Portfolio VFA Jumpers (by West_Coast_Eagles)

Remove this Banner Ad

Re: VFA Jumpers

I've read your posts.

And what it seems to me is that you are basically saying what most SA and WA supporters seem to think. That those arsehole Victorians think they own football and have revised football history to marginalize other footy states and their contributions to the game.

You are also implying by your response above that you think i'm one of these arsehole Victorians.

I make no assumption of the sort (as to whether you are an a-hole or not!), I responded to your post in the same tone it was presented. If you have made up your mind, I'm not going to bother trying to change it as your conclusion was made in the absence of evidence - showing a defensive attitude to my posts.

But yes, the history of the game has been revised (redacted might be a more accurate term) to minimise the involvement of the rest of Australia. Shamefully so.

I make no assumption of the sort (as to whether you are an a-hole or not!), I responded to your post in the same tone it was presented. If you have made up your mind, I'm not going to bother trying to change it as your conclusion was made in the absence of evidence - showing a defensive attitude to my posts.

But yes, the history of the game has been revised (redacted might be a more accurate term) to minimise the involvement of the rest of Australia. Shamefully so.

i think we all have our different views on things.
imo the vfl at the time stuff the sanfl and wafl by poaching there guns in the 70-80s for high transfer prices. but by that stange sanfl and wafl crowds were dropping and the money was drying up.

but hey none of us are wrong..

Yes, but by who?

Why the inverted commas?

Because the way they are trashing the rest of Australia (including the VFA), points to a less than national approach. Apart form having teams from every state (notable and shameful exception is Tasmania) the moniker 'AFL' points to an organisation that behaves very similar to the old VFL, and one worries of the same results (with graver consequences now that the state leagues are dependent).

I agree with this and am beginning to change my view somewhat.

Rhetorically - what is an appropriate cutover from VFL to AFL?
1990 was when it happened in name...
1987 saw Brisbane and West Coast
1982 saw South Melbourne move and become Sydney
1979 was when the VFL first scheduled two games at the SCG to test the (modern) Sydney market: R10-NM-Haw, R15-Fitz-Rich.
1952 featured one SCG game - R8-Rich-Coll
1904 featured one game - R4-Ess-Melb
1903 featured two games - R4-Fitz-Coll, and a delayed R2-Geel-Carl.
1897 was the formation of the VFL and has been retroactively named AFL

Previously I've supported the 1897 date as the foundation of the current AFL, as it's when the current league was founded, thus the name applies retroactively. However to do so, I see it's incorrect as the AFL wasn't the boss league all the way back then.

Then there's the NFL of the 1970s, and the various night-series competitions, which give an even better guide:

1971 - Rothmans Channel 7 Cup
1976 - NFL Wills Cup
1978 - VFL Night series featured Tasmania as a 13th team
1979 to 1986 - Night series with VFL teams plus a variety of WAFL, SANFL, ACT, NSW, Queensland, Tasmania teams.

The 1970s era also marks when players from WA and SA were brought across to play in the VFL. 1977 also marked the start of State of Origin (as opposed to league vs league). Curiously, the Wills Cup was created by a rival network (Channel 10) so they had footy product to show, as Channel 7 owned the rights... no surprise that the VFL fought back.

Here's a comment from Full Points Footy about the Rothmans Cup:
Arranged as a testimonial to one of the greatest footballers of all time, Graham 'Polly' Farmer, the Rothmans Channel 7 Cup was held in Perth at the end of the 1971 football season, which was Farmer's last as a player. In retrospect the competition can be viewed as an important stage in the progression towards a national club competition, a process which can be discerned as having begun as early as the 1950s, and which initially at any rate had its proponents in each of the 4 main football states. Ultimately, of course, for a variety of reasons, most of them economic, the process was hi-jacked by the VFL, giving rise to the nominally national, but in essence overridingly Victorian-oriented, Australian Football League, as well as to a widely accepted 'history' of the game which purveys mythology in preference to truth.

I'm beginning to lean towards 1977 as the true start date of the AFL ahead of its interfering with the history and imbalancing of the game. State of Origin was the beginning, albeit in reverse: it was brought in as an admission that the VFL was no longer a purely Victorian comp.

As for Tasmania's current shunning... it is poor, nothing short. There are excuses but not solutions. If the NRL had thought like that, there would never have been a Melbourne Storm. I guess the AFL just doesn't want to risk losing a startup team, e.g. Adelaide Rams, Perth Reds, Gold Coast Seagulls, South Queensland Crushers, or various NBL teams.

Previously I've supported the 1897 date as the foundation of the current AFL, as it's when the current league was founded, thus the name applies retroactively. However to do so, I see it's incorrect as the AFL wasn't the boss league all the way back then.
"Boss league" or no "boss league", it's the same competition. It's conceivable that one day it once again will not be the premier league in the land.

The "soul" is definitely different - these days there is an R in front of the souls at AFL HQ - and for continuity, it's the same league. That's where it ends though. All I'm suggesting is that in 1977, the VFL ceased to be a Victorian league and for all intents and purposes reinvented itself as a national league.

Also, if you are going to highlight one sentence, please don't include the full post in your quoting - it's waste of space.

Because the way they are trashing the rest of Australia (including the VFA), points to a less than national approach. Apart form having teams from every state (notable and shameful exception is Tasmania) the moniker 'AFL' points to an organisation that behaves very similar to the old VFL, and one worries of the same results (with graver consequences now that the state leagues are dependent).

Then it's not the rest of Australia, it's anything that's not VFL/AFL.

They have revised a number of elements of history, and it's not just state related things, there are other elements they have tried to change. I'm not going into them here though, because the topic has already gone way off course, and because I don't want to start huge s**t fights.

Let's just say I only follow AFL because my team plays in it. If we left and joined another comp, I wouldn't watch AFL.

2012 VFA jumpers.
As they will appears on the VFL website and in publications
Bendigo.gif
Bendigo
Box-Hill-Home.gif
Box Hill Home
Box-Hill-Away.gif
Box Hill Away
Northern-Blue.gif
Northern Home
Northern-Red.gif
Northern Away

Not exactly sure of the Northern jumper, whether Blue is Home or Away.

Carlton jumpers are ugly, but I really like the Bendigo one :thumbsu:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That would just be to
Logical lol

Btw northern blues new jumper is shocking. Farewell bullant. Although u were not always on prestons jumper

got myself a bullants jersey today, i am pretty wrapt the purchase to be honest. while i see the need from the vfl to change from a club league to a development based comp its still a little sad to see the jerseys dissaper

Was told yesterday that werribee also had a different jumper.

A black jumper with a yellow "w" across the jumper

Also box hill have about 10-20 jumpers left for sale . Once they are gone thats the end of a era

Not sure with bullants also But grab them while you can

Was told yesterday that werribee also had a different jumper.

A black jumper with a yellow "w" across the jumper

:confused:

I thought this was common knowledge? Werribee had the W jumper up until 1994 if I'm not mistaken. Look up old pics of Josken "Jack" Aziz and you'll see it.

When i did the jumpers back to the early 70s i posted werribees current jumper. Silly me not thinking they wouldnt have been able to screen print a tiger on a jumper back then. The w does look good and is simple The vfl should have a heritage round

Good to see Box Hill with an effective clash (as much as I've cooled on that design, as well as the fact their designs have been taken over by their AFL affiliate). I hope Sandy and Bendigo have something just as effective; there's a lot of yellow stripes going on amongst those three.

Don't think Carlton will be happy with Bendigo stealing the C and F from their logo, since Northern have it on their jumper.

Edit: I edited this 6 times in a minute. Can't think straight.

Everyone has their brain fades and what may sound good when sounded out in your head reads something completely different.

Annoying, I know.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back