Opinion Vent & Offtopic

gotassieboys

All Australian
Jul 13, 2011
AFL Club
Hawthorn
It is an interesting period coming up over the 5 weeks with Swans, Eagles, Cats, Hawks & Pies.

Management of players will be crucial, so that going into the end of the season the club can win enough games (and good form) to make the final eight.

Additionally the club would realise that is most likely there will be few if any wins over the next 5 weeks (although this would not be stated publicly).

With McKenzie being injured and a few players looking jaded and playing poorly, it is time to play some of the forgotten players in the reserves. This allows for the coaching staff to play the "forgotten players" over an extended period to determine whether they are good enough or whether they should be delisted at the end of the season.

Corkie

Premiership Player
Aug 6, 2013
Gold Coast
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Gold Coast United
Looks like new AFL CEO Gill is trying to tempt Travis Auld to be his #1 right hand man. Would be a massive loss to the Suns, but today's article in the Bully also says they wouldn't snatch Travis away from the Suns unless they had an equally good replacement ready. Fingers crossed he doesn't go, but kinda understand if he did! That would be a sweeeeet job!

Sep 30, 2010
Katherine, NT
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Tampa Bay Buccaneers, TB Lightning,
Sep 30, 2010
Katherine, NT
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
13 scoring shots isn't what I'd call a boring game.

That said, if you wanted to pick a game to sell over some new fans, this would be the last game you'd pick.

It is good in theory. The oldest club in Melbourne v the biggest club in Melbourne.

If both teams were up and about it could be a huge game

Two Planks

Norm Smith Medallist
May 14, 2012
AFL Club
Geelong
Please dont take this the wrong way. I think Gary Ablett is clearly the best player in the competition, But.

Does Gary Ablett care more about supercoach points and brownlow medals than team success. It seams to me he is best for the team getting 25 possessions and kicking 4 goals than getting 40 possessions in the middle or behind centre and dishing off. With the talent in the suns midfield I think Ablett has to be more damaging and run forward of the initial contest and not go back around the pack and clap his hands like a hungry seal wanting another cheap kick. He is nearly impossible to match up on in a marking contest and I think he should push into dangerous areas more. The big clubs like hawthorn and sydney have shown this year they are happy for him to get 40 kicks as long as they are not in the forward 1/3rd of the ground.

For me Ablett should play 50/50 midfield/forward.

Mar 18, 2011
Everett
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
New England Patriots
Anyone who thinks Gary cares more about brownlows or supercoach points is simply looking too hard for a way to bring him down, as it's just not true.

Gary will play exactly where he's told by the Coach, with some of his own input. Where that is depends on where the team needs him the most.

Why you'd take the best midfielder in the competition out of the midfield is a bit beyond me. He will go forward eventually, but not yet.

stuyd1

Premiership Player
Jul 9, 2011
gold coast
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Anyone who thinks Gary cares more about brownlows or supercoach points is simply looking too hard for a way to bring him down, as it's just not true.

Gary will play exactly where he's told by the Coach, with some of his own input. Where that is depends on where the team needs him the most.

Why you'd take the best midfielder in the competition out of the midfield is a bit beyond me. He will go forward eventually, but not yet.

agree,,, geez ,he is the best player in the comp by far.... has to be involved in our midfield. will be a forward line player in 2 seasons .

Oct 24, 2008
Mermaid Beach
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
GWS, Celtics, 76ers
And we ain't talking about Carlton

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk
Watched my first Origin (start to finish) last night, if that is the pinnacle of Rugby League then AFL's place as the No1 sport in this country is very safe

#Irubyourfaceyourubmine

Oct 24, 2008
Mermaid Beach
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
GWS, Celtics, 76ers
On AFL 360 last night Robbo espoused in his usual ill informed manner that Aaron Hall is a gun and the Suns are robbing him of consistency by "constantly" moving him in and out of the side.

I hate how ill informed this clown is, Hall has been poor for months now and Bluey has kept him in the side longer than his form warranted, mainly due to the winning streak we were on at the time, Aaron is overdue for a lengthy run in the reserves.

GcSunsfan

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 17, 2013
AFL Club
Gold Coast
On AFL 360 last night Robbo espoused in his usual ill informed manner that Aaron Hall is a gun and the Suns are robbing him of consistency by "constantly" moving him in and out of the side.

I hate how ill informed this clown is, Hall has been poor for months now and Bluey has kept him in the side longer than his form warranted, mainly due to the winning streak we were on at the time, Aaron is overdue for a lengthy run in the reserves.
I watch afl360 live last night and just rewatch this bit again and Robbo never said the Suns were robbing him of consistency by "constantly" moving him in and out of the side.
Robbo said hall had all the attributes to be a star but lacked something mentally, said he just can't lift to that next level, robbo agreed with us he doesn't contribute enough to the team atm

Sep 30, 2010
Katherine, NT
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Oct 24, 2008
Mermaid Beach
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
GWS, Celtics, 76ers

Corkie

Premiership Player
Aug 6, 2013
Gold Coast
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Gold Coast United
That article is brilliant. Not every loves Sheedy, but no one can deny his passion for development and his devotion to the game. Eddie just wears too many hats now at both club and media level, not good for the game.

Back