2nds VFL 2nd Qualifying Final - Port Melbourne v Geelong, North Port Oval, 2:10PM Sunday 2 September

Remove this Banner Ad

Should be a good game, we know we can match it with Port as we have done so before, but a lot of our players haven't played in a final before. It will be interesting to see how they respond to that intensity against an opponent that has a lot of mature bodies in the lineup.

On the plus side we will probably be fielding our strongest side for the year, and have a heck of a lot to play for, one step from a GF if we can win this. Should be a great game.

Should be a good game, we know we can match it with Port as we have done so before, but a lot of our players haven't played in a final before. It will be interesting to see how they respond to that intensity against an opponent that has a lot of mature bodies in the lineup.

On the plus side we will probably be fielding our strongest side for the year, and have a heck of a lot to play for, one step from a GF if we can win this. Should be a great game.

Dont forget there would be some contracts on the line.

I think that the best part is that we have a double chance, so we know that the Magoos will be playing at least until AFL Qualifying Final Week - meaning that any players we draw from will be match-sharp and in shape.

Dont forget there would be some contracts on the line.
I'm doubtful about that, to be honest. I think that if you're a senior AFL listed player and you're not cracking it for a shot in the Ones (Hogan, Byrnes, Wojak, Bathie), you're not going to be retained next year. Gillies will probably want to move on. I can't imagine that the other rookies would be dropped in a hurry and retirements will most likely mean that there will be enough list turnover to satisfy both club and league.

Tough game first up given the amount of finals experience the Port side has. Will be a good experience for any of our kids that are yet to play in any finals.

I'm doubtful about that, to be honest. I think that if you're a senior AFL listed player and you're not cracking it for a shot in the Ones (Hogan, Byrnes, Wojak, Bathie), you're not going to be retained next year. Gillies will probably want to move on. I can't imagine that the other rookies would be dropped in a hurry and retirements will most likely mean that there will be enough list turnover to satisfy both club and league.
Could see Burbury getting a real contract, that said.

Which begs an interesting question - what is our strongest side? Is it as many AFL listed players as possible? Or do we shuffle the likes of Blicavs to the side and put in some mature VFL guys?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Surely it's beyond doubt that Walker will be recruited For Realz at the draft table. I do see your point though.

Seems that way. Club has an interesting call on Stringer also...

From what I've seen (the odd VFL game), Burbs has improved a lot this season, will be the club be able to keep him on the Rookie List for a 3rd season?

Seems that way. Club has an interesting call on Stringer also...

From what I've seen (the odd VFL game), Burbs has improved a lot this season, will be the club be able to keep him on the Rookie List for a 3rd season?
I think they're allowed three years - Majak Daw is the proof of that.

From what I've heard (admittedly not so much seen), Burbury is younger and more talented than some of the promotions, but not yet a better player. You would imagine that should Corey retire - which I can see happening - there'd be room for another extractor down at the Cattery.

Where does everyone think the rookies sit?

Stringer (3rd year rookie) - Promote/Trade/Delist.
Walker (2nd year rookie) - Promote.
Burbury (2nd year rookie) - Retain/Delist.
Simpkin (2nd year rookie) - Promote/Retain/Delist.
Bathie (2nd year rookie, unregistered player) - Retain/Delist.
Eardley (1st year rookie) - Retain.
Sheringham (1st year rookie) - Retain.
Blicavs (1st year rookie, unregistered player) - Retain.

They are the potential scenarios and my inklings in bold for the debatable ones. Simpkin and Burbury are really knife edge ones. Simpkin is mature age, limited upside but has shown that he is capable of playing a role at AFL level. With the age profile of our list maybe another year on the rookie list if he wants it. Burbury switched from Rowing, has done ok at VFL level but has he done enough, do the club see anymore upside in him. Bathie I believe is outside the list like Blicavs and thus only costs us $$$ rather than salary cap or list space so maybe he holds on due to our lack of key defenders.

I think only Stringer and Walker have earned promotion. Not convinced Simpkin will be retained - was recruited on the back of being a Victorian state player and has never quite regained that form. What's his future ceiling? Same with Burbury. Club historically has been pretty ruthless with rookies.

Need as many Cats fans there as possible on Sunday would suggest there will be a lot of Port supporters given the game is at Teac Oval

They are the potential scenarios and my inklings in bold for the debatable ones. Simpkin and Burbury are really knife edge ones. Simpkin is mature age, limited upside but has shown that he is capable of playing a role at AFL level. With the age profile of our list maybe another year on the rookie list if he wants it. Burbury switched from Rowing, has done ok at VFL level but has he done enough, do the club see anymore upside in him. Bathie I believe is outside the list like Blicavs and thus only costs us $$$ rather than salary cap or list space so maybe he holds on due to our lack of key defenders.

think you are pretty much on the button SR...
Maybe Boak will be the end for one of them but I like what I see there...

Go catters

Trades aside, I'd be definitely keeping walker and stringer on the senior list. Bathie blicavs and eardley all show they have a future for mine, will probably only keep one of Simpkin or sheringham while burbury has been a favorite of mine for a while, would hate to see him finally get his chance and take it in different colors. Can we keep all but one? Probably not but I think its a good crop we've got, as shown by our vfl position. Retirement's and trading and the tightness of our list may decide some of these boys futures as much as their talent and promise. Will trust the club to get it right though. As they do.

Sheringham 1st year? thats interesting give him another preseason and he will seriously be pushing for a ones spot IMO. Seeing Stringer is on his 3rd and its promote or nothing, I can see them trading him away.

Which begs an interesting question - what is our strongest side? Is it as many AFL listed players as possible? Or do we shuffle the likes of Blicavs to the side and put in some mature VFL guys?
Surely the experience of playing finals against seasoned senior players can only help their development.

Blicavs has shown plenty in only a few vfl games, wouldn't be taking him out at all. Could surprise a few this series.

I think only Stringer and Walker have earned promotion. Not convinced Simpkin will be retained - was recruited on the back of being a Victorian state player and has never quite regained that form. What's his future ceiling? Same with Burbury. Club historically has been pretty ruthless with rookies.

We are in a different phase than before in the sense that we have been dipping into the rookie list for a sustained run of games at AFL level this season. We are losing senior players quicker than we can replace them through the national draft basically. I guess it will come down to where they see us next year. If they don't think we will be competitive then they will probably gut those few rookies on the edge and pick up 4 or 5 newbies on the rookie list and hope to catch a future above average AFL player in the net. If they think we can be in the mix, then the despite the ceiling not going much higher, then the development that has been put into Simpkin and Burbury produces some depth around the more precocious talents like Smedts etc.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back