HawkMongrel

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 15, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
MVFC, Aston Villa
lol I love how feral the Colliflogs got last night about that free kick.

If they had ever learned how to read they might understand the rule better.

Rioli dropped his head because contact was already coming. If he left it up he was leaving the ground on a stretcher. And he especially didn't lurch forward looking for it. It was already coming courtesy of Varcoe.

Varcoe chose to try a bump rather than tackle, and while he tried to move slightly at the last second he still got him flush.

Report? Not a chance. Free kick? 110% every day of the week.

Now stop sooking and go have a chat with your mate Travis Choke about that goalkicking thing.

smeltitdeltit

Premiership Player
Jul 2, 2012
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Yup

But it's okay, learnt a lot of new rules last night. It's also ok to just drop the ******* ball, not once, but twice, my players don't have necks, (Jamie says hi) and some marks are not marks, im really not sure why!
Get your hand off it.
Varcoe will be fine.
Are you really are you really that petty?
Want me to list the frees not paid to us?
Youre allowed to bend over to pick up the ball, and that player will always ALWAYS be looked after.

HawkMongrel

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 15, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
MVFC, Aston Villa
I went through a list of the bullshit decisions that didn't go our way last night because a Pie mate of mine was having a teary.

Made him look pretty stupid by the end of it.

Both sides copped some rough ones, but both those Rioli frees were 100% spot on. Learn to tackle ffs.

Aug 12, 2014
P-town
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Swan Districts, Prescot Cables
Varcoe will be fine, was getting down to pick the ball up, Cyril just got there quicker and got in lower. Free kick, play on.
As a neutral supporter, umpiring was fine. The early one to Rioli for high contact that resulted in one of his goals was rubbish, but that was evened up in the last with a very soft free to the Pies that ended up being a goal.

MagpieJo

Premium Platinum
Nov 30, 2013
AFL Club
Collingwood
Get your hand off it.
Varcoe will be fine.
Are you really are you really that petty?
Want me to list the frees not paid to us?
Youre allowed to bend over to pick up the ball, and that player will always ALWAYS be looked after.
Jamie Elliot did the same thing, and was pinged for 'contact below the knees" what was the difference, he didn't duck his head at all, eyes on the ball, hit your players legs, why no free for Jamie?

smeltitdeltit

Premiership Player
Jul 2, 2012
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Jamie Elliot did the same thing, and was pinged for 'contact below the knees" what was the difference, he didn't duck his head at all, eyes on the ball, hit your players legs, why no free for Jamie?
Contact below the knees is the most haphazard rule in the game. You'll go crazy dissecting that one.

You did get one for contact below the knees in the last that certainly wasn't there, where's your outrage over receiving that free that you shouldn't have? Or do you only whinge about bad umpiring when it goes against you?

HawkMongrel

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 15, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
MVFC, Aston Villa
Contact below the knees is the most haphazard rule in the game. You'll go crazy dissecting that one.

You did get one for contact below the knees in the last that certainly wasn't there, where's your outrage over receiving that free that you shouldn't have? Or do you only whinge about bad umpiring when it goes against you?

Bet she has no problem with Cloke's goal from the boundary after face-palming Duryea.

MagpieJo

Premium Platinum
Nov 30, 2013
AFL Club
Collingwood

Um yeah, of course I do!

But I'll do it for other teams I hate too, for example you should have heard me during the GF if the AFL Affiliate team got any frees! Don't think the bombers deserve any either!

wallyt99

Club Legend
Jun 9, 2007
Bay 13
AFL Club
Hawthorn
It made up for the 2 directly in front he didn't kick! :eek::p

He gets raped every week, was so good to see him not getting pinged if he farted!

The contested mark with Lake (to award the mark to cloke) was the right call. Cloke gets done regularly for it. It seems to be a bit random on when to pay / not pay those ones.

Cloke looked to show genuine remorse after the game. Smith wasn't having a bar of it. I think given the remorse shown I won't be peeved if he gets off. At worst - Careless, High, Medium. 1 down to 0?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hardhat11

Premiership Player
Jun 19, 2015
AFL Club
West Coast
Insufficient contact to hurt a flea

Nothing to see here people .....let's move on ffs

It's a free ...that's it

Did elect to bump (tucked arm and shoulder, side on body) and did get Rioli in the head as he bent to pick up the ball.

Clumsy and not malicious. Free kick was sufficient. Hoping he doesn't get anything but who knows with that lotto.

HawkMongrel

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 15, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
MVFC, Aston Villa
Hehe

Well after falling off horses, motorbikes etc, I'm happy I still have bone in my head! Cheers, we will get you next time and you can cry 'no fair'!

I don't cry "no fair" when we lose. I identify which of our players I'd like to crucify and start working on sourcing the wood.

When we lost to GWS and Essendon I had 22 crosses ready to go post-match.

BF Tiger

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 5, 2007
9th
AFL Club
Richmond
Free kick at most to Rioli. I would not have been surprised if the ump gave Varcoe the free for Cyril leading with his head (although he was just trying to gather the ball).

Free kick at most to Rioli. I would not have been surprised if the ump gave Varcoe the free for Cyril leading with his head (although he was just trying to gather the ball).
The leading with the head rule only applies if you already have possession of the ball, and you duck down after that. He was just bending over to pick up the ball (as you rightly said).

Varcoe clearly had eyes for the footy and was going low to contest the ball, like Rioli initially was when he bent down at the waist to pick the footy up. Rioli saw a chance a cheat a free, putting himself in an unsafe position and making a mockery of the head high rule, which is designed to protect the head, not encourage players to put themselves in potentially life threatening body positions by bending their neck, like Rioli done. It's the very reason the AFL again changed the rules to counter such dangerous head ducking acts. Varcoe after seeing Rioli's cheat, dropped down on his knees lowering his body position even more to minimise the risk that Rioli had put himself in. Forward movement of both players then lead to what should have been a play on impact.
I've read some dumb s**t in my time....but this is pretty good.

Yup

But it's okay, learnt a lot of new rules last night. It's also ok to just drop the ******* ball, not once, but twice, my players don't have necks, (Jamie says hi) and some marks are not marks, im really not sure why!
You don't think there were any Collingwood players who didn't dispose of the ball properly when tackled?

Open the other eye.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back