Verbal Faux Pas, Jargon, Cliches, Boganisms, etc

Remove this Banner Ad

HA! ^
I can't believe such a well-drilled ABC guy like Drew says "centurion"!

And how about McDonald saying "inningses"?! But I suppose he's hardly alone there

Both of those are correct, are they not? "Centurion" is an adaptation of term for a Roman commander of a "century", basically the Roman version of a company. It's easy to see how it's come to mean the scorer of a century.

As for inningses, an "innings" is singular, so it follows that "inningses" is plural. Now, some people say "inningses", others just say "innings" for the plural, but there isn't really any established convention as "innings" is a weird word. I personally prefer "innings" for both singular and plural, but wouldn't call "inningses" a faux pas.

Inningses sounds stupid. I'd feel stupid saying it and I'd laugh and point at anyone who said it around me. It'd be like saying Bunningses to describe more than one Bunnings.

Quite correct. English doesn't always follow the "rules". Innings is both singular and plural.

You're welcome.

Yep, English is an evolving organism, so it can change, but I reckon "inningses" sounds as stupid as: "he's been to 2 Olympic Gameses" :)

Anyway, speaking of cricket, Steven Smith said: "we set the standard in Brisbane with our aggresitivity"

That'll probably be a bloody word in ten years, along with 'everythink' and 'agreeance' :D

Yep, English is an evolving organism, so it can change, but I reckon "inningses" sounds as stupid as: "he's been to 2 Olympic Gameses" :)

Anyway, speaking of cricket, Steven Smith said: "we set the standard in Brisbane with our aggresitivity"

That'll probably be a bloody word in ten years, along with 'everythink' and 'agreeance' :D
And "irregardless" and "vunnerable". :(

Inningses sounds stupid. I'd feel stupid saying it and I'd laugh and point at anyone who said it around me. It'd be like saying Bunningses to describe more than one Bunnings.

Hobbitses.

Can't remember who it was now, but there was a commentator on ABC Grandstand (I think when they were broadcasting AFL games from Brisbane) who had an annoying habit of pronouncing the word 'possession' with a hard emphasis on the initial 's'- really, phonetically, the word is 'pozeshen', but he would pronounce it as 'posseshen'. Got very grating after a while.

Can't for the life of me remember who it was.

Ha! Mark Robinson stuffed up "Bonnie Doon". He said something like: "maybe we, the AFL and Essendon should all to go up to Donnie Boon for peace talks.."

If Robbo says it's Donnie Boon, it's Donnie Boon.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Can't remember who it was now, but there was a commentator on ABC Grandstand (I think when they were broadcasting AFL games from Brisbane) who had an annoying habit of pronouncing the word 'possession' with a hard emphasis on the initial 's'- really, phonetically, the word is 'pozeshen', but he would pronounce it as 'posseshen'. Got very grating after a while.

Can't for the life of me remember who it was.

I remember that too...listening to Saturday night footy from the Gabba, always about how Simon Black has "24 POSS-eshens".

Reckon it might have been John Northey??

Caller on Finey's final siren on the 4th of May referring to head coaching jobs as "Head jobs".

That's gold.

BTW - I love how you omit the 2007 GF winner from your sig. I know you need to draw the line somewhere, but it would make more sense to go with the last five winners... (i.e. 2009 onwards) ;)

Ha! It says on wikipedia that he married name is Leanne Cockerill.

Tim Watson told the whole story about Sandy's slip-up on one of his last days on SEN. I can't remember all the details, but it went something like this:

Being at the Mount Gambier Cup, it was only televised to regional stations, therefore, ordinarily, it would never had been seen beyond the South-West of Vic and South-East SA. So, it was due to be lost. However, for some reason, one of the new bosses of Ch 7 was at the cup, and just happened to be walking passed the control booth when he heard the guys in there laughing. When it went in to see what was so funny, he said: "right, keep that; we'll show it at the Christmas party in Melbourne", and the rest is history.

Maybe Watson put some mayo on the yarn, I dunno :D

^ Ha. That's a ripper.

Damien Flemming: "temperment", "closterphobic".

Mark Waugh read out a tweet from Roger Rasheed (I think), which said something about Gael Monfils, but Waugh pronounced 'Monfils' phonetically: "Mon-Fills" :D

Can't remember who said it but when Guy Forget (French tennis player) was playing one of the commentators pronounced his name phonetically.

This is a common one, but Brett Phillips, commentating on the tennis for SEN, said: "I need to work on my pronounciations of some of these names."

Damien Fleming: "It's good to see the Sydney Thunder unveeling these young bowlers"

:p

Remove this Banner Ad

Back