Remove this Banner Ad

dogga91

Debutant
Mar 29, 2011
kew
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Gday guys,

As it looks, Footscray may be a pretty prominent player in the VFL final series and I am incredibly stoked about the success of the team. I was wondering how the eligibility works for our AFL listed players, obviously related to the number of games they have played in the VFL. Does anyone know that figure? and have an idea of the players who may be eligible?

Thanks,

Dogga

I think for week 1 every listed player is eligible given our senior team would be playing. After that i think the number is usually 5 or 6 VFL games played.

Fortunately it isn't what it was about 10 years ago when aligned clubs were only able to play 12 listed players....

basically if we wanted to, we could field our entire list since 90% of players are able to play in the finals

I think there is a rule that a player that plays a certain number of AFL games towards the end of the season would be ineligible after the first week, probably to avoid teams out of AFL contention loading up the VFL side with players to go for a flag. If that happens it takes a lot away from the VFL listed players

I've been talking about this for a few weeks because I was hoping Clay would get enough games under his belt to qualify :oops:

I think I read that after July 1st 2014, any player who plays an AFL game has to have at least 6 VFL games under his belt to qualify for finals. Guys like Redpath, JJ, Austin, Jong, Tutt are all eligible, along with the VFL regulars of course in Campbell, Cordy, Talia etc. Grant and Hrovat have played 4, Jones and Hunter 3.

Full list here : http://www.foxsportspulse.com/team_info.cgi?id=20320223&c=1-118-0-294689-0

Last edited:
It's related to the 2013 season, but here is the clause:

20.2 Subject to Regulation 20.3 below, players who have played with the AFL Senior team of any AFL Club after the 1st day of July in the relevant season shall be ineligible to play in the VFL Senior or AFL Victoria Development League Finals unless they have played a total of at least six (6) Senior VFL or AFL Victoria Development League matches in the same season.

So here is the list of players then.
Alexander Greenwood

Ayce Cordy

Brett Goodes

Christian Howard

Matthew Fuller

Fletcher Roberts

Michael Talia

Sam Darley

Thomas Campbell

Tom Young

Lin Jong

Jason Johannisen

Mitchell Honeychurch

Mark Austin

Clay Smith

Jason Tutt

Grant, Prudden, Wallis and Hrovat all need two more games. Dickson, Stringer, Jones, Hunter and Pearce all need 3 more.

(Actually, it's listing Higgins as having played one, so it might not have counted the most recent, in which case Grant will need only one more, and Dickson, Jones and Pearce just 2 more. )

They can drink themselves stupid and harass people at Federation Square in a tutu after they deliver us some long awaited silverware, even if it is only the VFL :p

They can drink themselves stupid and harass people at Federation Square in a tutu after they deliver us some long awaited silverware, even if it is only the VFL :p
It's only been 4 and a half years since we won the amazing NAB Cup

Yeah whatever lets hope we win the VFL flag.

So here is the list of players then.

Grant, Prudden, Wallis and Hrovat all need two more games. Dickson, Stringer, Jones, Hunter and Pearce all need 3 more.

Prudden and Pearce have not played AFL, so this rule wouldn't apply to them unless they were to play one of the next 5 games. Given their injury status (who knows what this is?), I'd say that this is highly unlikely. If they were to get fit, they'd be IN the VFL finals.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Prudden and Pearce have not played AFL, so this rule wouldn't apply to them unless they were to play one of the next 5 games. Given their injury status (who knows what this is?), I'd say that this is highly unlikely. If they were to get fit, they'd be IN the VFL finals.
When we spotted them last week, they looked to be finished for the year.

When we spotted them last week, they looked to be finished for the year.
I thought Pearce was looking to get back for the finals?

Excluding the non-AFL list guys the player needs to have played at least 6 vfl games and no more than 12 AFL games so that would lead to:

Player
Jason Tutt ,
Jason Johannisen,
Mark Austin ,
Lin Jong ,
Tory Dickson ,
Fletcher Roberts,
Tom Young ,
Mitch Honeychurch,
Michael Talia ,
Tom Campbell ,
Sam Darley ,
Jack Redpath ,
Christian Howard,
Brett Goodes ,
Clay Smith ,
Matthew Fuller ,
Ayce Cordy ,
Alex Greenwood ,

Jarrad Grant , played 4 Not sure if there is an injury rule he could come in under?
Josh Prudden , played 4 Not sure if there is an injury rule he could come in under?
Daniel Pearce , played 3 No idea what has happened to him this year

Remove this Banner Ad

Back