Review VFL Reserves Grand Final: Box Hill Hawks v Williamstown, 19 September 2015, 11.40am @ NPO

Remove this Banner Ad

I'm bloody suspicious of the time keepers, and umpire 20 needs to be hit by a bus...........

.....and then run over by a train...

..before being struck by lighting.

Bad luck to Box Hill but overall you had another great year.

The umpires they were a disgrace and gave Willy every little infringement , I felt like punching the umpires in the face afterwards, bloody cheaters.

Hard to watch. We had a couple of F50 entries in the mayhem of the last few minutes but just couldn't get boot to ball close to goal.

It was there own fault for kicking long to a contest instead of chipping the ball around and maintaining possession until they worked the ball inside 40 where they could guarantee kicking a point.

They did that three times, once just before the siren with about 50 seconds to go and twice in extra time. It was very dumb footy.

Last edited:
I'm still shattered by the development teams golden point loss. Effectively the fact we defeated Williamstown 18.10.118 to 9.9.63 away, 17.14.116 to 14.6.90 at home and 12.9.81 to 9.7.61 in the semi final counts for nothing. Where did we go wrong? We went through the home and away season undefeated with a percentage of 236.57 because we played as a team with a first class work rate defensively and offensively. In the grand final too much was left to too few whereas 23 Williamstown players were prepared to run hard all game to make sure we could not create any space on the ground. At half time and three quarter time I think our players thought they only had to put their foots on the accelerator but to Williamstown's credit they played four quarters of team football and totally shut down our run. As a result we had no players in space, lost our composure and just banged the ball forward and the Williamstown defenders lined up to rebound. What was particularly disappointing was the number of players who played their worst game for the season and the number of times we had a two or three players competing for a mark allowing Williamstown to clear with ease.

Whilst I must give credit to the Williamstown I have to say the umpiring was a total disgrace. I was told the free kick count in the first quarter was 9 to 1 and for the game 28 to 12. There were too many blatantly wrong decisions to consider it was a simple matter of poor umpiring. In the first quarter there was one deliberate out of bounds call which made the Grant Birchall decision on Friday night look an obviously correct call. What was so farcical was a Williamstown player called for deliberate and the umpire obliged without thought. The worst decision came in the last minute when Ryan Exon appeared to mark the ball in our goal square before a Willy player made front on contact, chopped his arms and made high contact. The ball was cleared and soon after Williamstown scored the golden point. I hope the cheating pricks were admitted to hospital with perforated bowels as a result of their well earned rewards for their disgracefully biased umpiring.

Today I hate to admit I was in two minds over who I wanted to win the Willy v Essenscum PF. I have never known a team to so consistently be on the end of favourable umpiring decisions and after yesterday I'm nervous about the need to overcome more than Williamstown in the GF.

Last edited:
Bad result for the Development squad. They seemed overwhelmed by the moment, except for the last quarter when they started playing like it was a GF.

Lachie Langford took a nice grab in the last and appeared to lift to the challenge. If he can start a game like he finished this one he may turn out OK.

JML also lifted a few gears in the last. First time I have seen him turn the jets on, when he does he can play. His effort in the last was miles better than his usual dross. A disappointing year for mine, but at least I have seen a glimpse of what he can do.

Just a game from Hardisty. His decision making is shown up at this level so he has some work to do.

Bad luck to Box Hill but overall you had another great year.

The umpires they were a disgrace and gave Willy every little infringement , I felt like punching the umpires in the face afterwards, bloody cheaters.

It was possibly the worst umpiring against a Hawks team I've ever witnessed.I don't know how we got so close.
Wily controlled the footy all day I thought. Around the packs we were slaughtered,don't know what Hardisty
was doing,never saw it.But with fair umpiring we win by 2-3 goals.It almost bordered on cheating.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back