for being 'vanilla'?

I know what it's intended to mean. The point is that it adds nothing – people just like the sound of it because they think it makes them sound more observant and cutting-edge. Like when people started talking about HBFs as "quarterbacks". Stupid, pretentious bullshit.

What's wrong with the existing vocabulary?

Oh, please. Spare me the cookie-cutter etymology lesson. Did you read that on the back of a cornflakes box?

Languages develop over hundreds of years through migration, changes in social structure and the advent of technology. A voguishly stupid way of talking about footballers isn't 'developing the language'.
Im not trying to teach you Ian. Im also not trying to espouse myself as any kind of expert. Im also not arguing with you, so why make it personal?

Pffft:

2-bj_clusterfluff2.JPG
Your peanuts can suck mine. Boysenberry is the s**t

(Log in to remove this ad.)

"The whole point is that it's not a uniquely football term. It refers to the flavour of ice cream. That's why it is stupid"

Hahaha.
Nice one Ian Dargie. I usually find your posts entertaining and relatively intelligent. Stupid would be telling people that vanilla is not a football term and refers to a flavour of ice cream. You do realise that vanilla preceded ice cream and was not a result of ice cream. Your pedantic posting is not up to its usual form. It is also not a uniquely ice cream term. I think you will find upon further research that vanilla is an independent entity that can exist outside of the ice cream world that you wish to restrict it to.

"The whole point is that it's not a uniquely football term. It refers to the flavour of ice cream. That's why it is stupid"

Hahaha.
Nice one Ian Dargie. I usually find your posts entertaining and relatively intelligent. Stupid would be telling people that vanilla is not a football term and refers to a flavour of ice cream. You do realise that vanilla preceded ice cream and was not a result of ice cream. Your pedantic posting is not up to its usual form. It is also not a uniquely ice cream term. I think you will find upon further research that vanilla is an independent entity that can exist outside of the ice cream world that you wish to restrict it to.
I guess what he means is that vanilla only gets the meaning we are referring to in the icecream context.

If you choose vanilla icecream over all of the other choices, you're simply being boring, risk-averse and unimaginative.

I actually think that is the true definition of vanilla in the metaphorical sense, and should mostly be applied to recruiting choices.

Dont really get the vanilla hate. I am as disillusioned as anyone with our midfield post Kerr, but saying they are vanilla is disrespectful to vanilla. What I have seen this year are tofu midfielders and carob midfielders.

Nice one Ian Dargie. I usually find your posts entertaining and relatively intelligent.
Who should I make it out to?

It is also not a uniquely ice cream term. I think you will find upon further research that vanilla is an independent entity that can exist outside of the ice cream world that you wish to restrict it to.
I never said it was "a uniquely ice cream term". Did I?

My point is that it's definitely not a "uniquely football term", as another poster claimed. You act like you're correcting me, when you're actually doubling down on my point. You are effectively saying that my argument is even more true than the way I've made it. Your criticism is that I didn't put it strongly enough.

Duly noted. Thanks for your support.

PS. Let me know if you need some help figuring out how to use the quote function.

Last edited:
I think people use 'Vanilla' to describe a players attributes, not their ability to perform at AFL level.

Reminds me of an analogy used in Hajime no Ippo, where competitors are likened to rocks getting sifted out; Large rocks will stay, pointy ones can hang on, but well rounded ones that are to small will fall through.
Agreed.

i used this term a few days back with regard to Carter which i think may have prompted this thread.

Personally, I think it's the most succinct way of commenting on ones attributes without commenting or being misconstrued as commenting on their performance.

For the record, I don't consider Black or Mitchell to be vanilla as someone suggested earlier (Ian Dargie perhaps?). They were/are elite in various facets. The term vanilla goes beyond physical traits.

Stop being a knob.

I always find this an interesting comment.

I get why you feel it's needed but it'd be much fairer to use such comments in line with a broader related strategy that involved comments like:

"Stop being borderline *ed".

"Stop being a semi literate arsehat"

"Stop being really really really dumb"

As I've discussed with the mods on here before there seems a genuine positive discrimination for idiots policy on the board.

I mean you either take shots at the stupid AND their superiors or you leave both alone :p

I always find this an interesting comment.

I get why you feel it's needed but it'd be much fairer to use such comments in line with a broader related strategy that involved comments like:

"Stop being borderline ******ed".

"Stop being a semi literate arsehat"

"Stop being really really really dumb"

As I've discussed with the mods on here before there seems a genuine positive discrimination for idiots policy on the board.

I mean you either take shots at the stupid AND their superiors or you leave both alone :p
You and Gunnar should hang out ;)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back