Opinion Vent & Offtopic

Remove this Banner Ad

Hey guys, I've really been getting into the draft lately and just wanted to make sure I understand it correctly so any help would be greatly appreciated.

I see there are 7 rounds to the draft. When Saad and Brooksby were elevated that cost two draft picks correct? To elevate a rookie will cost a draft pick?

Do you pass when your list is full?

My thinking is Brooksby and Saad was elevated so that's round 6 and 7 but we only drafted 4 players. What happened to the other pick? Was our list full?

Just making sure I understand this properly. Thanks guys.
I think you may have the wrong idea of how this works.
Clubs have x number of spare places on their list. Each club must have a minimum of 3, but could have 20 or 30 if they get rid of that many players from the previous year's squad. Let's say a club needs to fill 10 spots on their list. That club would start with 1 notional pick in each of the first 10 rounds of the draft. Clubs can then trade their draft picks for players at other clubs, they can upgrade some rookies, they can trade some of their draft picks for another club's draft picks. It could end up that by the time the draft night comes around, they have more than 1 pick in some rounds of the draft & they don't have any in some other rounds.
The draft is not set at 7 rounds. If 7 rounds have been completed & some clubs still have positions to fill, there will be more rounds until all lists are full. You are right though that once your list is full, you will pass in the future rounds.

Thanks guys.... I'm so ready for the season to start. Footy is quickly becoming my favorite sport I just need games to watch.
I'm curious, how do you think the AFL compares to the major American sports leagues? I personally think the NBA is the best run competition in the world and I can slowly see the AFL heading that way with recent changes to the rules such as free agency. What are your thoughts?

If we're talking in American sports terminology, the Gold Coast Suns are most definitely a small market team. Similar to Miami in the sense that the city offers a great lifestyle but is relatively small population wise. Surprisingly, allegiances are split between two sports on the GC. It's almost a 50/50 split when it comes to the city preferring Aussie rules or rugby league. I think the Gold Coast is the only city in Australia that is like that. It's why no other sport has been able to survive. Pro teams in baseball, basketball, rugby union and soccer have all come and gone. It's gained the reputation of being a fickle sporting market as a result and some observers refer to it as a graveyard.

Anyway, that's a little snapshot of how things work on the GC.

So received my 3 game membership yesterday ( down graded as I have moved to Sydney) and it was pretty crap when compared to the Giants equivalent. Giants had all the Suns stuff PLUS a pen, pencil case and a cap.

AFL favouring baby brother?
Nah, it's just the fact that the Suns' membership department ******* sucks. When I called last year to downgrade my membership to GA, I explained how poor the actual membership pack was and how disappointed I was with the Crazy Clark's quality rubbish included in the membership pack. No *s given.

And unless I'm mistaken, it's nearing February and there's still no membership polo/cap combo available yet? Last year, along with my actual membership, I had my membership cap and polo before Christmas.

Nah, it's just the fact that the Suns' membership department ******* sucks. When I called last year to downgrade my membership to GA, I explained how poor the actual membership pack was and how disappointed I was with the Crazy Clark's quality rubbish included in the membership pack. No *caress*s given.

And unless I'm mistaken, it's nearing February and there's still no membership polo/cap combo available yet? Last year, along with my actual membership, I had my membership cap and polo before Christmas.

Why the * do they still include a lanyard in memberships packs. Every membership pack I've ever had from the Bears/Lions/Suns has a lanyard but how many people do you ever see at a game wearing one? A handful maybe. Waste of plastic.

I'm curious, how do you think the AFL compares to the major American sports leagues? I personally think the NBA is the best run competition in the world and I can slowly see the AFL heading that way with recent changes to the rules such as free agency. What are your thoughts?

If we're talking in American sports terminology, the Gold Coast Suns are most definitely a small market team. Similar to Miami in the sense that the city offers a great lifestyle but is relatively small population wise. Surprisingly, allegiances are split between two sports on the GC. It's almost a 50/50 split when it comes to the city preferring Aussie rules or rugby league. I think the Gold Coast is the only city in Australia that is like that. It's why no other sport has been able to survive. Pro teams in baseball, basketball, rugby union and soccer have all come and gone. It's gained the reputation of being a fickle sporting market as a result and some observers refer to it as a graveyard.

Miami are one of the bigger clubs. I understand the lifestyle and that but I would compare us more to a Minnesota/Milwaukee team where the bigger teams use the smaller teams as harvester of young talent.

Miami are one of the bigger clubs. I understand the lifestyle and that but I would compare us more to a Minnesota/Milwaukee team where the bigger teams use the smaller teams as harvester of young talent.
I don't think that's necessarily true. The Australian sporting landscape is so different to that of the American version. LeBron James is one of the only major sports stars in the US that actually got homesick and decided to go home. Conversely, it seems to happen every season in the AFL. Then you add the fact that QLD and NSW don't produce as many players as other states and it turns into a bigger issue than just purely wanting to play for a big market team, which is often the case in America.

Is Geelong a big market team? No, they are the smallest in the league. Does Geelong offer an incredible lifestyle? No. Neither of these factors stopped Patrick Dangerfield (the biggest fish available this off season) from wanting to 'go home'. Could he have made more money elsewhere? The reports were that the Demons were willing to double Geelong's offer. It's just so different to American sports where you can literally be traded at just about any point in the season.

Having said all of that, I think one of the reasons Gary Ablett Jr decided to stay on the Gold Coast has to do with the anonymity it offers. He doesn't get hassled on a daily basis and he's obviously being paid very well. Could you imagine LeBron James or Tom Brady walking around the streets of American city they play for and not being hassled? It wouldn't happen because that hypothetical American city doesn't exist.

But to actually respond to your post, the two parallels I was drawing between the Gold Coast and Miami are the the market size and the lifestyle. Player retention is also very different in Australia than it is in the US so I'm not going to comment on that.

I'm obviously going to have a different view of the AFL as most because of how new i am to it. I thought it was ludicrous that the Swans got Heeney for a late 1st when he obviously was a top 10 talent. But it seems the AFL saw the problem and fixed it which I love. I was amazed to hear how me free agency was. I like the way footy is different, yet there are still some minor things I would change. But that is true for all sports. I follow the MLB, NHL, NFL, NBA as well as college sports. There are things in each I think are great and each have things I loathe.

The NBA specifically I think each team should have their own DLeague team. High schoolers should be allowed to enter the draft but spend a year in DLeague before playing in NBA. I don't like the NBA lottery. I would like them to use the NHL lottery system. I'm a Bulls fan and I can honestly say we had no business winning the lottery and drafting Derrick Rose.

Hi.
Um, I'm new to this.. And um I see they have done some maintenance.
On my mobile I can't tell if anyone has posted anything in the home screen without actually opening up threads.

It's frikkin bullshit

Also can't seem to tag people in exile ?
SUNS ?

Anyone else having the same problem? Can you change settings or anything?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hi.
On my mobile I can't tell if anyone has posted anything in the home screen without actually opening up threads.

It's frikkin bullshit

SUNS ?

It's a deliberate ploy to help pay off the Chief's new lambo a bit faster...

Hi.

It's frikkin bullshit

SUNS ?

not sure what you mean. can you upload a screenshot of what you mean?

Surely if Ah Chee takes a "hanger" or kicks a freak goal someone will make a crowd favourite saying that encapsulates his surname.

I like the look of this lad. My bolter for the year!!

Well done to GWS on taking a stand , easy thing to do is trade out a player with 2 years to go on his contract and become a feeder club to the bigger clubs , instead they stuck to there guns , there will be short term pain but better for it in the long run.

The guy has apparently been going through some pretty severe depression for a while now. They should have done the right thing by him and his medical condition and allowed him to return home, and I'm not saying that because Freo would have been the obvious benefactors.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back