Varcoe Reported - forceful front on contact

A mod of all people resorting to petty comments like the above now I've seen it all. One would hope for some discussion instead of just poking fun at the poster, but I guess that's asking too much!
Some discussion based on a utterly ridiculous post about Rioli "seeing the chance to cheat"? Give me a spell.

Nov 25, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Some discussion based on a utterly ridiculous post about Rioli "seeing the chance to cheat"? Give me a spell.
You've posted in this thread 3 times, but contributed nothing except for potting posters who contributed and shared their views of the footy incident being discussed. If you don't agree with the opinions of others that's fine, but play the ball and have the guts to explain why you don't agree instead of going the man.

fabulousphil

Cancelled
10k Posts
Nov 29, 2001
perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
freo
Varcoes was potentially far more dangerous than Buddies, but in the end he held back as he should have.

Herne Hill Hammer

Cancelled
10k Posts
Jun 22, 2008
AFL Club
Geelong
I'd be pretty pissed off if I was Varcoe.

Rioli bends down to pick up the ball which he is obviously entitled to do, amazingly he fumbles, sees Varcoe approaching and ducks his head even further for the contact.

Dangerous from Cyril, he should be a sport and pay half of Varcoe's fine.

Rioli bends down to pick up the ball which he is obviously entitled to do, amazingly he fumbles, sees Varcoe approaching and ducks his head even further for the contact.

I love satire.

Sep 29, 2009
Belgrave
AFL Club
Geelong

I agree. Rioli ducking caused this incident. If anyone should be reported, its.....

Oct 7, 2014
?
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
49ers
You've posted in this thread 3 times, but contributed nothing except for potting posters who contributed and shared their views of the footy incident being discussed. If you don't agree with the opinions of others that's fine, but play the ball and have the guts to explain why you don't agree instead of going the man.

Agree. Expect better from someone in their position.

How many times do I have to explain the absurdity of "he saw the chance to cheat" to you, before you acknowledge it as the reason your post was derided?

Nov 25, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Agree. Expect better from someone in their position.

How many times do I have to explain the absurdity of "he saw the chance to cheat" to you, before you acknowledge it as the reason your post was derided?

Well said TWSHERRIN, but it seems even 8 days and half a round of footy later things don't change.

Echols There's plenty of incidents from this week to discuss, but no still you insist on taking cheap shots at someone who was merely stating their opinion contributing nothing to this thread in the process. For the record you potted more than "he saw the chance to cheat". This what you posted:

4g906.jpg

Maybe next time add some value to the discussion. Here's some ideas, since you seem short on them yourself

- why you think Rioli didn't duck, was he going for the ball with the second action to avoid contact?
- explain why/how Rioli didn't put himself in an unsafe position
- the difficulty for players to change how they attack the footy in those occasions, why they can't get more side on?
- the absence or risk of danger in front on contact to the top of the head and neck
- could Varcoe have done things differently
- what penalty should Varcoe be given
- the merits of the change to the head high rule
- is exploiting the rules to your advantage cheating
- or simply why you think I'm wrong

If any of that is too much effort and you don't have anything of value to add don't post, it's pretty simple.

FYI I'm not the only one with such views around the dangers of ducking your head. While the cheat comment could be considered strong I believe that any exploitation of the rules to your advantage (eg. bending your knees, shrugging a blokes arm up in a tackle, diving forward to extenuate a push in the back) is cheating. That's my opinion I'm happy to discuss footy, but it's obvious you're not and would rather take cheap shots like inferring someones a "dumb s**t".

Well said TWSHERRIN, but it seems even 8 days and half a round of footy later things don't change.

Echols There's plenty of incidents from this week to discuss, but no still you insist on taking cheap shots at someone who was merely stating their opinion contributing nothing to this thread in the process. For the record you potted more than "he saw the chance to cheat". This what you posted:

4g906.jpg

Maybe next time add some value to the discussion. Here's some ideas, since you seem short on them yourself

- why you think Rioli didn't duck, was he going for the ball with the second action to avoid contact?
- explain why/how Rioli didn't put himself in an unsafe position
- the difficulty for players to change how they attack the footy in those occasions, why they can't get more side on?
- the absence or risk of danger in front on contact to the top of the head and neck
- could Varcoe have done things differently
- what penalty should Varcoe be given
- the merits of the change to the head high rule
- is exploiting the rules to your advantage cheating
- or simply why you think I'm wrong

If any of that is too much effort and you don't have anything of value to add don't post, it's pretty simple.

FYI I'm not the only one with such views around the dangers of ducking your head. While the cheat comment could be considered strong I believe that any exploitation of the rules to your advantage (eg. bending your knees, shrugging a blokes arm up in a tackle, diving forward to extenuate a push in the back) is cheating. That's my opinion I'm happy to discuss footy, but it's obvious you're not and would rather take cheap shots like inferring someones a "dumb s**t".
The "dumb s**t" comment was clearly regarding the bolded part of the quote.

That you would think that your statement that Rioli 'saw the opportunity to cheat', or 'to put himself in an unsafe position to make a mockery of the head-high rule', is worthy of discussion says it all.

Highly doubt anyone is going to be willing to go into a detailed discussion with someone who is so eager to throw out such ridiculous "strong" comments.

Nov 25, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
The "dumb s**t" comment was clearly regarding the bolded part of the quote.

That you would think that your statement that Rioli 'saw the opportunity to cheat', or 'to put himself in an unsafe position to make a mockery of the head-high rule', is worthy of discussion says it all.

Highly doubt anyone is going to be willing to go into a detailed discussion with someone who is so eager to throw out such ridiculous "strong" comments.
That only one poster wasted their time and used it as an opportunity to pot another user and their opinion sadly says it all about what kind of person you are. As I've said numerous times if you don't have anything to add to the discussion simply don't post or reply to the opinions of others. No one else took the opportunity to have a childish crack at me and with you somehow being a mod I'd expect way better. A reply of "dumb s**t" to a post and every other comment of yours in this thread adds nothing worthwhile to the conversation and does nothing for the image of bigfooty or encouraging people to contribute.

Might I say congratulations though, I'm held this account since 2006 and through your childish retorts and desire to repeatedly have an unnecessary crack time and again without having the guts to share your views and discuss footy you're well and truly earned the undistinguished position of first user I want to place on ignore. Unfortunately and probably because bigfooty expects more from their mods I can't do so.

Last edited:
Back