Opinion Vent & Offtopic

Remove this Banner Ad

Oct 24, 2008
Mermaid Beach
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
GWS, Celtics, 76ers
Has anyone else noticed that the Labor party has not put forward ANY new ideas in this campaign.

All of their media is about Newman and "showing him a lesson", where is the plan for the state, where is the detailed policies, inset tumble weeds, they have nothing, zip, zero

They are pretending to be the Jedi while the incumbent is portrayed as the Empire. Closer to the truth would be "Dumb and Dumber" as Labor ran this state into the ground and paid the price at the last election.
One of the ads says "send Newman a message that you see right through him", well I am looking and its not him that I can see straight through.

holybishop

Premiership Player
Oct 9, 2006
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
GC Suns, Western Warriors/Scorchers
No opposition puts forward any real plans now after the last opposition leader to do so, John Hewson, lost the unloseable election on Fightback and the GST. It's disappointing that this is the current state of politics in Australia but the blueprint is to highlight mistakes against the government while giving the government and media nothing to use against themselves.

Oct 24, 2008
Mermaid Beach
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
GWS, Celtics, 76ers
No plan is still better than Newman's "plan".

I assume your being facetious Experimental but sadly this kind of thinking is what the Labor party is counting on. Putting in a party that bankrupted the state and has no vision or policy's back into power is just nonsensical.

Last edited:
Oct 24, 2008
Mermaid Beach
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
GWS, Celtics, 76ers
No opposition puts forward any real plans now after the last opposition leader to do so, John Hewson, lost the unloseable election on Fightback and the GST. It's disappointing that this is the current state of politics in Australia but the blueprint is to highlight mistakes against the government while giving the government and media nothing to use against themselves.

when are WE the people going to ask more of our leaders, as this is a sad indictment on us as we allow both parties to use negative politics and deliver little once in office. They wont change until we make them.

Experimental

Norm Smith Medallist
May 20, 2012
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Green Bay Packers
I assume your being facetious Experimental but sadly this kind of thinking is what the Labor party is counting on. Putting in a party that bankrupted the state and has no vision or policy's back into power is just nonsensical.
Unfortunately, I'm not. Newman is menace and is destroying everything that makes Queensland great.

In saying that, I'm not ignoring what any previous government has done (and I don't like or intend to vote for either major party), but comparing the Beattie/Bligh government with the current Queensland opposition is just like comparing the Howard era Libs with Tony Abbott's bastardisation - very different.

While the ideals generally remain the same, leaders make a huge difference, and while I personally dislike Annastacia Palaszczuk (the accidental leader, as the media likes to point out), I ******* despise Newman for everything he's done. Incumbents blaming the previous government for anything is just pathetic (and is apparently an LNP policy - continuous blame shifting), and I similarly despise the Beattie/Bligh governments for selling off Queensland's assets in a pathetic attempt at recouping money that they blew to begin with.

Selling assets in general is bloody ridiculous to begin with, and Newman, despite his lie spinning and shifting of words, is attempting the same thing. Would you sell your business, car, mobile phone, all your stocks and shares, and all your garden tools just to pay off your mortgage that little bit quicker? No - it's a ******* stupid idea.

Truth be told, there's not a real option for Queensland come January 31. Both parties are as bad as each other, BUT given the circumstances, I'd much rather have the ALP in power, or at least with an increased number of seats.

Furthermore, it's really in everyone's best interest (given Queensland has no upper house) to vote for a minor party and hope to * that there are plenty of Greens/Katter/Palmer/One Nation/Independant/Whoeverthe* members in parliament in the next term to keep the corrupt two party system parties in line. Having no upper house does NOT work in a state where everyone votes for one of two options. I completely agree with you regarding asking more of our leaders, because currently it's pretty pathetic.

Oct 24, 2008
Mermaid Beach
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
GWS, Celtics, 76ers
Unfortunately, I'm not. Newman is menace and is destroying everything that makes Queensland great.

In saying that, I'm not ignoring what any previous government has done (and I don't like or intend to vote for either major party), but comparing the Beattie/Bligh government with the current Queensland opposition is just like comparing the Howard era Libs with Tony Abbott's bastardisation - very different.

While the ideals generally remain the same, leaders make a huge difference, and while I personally dislike Annastacia Palaszczuk (the accidental leader, as the media likes to point out), I ******* despise Newman for everything he's done. Incumbents blaming the previous government for anything is just pathetic (and is apparently an LNP policy - continuous blame shifting), and I similarly despise the Beattie/Bligh governments for selling off Queensland's assets in a pathetic attempt at recouping money that they blew to begin with.

Selling assets in general is bloody ridiculous to begin with, and Newman, despite his lie spinning and shifting of words, is attempting the same thing. Would you sell your business, car, mobile phone, all your stocks and shares, and all your garden tools just to pay off your mortgage that little bit quicker? No - it's a ******* stupid idea.

Truth be told, there's not a real option for Queensland come January 31. Both parties are as bad as each other, BUT given the circumstances, I'd much rather have the ALP in power, or at least with an increased number of seats.

Furthermore, it's really in everyone's best interest (given Queensland has no upper house) to vote for a minor party and hope to **** that there are plenty of Greens/Katter/Palmer/One Nation/Independant/Whoeverthe**** members in parliament in the next term to keep the corrupt two party system parties in line. Having no upper house does NOT work in a state where everyone votes for one of two options. I completely agree with you regarding asking more of our leaders, because currently it's pretty pathetic.

Sounds like your as frustrated as I am, this state and it's people deserve better than these bunch of peanuts.

Jun 14, 2014
AFL Club
Gold Coast
My plan: avoid the major parties like the plague. Vote for a fringe party, no matter how much the major parties 'tell you off' for it - it's not like they're unbiased or anything. :rolleyes:

In any case, Newman is a peanut. His policies caused my sister to lose her job as a nurse. I would rather vote for a guy who builds dinosaur parks than him.

gotassieboys

All Australian
Jul 13, 2011
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Just saw the new Aussie Post stamps acknowledging our "VC" heroes.

We talk about courage in AFL, but it does not compare on any level to what these men have achieved.

I think GCS should recruit Ben Roberts-Smith and let him loose! This man is huge and most importantly a true legend.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Nov 17, 2009
Gold Coast
AFL Club
Gold Coast

Furthermore, it's really in everyone's best interest (given Queensland has no upper house) to vote for a minor party and hope to **** that there are plenty of Greens/Katter/Palmer/One Nation/Independant/Whoeverthe**** members in parliament in the next term to keep the corrupt two party system parties in line. Having no upper house does NOT work in a state where everyone votes for one of two options. I completely agree with you regarding asking more of our leaders, because currently it's pretty pathetic.

If you intend to vote for Palaszczuk and her band of career politicians who've never done a day's work in their lives you'll get what you deserve

FavoriteSun

All Australian
Feb 8, 2012
Boston, USA
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Just found out I will be travelling to Seattle for work the week of the superbowl. As a Boston resident I am a bit disappointed by this! Unless we win.

Sep 30, 2010
Katherine, NT
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Tampa Bay Buccaneers, TB Lightning,
Happy Straya day cobber!

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1422234958667.jpeg
    uploadfromtaptalk1422234958667.jpeg
    74.7 KB · Views: 7
Jun 30, 2013
Brisbane
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Oz Bball, Equest, Net, Tenn, Voll

ok, da*n.. I am not! a political creature but there is something about Qld that breeds corruption :eek:

Libs may work fine for the upper class, never have, never will 4 the average Joe.

Am I about to b banned 4 my views..?

Oct 24, 2008
Mermaid Beach
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
GWS, Celtics, 76ers
ok, da*n.. I am not! a political creature but there is something about Qld that breeds corruption :eek:

Libs may work fine for the upper class, never have, never will 4 the average Joe.

Am I about to b banned 4 my views..?
People are rarely banned on our board, everyone's opiniion is welcome, help me understand how Labor "better" for the Average man?

Is it by being a union crony, as you have to be a union organiser / lawyer / member to ascend in the Labor party, I would suggest that looking after 20% of the population isn't looking after the average man.

Is it by consistently spending more than you bring in and leaving the states and Country bankrupted

Everyone is entitled to an opinion and I know mine won't sway yours but thinking that the labor party is more caring of the average man is in my opinion naïve they create debt, waste savings and in turn burden the "average man" with wasted interest payments that could and should be used to build hospitals / roads / public transport etc, correct me if I'm wrong but 100% of the population use those.

The latest idea from the opposition leader is to not lease assests and instead use the profits from them to build new roads etc, I find this particularly interesting as there would be no profits in the first place if the LNP didn't fix up issues like the overpaying of health worker through the Labor pay system debacle and the employment of 20000 too many public servants. My point is labor gets back in and employee un-needed public servants and make the system un-profitable again and then how do they pay for the services again. Simple answer they can't, they are counting on nobody actually thinking that far ahead.

Last edited:
Feb 27, 2005
Port Augusta
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
QPR
Happy not to live in QLD . This election would pain me to make a choice, there would be no way in hell I could vote for the Newman government, but QLD labor doesnt appear to be the answer in many ways, as a rule I vote labor , or at least keep them high in preferences, but you guys have it tough, one side wants to put you in a hell of a lot of debt, one side wants to sell everything off and not start any big projects, meaning less jobs, less state assets but less debt.
Both have pros and cons but there needs to be some form of balance between those two, ie some major projects (perfect time to do the Carrara precinct) and slowly head towards debt reduction. Just hope whoever wins makes the right moves for the state.

PREETY_FLY

Club Legend
Oct 19, 2012
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Suns
Newman - sacks s**t load of doctors/nurses...

Makes waiting lists to get on the waiting lists but won't admit there's a waiting list to get on a waiting list..

Makes election promise to hire more nurses and doctors.

Also claims that the ALP campaign is funded by outlaw motorcycle gangs

Oct 24, 2008
Mermaid Beach
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
GWS, Celtics, 76ers
Newman - sacks s**t load of doctors/nurses...

Makes waiting lists to get on the waiting lists but won't admit there's a waiting list to get on a waiting list..

Makes election promise to hire more nurses and doctors.

Also claims that the ALP campaign is funded by outlaw motorcycle gangs

Where are these waiting lists (serious question) as I am a bit confused as to whether the system is better or worse, I am not close enough to this issue to provide any facts one way or another. Do you have some so I can make an informed decision?

As for your 4th point If you are referring to the propaganda (that BOTH sides are flinging at the public) the ad actually says the Bikies support the ALP and it's soft approach to crime not fund it. There is a massive difference between support and funding Ryano316 and the ALP has already said they will repeal the new laws so you can understand why the Bikies support them.

Matchu

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 12, 2007
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Where are these waiting lists (serious question) as I am a bit confused as to whether the system is better or worse, I am not close enough to this issue to provide any facts one way or another. Do you have some so I can make an informed decision?

As for your 4th point If you are referring to the propaganda (that BOTH sides are flinging at the public) the ad actually says the Bikies support the ALP and it's soft approach to crime not fund it. There is a massive difference between support and funding Ryano316 and the ALP has already said they will repeal the new laws so you can understand why the Bikies support them.
I'm going to make a politics thread in the In the Shade section of the Gold Coast sub-forum and I will tag everyone from this thread that has talked politics. There will be rules in place to promote healthy debates and discourage personal attacks on political beliefs. I will also provide a little breakdown of each seat on the Gold Coast and what we can expect from historical evidence. I might even mention the bookies odds for each Gold Coast seat ;)

Anyway, hopefully the new thread serves its purpose in a constructive way.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back