Votes: 65 91.5%
  • Tie

Votes: 3 4.2%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Dec 14, 2008
AFL Club
Essendon
Off the back of the excellent afl.com versus series and the enjoyable past player threads on here ive decided to try and do a verses series of Essendon players.

Some will be inter-generational, some will be team mates, some will be not share positions but hopefully they all provoke thought. I know its difficult to compare and rate players from different eras but hopefully it creates some discussion. I dont have a great record for researching history, alot of my analysis comes from memories so feel free to correct me if wrong on some points.

So let the fights begin!

First on the card, smokin' Joe Misiti vs Jobe Watson

Tale of the tape;

Joe Misiti stands at 186 cm, and played at a weight of 89 kgs

Jobe Watson stands at an imposing 190 cm and plays at 94kgs

Early years;

Misiti was raised in the Essendon zone in East Keilor, he grew up supporting Essendon as a kid. He was spotted playing as a junior by recruiters but doubts were had about his ‘lazy’ training standards and weight management. Nevertheless he made it as far as the Essendon u19s team also winning its best and fairest. The zone system was abolished in favour of a draft system meaning all clubs had to cut their lists but we were able to keep 10 of these players. Misiti was the last player kept, having to convince Sheedy that his attitude was good enough, something Sheedy doubted. He debuted late in 1992, I recall this kid with funny hair running amock late in a game getting double figure handball numbers in the last quarter. He went on to win the reserves premiership paving the way for the juggernaut we now know as the Baby bombers of 93.

Watson grew up in the spotlight being the son of a former club champion; we can still remember a young Jobe running through the banner as a kid during his dads 300th game. Jobe went to school at Xavier then was recruited as a father son pick at number 40 in the 2002 draft. Due to his size Sheedy originally trained Watson as a forward but was changed to a midfielder due to his poor kicking for goal. Like Misiti, early days Jobe was criticised for his training standards and weight issues, so much so that Sheedy banished him from the side, later saying he was a whisker away from being cut. This style of tough love reportedly caused friction between the Watson family and Sheedy. It’s up for debate whether Sheedy used this tactic to turn Watson into a footballer or if he genuinely believed he would not make the grade.

Strengths and weaknesses;

Misiti at his best was a prolific midfielder, a genuine centre man. He was quite slow by AFL standards but he had a great football brain and an innate ability to pick the right handball in traffic. He was quite elusive, not in the sense of sidestepping opponents to break away from traffic, but more in the sense of finding space where there was none, to dispose of the ball either by hand or by foot. His kick lacked penetration but was generally accurate but his creative handball and positioning was his overwhelming strength.

Watsons strengths are his contested ball winning ability, decision making in traffic and creative handball. His positioning is also first class. As time has gone on he has worked on his kicking to become reliable but as a rule his main weaknesses like Misiti have always been a lack of pace and kicking ability. His tackling is (now) ferocious and uncompromising.

Career;

Misiti burst onto the scene in the season of 93 with the rest of the baby bombers collecting a bulk of possessions in the midfield and generally making the team tick along. He however suffered a premiership hangover, gained weight and let his standard slip over the following few years. It was not uncommon to see him at the Grand hotel smoking and having a good time. He was in and out of the side for a little while before having a ‘moment’ post 1995 season and becoming re dedicated to the game. He became a consistent member of the side through the late nineties coming top 5 in the best and fairest a few times. He was an integral part of the all-conquering sides of the late 90s, early 00s and if I might say, probably underrated and overshadowed by the teams superstars. He may have been club champion at any other club but the one he was playing in. He played 236 games averaging a tick under 22 possessions a game over his career kicking 98 goals. Misiti is a dual premiership player.

Watson has been a slow burn type of player who took a while to get his career going. Once a fairly one dimensional player who had a good handball in traffic he has worked desperately hard on his game to the point he has become elite in most facets. It has been said he sought out the advice of Greg Williams one pre-season, in my opinion he never looked back from this point. His handball went from creative to damaging, he began to choose correct options by foot, hold the ball in traffic until the right option presented itself rather the the first option and generally hurting the opposition with every single involvement in the game. He found the ability to rest forward and kick goals which is another string to his bow. But the crowning glory has been leadership, He has become the game’s best leader especially over a very difficult time for our club. Jobe has played 193 games and kicked 107 goals averaging a tick over 24 possessions a game, he is a 3 time club champion, two time all Australian and has won the league’s highest individual honour.

Verdict;

On paper this seems a simple victory to Watson but it’s not as easy as that. Both players originally played a similar style of game and I think both players were on a similar early trajectory, Misiti out performed Watson early but they both suffered from the same weight issues and poor training perception. It was at a fork in the road that Watson chose to work his absolute socks off to become the game’s best player while Misiti was possibly happy being one of the lads in a great team. Watson may well not have the most talent of any player but the work he has put in has made him a great.

Misiti wins the first two rounds before they trade punches until the 6th – at which point Watson take control of the fight and wins by knockout in the 8th.

Love to hear your thoughts, memories, opinions, clips of this battle and these two players in general.
If the verses series goes will the second fight on the card will be;

Sean Wellman vs Cale Hooker.

Last edited:
By the end of their careers, we'll look back and say Watson was better, but it took Watson a long time to become the player he is today. Misiti was always there as a player where his output almost from day 1 was very close to his output at game 200.

Therefore for continuity across their career I'd say Misiti, for the better player at the peak of their powers it's Watson.

Also does Watson have any unforgettable "He goes for home, HE GOES FOR HOME, AND WHAT A WAY TO GO!" commentary moments? Whilst that moment from the 93 GF means nothing for the overall comparison, it is what instantly comes to mind when I reflect on Misiti.

Misiti's work went unnoticed a lot of times. It felt like you never saw him but then, oh, he's had 38 possessions.

Misiti's work went unnoticed a lot of times. It felt like you never saw him but then, oh, he's had 38 possessions.

Watching the resultant brilliance of Hird, Mercuri, Long etc meant you often forgot how they got the ball in the first place. The answer was almost always "Misiti, that's how".

In todays football he'd be racking up 40s, but would he have the defensive run?

I think he'd be pretty torn as to whether he'd want to pursue a career today such is the dedication required. He always seemed to be someone who enjoyed his footy and enjoyed his life. We'll never know, and as such I'm more than happy to remember him for the player he was during the era he played.

By the end of their careers, we'll look back and say Watson was better, but it took Watson a long time to become the player he is today. Misiti was always there as a player where his output almost from day 1 was very close to his output at game 200.

Therefore for continuity across their career I'd say Misiti, for the better player at the peak of their powers it's Watson.

Also does Watson have any unforgettable "He goes for home, HE GOES FOR HOME, AND WHAT A WAY TO GO!" commentary moments? Whilst that moment from the 93 GF means nothing for the overall comparison, it is what instantly comes to mind when I reflect on Misiti.
This is one of my earliest memories of Misiti, apart from his 4 goals against North in 2000 QF.

feeling a lot of love in here for Joe! i reckon part of it is because his work went unnoticed but partly because he remained a dude til the end. Remembner the post 93 party when he was kicking back blowing rings from the cigar?

probably tough on the boy matching him with Jobe - no one wins that battle.

What I was thinking but explained more eloquently than I could try to.

Since Jobe got fit his continuity/consistency of performance far outshines Joe. Joe had some very sub-standard years mid-90s.

I loved Joe but Jobe beats him by some way. Jobe's ability to rise to the occasion as a leader and become an elite kick has him as the better player. He also single-handedly pulled this team along for a few years.

Where Joe has it over him is in finals performances which is worth a lot. But Jobe hasn't had many chances to light up the big stage.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Never seen a player look so life-like like Joe Misiti in AFL Live 2004.

SDPb56o.jpg

Watson's best>Misiti's best
Misit's ordinary games>Watson's ordinary games
Misiti in big games>Watson in big games

As has been pointed out, it took Jobe a fair while to come good. Smokin Joe for me.
Jobe would have been considered in the best 1/2 dozen players in the comp for a few years. Joe never reached anywhere near that universal regard.

Since Jobe got fit his continuity/consistency of performance far outshines Joe. Joe had some very sub-standard years mid-90s.

I loved Joe but Jobe beats him by some way. Jobe's ability to rise to the occasion as a leader and become an elite kick has him as the better player. He also single-handedly pulled this team along for a few years.

Where Joe has it over him is in finals performances which is worth a lot. But Jobe hasn't had many chances to light up the big stage.

I guess we're comparing 4 or 5 years before Jobe became a consistently good player to a couple of years where Joe took the foot off the pedal.

I stand by my comment of Joe having a more consistent career, but at their peaks Jobe wins hands down. If Jobe finishes his career in this type of form then by careers end, in my mind, I'll probably forgive him the slow start to his career and remember him as a more consistent player than Misiti too (similar to how I've forgiven Misiti's flat patch for this comparison). For me Jobe's not there yet though, and if his form starts to dip as he ages in the coming couple of seasons then Misiti will have had a more consistently good career (but this is talking in hypotheticals).

Misiti isn't even in the same suburb when it comes to comparisons on leadership. This is one of the reasons why I said in my initial post that Jobe will be remembered as the better player.

I wonder if the roles each player fits into in the respective teams will have an impact on peoples decisions.

Jobe has widely been regarded as our most important player and has often had to carry a team through dark times. If he was playing alongside Hird, Mercuri and the Johnsons, would he have been seen in the same light or would some of the gloss be taken off a bit?

For the record, I think Jobe, but not by as much as some.

Never seen a player look so life-like like Joe Misiti in AFL Live 2004.

SDPb56o.jpg
Big fat ginger Joe, classic

"And now down to Christie Malthouse with the Brownlow Votes. How did you vote Christie?"

"We-"

"Thanks Christie."

Hird v T Watson

I doubt I could post in this one. It'd be full of half sentences, "buts" with a few .... thrown in and would end up with tears running onto my keyboard before I press send accidentally.

Simon Madden aside, my 2 favourite EFC players of my time following the club and I'd be so torn trying to compare them beyond the obvious strengths of each.

Mitisi is so far out of his weight division it isn't funny.

Jobe is a champion and star of the competition. Misiti was a good player and honest cog in some very good teams.

Last edited:
Mitisi is so far out of his weight division it isn't funny.

Jobe is a champion and star of the competition. Misiti was a good player and honest cog in some very good teams.
I think that undersells Misiti. He was a bit more than an honest cog.

That said, I still put Jobe well ahead.

I think that undersells Misiti. He was a bit more than an honest cog.

That said, I still put Jobe well ahead.

He's was a cog in the sense that he was a role player and not consistent match winner like Jobe has been pretty much since he took over the captaincy (well over 100 games?).

Misiti and Stanton would be a close bout. In some ways they could not be more different (one is an endurance animal and the other ran as little as he could) but they're both midfield accumulators and good players of about the same standard.

The only player I've seen that I would currently compare with Jobe would be Hird.

Last edited:
Back