Varcoe or Garlett

Remove this Banner Ad

This response is laughable. Garlett kicked 39 goals in 20 games in 2010, 48 goals in 2012 in 2011.

You could count on one hand the number of small forwards in the competition who've managed that...even fewer who's managed that in their first three years.

In two of his three years he kicked more goals than Davis ever did in an individual season (in a career spanning 12 years).

Yep, if the argument is about who's a better small forward, it's not even a contest.

Agree to an extent that Varcoe offers a lot around the ground as well, but I'm old-fashioned - you judge forwards on how many goals they kick.

Not a lot between them to be honest.

Fair arguments for both and for those saying that Garlett doesn't move up the ground, that is changing also.
I doubt either club would care to swap the players, so pretty even for mine.

I read somewhere the other day that Carlton are planning to use Garlett on the half back line at times during the season, to beat the press and to get him into the game if he's having a quiet one up forward. He trained with the defence on occasion during pre-season, so it may well happen in a few games this year. Jeffy is not happy about this apparently. "If I was a coach I'd leave me in the forward line" :p

I read somewhere the other day that Carlton are planning to use Garlett on the half back line at times during the season, to beat the press and to get him into the game if he's having a quiet one up forward. He trained with the defence on occasion during pre-season, so it may well happen in a few games this year. Jeffy is not happy about this apparently. "If I was a coach I'd leave me in the forward line" :p

That's true and I think it's a good thing long term for Jeffy, whether he agrees or not.

That's true and I think it's a good thing long term for Jeffy, whether he agrees or not.

Oh for sure. There's a lot of Wanganeen in Garlett as far as the way he moves. Could be a real offensive weapon in the back half for us if he is switched there during games. Even more so than Yarran, as he is quicker and a much better mark.

That's 100% true, I think Jeffy would give them a bit of pace in the defence running into the mid.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back