Vent thread... boy do we need it... again. :(

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wouldn't mind seeing Sauce Merrett line up alongside May in the return clash later in the year.

I know it's over a decade ago, but if someone managed to knock Vossy out during the 'era', they would have had a target on their head all game.
My point exactly. And its not about getting one back. Its about standing up for yourself and team.

Let's be honest here. Greeny looks horribly out of shape and how leppa is letting him play in that shape, i'll never know.

To talk about Green being overweight is fine, but to call him Fatso-Green is disgusting.

Lift your game Hysteria25, show a bit of class and respect.

You are not on Facebook.

Correct. There's plenty of ways to discuss a topic without resorting to name calling. Some maturity would be nice.

jeez hasn't this board degenerated! All physiques are different, and it is not physically possible due to genetics for some players to have the type of ridiculously ripped body that some on here seem to demand. Different people carry weight in different ways, and size does not always equate to strength nor does a lack of a 6 pack mean a person is over weight. Muscle density and load distribution are far more important.

Ultimately we are all sick of losing and are looking for answers, but some on here are choosing to nit-pick on the most pathetic of things like a player having subway before a game FFS. None of us complain about players drinking Gatorade, but that contains sugars which the body simply doesn't need (the body can create it's own healthy immediately released energy from normal foods and drinks i.e. Bananas and water - so why the big whoop over a subway when player regularly have Gatorade and lollies?

I agree Josh looks unfit, but Subway? We're gonna hang him for that?
As mentioned, it easily have been a salad sandwich FFS.
And as for kilojoules, correct me if I'm wrong, but don't you need heaps of energy input to get energy output?
Fair dinkum.

He may be pigging out on wrong foods, who knows, but that photo is just an invasion of privacy, not a smoking gun.:confused::rolleyes:

I agree that the names he is being called is a bit distasteful. However, I too was pissed when I saw that quip about eating junk food when everyone in the back ground burst into laughter. Green is simply not fit enough to play AFL football ATM. It annoys me that a player, that we all put our faith into, could be universally known around the club as someone who loves junk food, for most AFL players it is basically a no go all year, maybe a bit of pizza or a burger after a game. I also screwed my face up when I saw the image of him rushing into grab some Subway before a game, I wouldn't eat Subway before a D-grade basketball game, IMO that is a terrible choice of match day sustenance.

It all just reeks of below AFL Standard culture and it would make sense to me, because I worry that the 'softly softly' approach that Leppa has been forced to take, in order to get players comfortable and happy, in the wake of Voss's so called 'Drill Sargent' style. has culminated in a bunch of Gen-me kids taking advantage and basically not really putting much in - Green is the case in point here and he left himself open to the frustration of supporters TBH (name calling aside).

Remember reading an article when Judd went to Carlton and Carazzo was about to order some fries with his main meal and Judd more or less said no he wasn't or gave him a look. For some reason it stuck with me, maybe because I like fries. But they're supposed to be elite sportsmen with elite standards in all facets of life.

Now look, this has me more upset about the weekend then anything else. I am an optimist and am still looking forward to this weekend even after what we served up. But the thing that really shitteed me off was when rockliff got bumped (seemingly fair of course). Not one lions player went to reminstrate and stand up for their captain and team mate. Mods this is a vent but i didnt feel it needed to go in the vent thread as such.

If that was not only my captain but good friend i know id be in there not to throw punches but to show people we arent here to be pushed around. Which is exactly what happened the rest of the day.

Grow some ******* balls. Protect your team mates and stand up for yourselves and the clubs members. (Yes mitch robinson this is aimed at you mainly cause you where closest to what happened and could of made a stand.)

Up the lions.
Feel free to close thread or move i just needed to get my point accross
I fully get what you're saying, but the game didn't stop at that incident, which is when most players would go over and have a jumper pulling contest. And because it didn't stop and we instantly lost one of I think two Lions players in the forward 50 at that point in time, the ball was cleared and ended up down the other end within a minute after the fact. Had any of us remonstrated it would've taken us away from *cough* defending, and to be honest we probably would've wound up giving away a free kick with the way the rulings were going too.

Remember reading an article when Judd went to Carlton and Carazzo was about to order some fries with his main meal and Judd more or less said no he wasn't or gave him a look. For some reason it stuck with me, maybe because I like fries. But they're supposed to be elite sportsmen with elite standards in all facets of life.

I remember after 2009 Grand final, Ablett tucking into some bacon and Eggs with the lot and a huge smile on his face at the muck up day function, they asked him as he was tucking in if he was going to let his hair down and do lots of drinking, and he said it was more about food for him because he hadn't had any junk food, not even Bacon and Eggs for 6 months! Bacon and Eggs isn't even bad! I just cant imagine Sam Mitchell or a Freo player joking about how much junk food they love to eat.

I also recall on an episode of the club, one of the collingwood fitness staff saying "We might order some pizza or some burgers after a game to get some quick energy into the players, but after that junk food of any sort during the season is a no go under any circumstances". I might be wrong, but it was my understanding that junk food was a no go for elite sports people - during the season.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's not just Josh. Looking at the previous image it's Also our core midfield group on Rocky and Rixh that both have high skinfolds. I know it was preseason but FFS they are leaders.

Yet more rubbish about players skinfolds. Please see an extract below for a little heads up:

There are many limitations with the Skin Fold measurement technique. The validity of skin fold measurements is at best ±6% compared to the hydrostatic tank. Because of the inaccuracy associated with skin fold calipers, many credible organizations such as the U.S. Army and the Los Angeles Police Department have abandoned the use of them.

The error of estimate between technicians has been reported to be ±8%

The assumption that 50% of human body fat is located in subcutaneal tissues and the remaining 50% is found in intra-muscular and essential fat (around organs) is not universally valid. Body fat distribution and health risk varies depending on genetics, exercise and nutritional patterns

Skinfolds are not, never have been and never will be a defining factor in whether a player is fit or unfit. They are simply used for basic tracking purposes. Some players could be super-fit and still have relatively high skin folds by professional athlete standards. Also, if a person has carried a little extra weight as a youngster (something Rocky and Rich have both admitted to) then it actually becomes near impossible to have very low skin folds. This is as a result of being able to empty fat cells through exercise, but not make the actual fat cell itself disappear. As a result, the empty fat cells still contribute to an increased skinfold measurement, even though they are actually empty.

Look at Majak Daw. He has the most cut figure, but he still can't crack a game for North.

It's not all about the body you idiots, it's about how you play footy. Who cares about skinfolds if you can play footy like Rocky and Rich? Some of you need to get a grip.

#footballersfirstnotathletes

Look at Majak Daw. He has the most cut figure, but he still can't crack a game for North.

It's not all about the body you idiots, it's about how you play footy. Who cares about skinfolds if you can play footy like Rocky and Rich? Some of you need to get a grip.

I don't know much about and don't care much about skin folds. As an extension of other issues such as attitude, effort and concerns over fitness, we are discussing Josh Green, who many think already looks over weight, is playing s**t house and just happened to be the centre of an in house joke about his consumption of junk food. I can understand people being a bit shitty about that.

I fully get what you're saying, but the game didn't stop at that incident, which is when most players would go over and have a jumper pulling contest. And because it didn't stop and we instantly lost one of I think two Lions players in the forward 50 at that point in time, the ball was cleared and ended up down the other end within a minute after the fact. Had any of us remonstrated it would've taken us away from *cough* defending, and to be honest we probably would've wound up giving away a free kick with the way the rulings were going too.
I agree with the not being able to defend part but in my opinion this was one contest that i feel went along way to us losing. The remonstrating would of been more a mental win then anything else .

Yet more rubbish about players skinfolds. Please see an extract below for a little heads up:

There are many limitations with the Skin Fold measurement technique. The validity of skin fold measurements is at best ±6% compared to the hydrostatic tank. Because of the inaccuracy associated with skin fold calipers, many credible organizations such as the U.S. Army and the Los Angeles Police Department have abandoned the use of them.

The assumption that 50% of human body fat is located in subcutaneal tissues and the remaining 50% is found in intra-muscular and essential fat (around organs) is not universally valid. Body fat distribution and health risk varies depending on genetics, exercise and nutritional patterns

Skinfolds are not, never have been and never will be a defining factor in whether a player is fit or unfit. They are simply used for basic tracking purposes. Some players could be super-fit and still have relatively high skin folds by professional athlete standards. Also, if a person has carried a little extra weight as a youngster (something Rocky and Rich have both admitted to) then it actually becomes near impossible to have very low skin folds. This is as a result of being able to empty fat cells through exercise, but not make the actual fat cell itself disappear. As a result, the empty fat cells still contribute to an increased skinfold measurement, even though they are actually empty.
Only have to look at Dane Swan. Saw him a few years ago (when he was at his best), with his shirt off, the word that sprung to mind was "slob".
Having said that, as you mention, skinfolds can be used for tracking. That's to say, if a person suddenly stacks a heap of fat on, that's not good, as opposed to people just built that way. I think Greeny has stacked a fair bit on over summer, but there are other indicators that he has lost some fitness.

Yeah agreed, probably wouldn't have done much to affect the Suns movement of the ball but at least it might have get some fire going in our guts.
I thought it would. When i first saw it i was worried for rockliff but thought where the * are his mates. i felt like going out there and belting may one and i dont know rockliff at all. but he is the captain of this football club and not one stood up for him. as you can tell it still annoys me.

Well obviously the club has a use for them... Why else would they be having an ideal skin folds measurement for the players to reach? If our senior players in Rich and Rocky are way above the clubs ideal measurement for skinfolds then they aren't doing enough work and are setting a bad example for the young blokes.

Funny as everyone on here know they are both very poor fitness wise... But it's alright we supporters are fine with the footy they are playing now ... :rolleyes: Imagine if those blokes worked harder they would both go up another level especially Rich who hasn't produced well enough consistently.

On that note, Josh Green is considerably bigger than last season, and is also in significantly worse form. I think we have a right to criticise him. I don't get all the people bashing him for eating Subway though... If you're smart about what you order, Subway can actually be really healthy. Let's hope he ordered a 6 inch roast chicken sub on wheat bread and not a foot long chicken back ranch + 3 cookies...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back