VFL VFL Round 1: Sandringham vs Frankston Match Details & Preview

Remove this Banner Ad

Also great to see Shenton find some form the past few weeks. Named in the best yesterday and has been talked about positively by the coaches after the practice matches as well. I still have my doubts he can make it at AFL level, but he's definitely making his case.

Also great to see Shenton find some form the past few weeks. Named in the best yesterday and has been talked about positively by the coaches after the practice matches as well. I still have my doubts he can make it at AFL level, but he's definitely making his case.
With Sam Gilbert injured if it's a long term one well Shenton, Minch and Weller better start fighting!

With Sam Gilbert injured if it's a long term one well Shenton, Minch and Weller better start fighting!

Minchington has gone backwards, just doesn't seem have same "cleaniness" about his disposal anymore. Never seen him grub so many kicks as have this year. Think they need move him back up forward and forget about him becoming midfielder.

Shenton is ahead of pack at moment. No surprise he's dominating off half back, was always his best position. Coaches finally realized this aswell.

I don't see how Tom Lee is a "dud".

Stupid call, he finished last season off well and you didn't see a bad thing at all about him and now just because he has started 2014 off slowly after two off season shoulder surgery's he is now a dud.. He probably just has a bit of the second year blues, keeping in mind he is still a young guy at just 23 years old has time on his side.

this and recovering from various surgeries. players have poor form patches all the time, its how you respond to them that is important. i'll back him in.

Minchington has gone backwards, just doesn't seem have same "cleaniness" about his disposal anymore. Never seen him grub so many kicks as have this year. Think they need move him back up forward and forget about him becoming midfielder.

Shenton is ahead of pack at moment. No surprise he's dominating off half back, was always his best position. Coaches finally realized this aswell.

Agreed...Shenton has improved so much in the last 12 months...I asked him yesterday where he prefers to play and no surprises when he said in defence..he even drifted down and kicked a goal against the wind..

Not sure what's happening with Minchington...his kicking was always a highlight but lately it's average...had a set shot for goal in the last 1/4 with the wind and it was miles off target..

A very satisfying win yesterday against a teams that's always hard to beat at home...3 weeks ago they beat us in a practice match there..

Loved Simpkins game on Lourey...kept him to 5 disposals for the game

Billings turned in on the second half..his kicking reminds me of Bachar Houli's..kicked goals from tight angles and against the wind...we may only see him a few more times at sandy as I would expect him to be back in the St Kilda team soon...if he plays for Sandy next week against Box Hill it will be a much tougher game against the reigning premiers.

Agreed...Shenton has improved so much in the last 12 months...I asked him yesterday where he prefers to play and no surprises when he said in defence..he even drifted down and kicked a goal against the wind..

Not sure what's happening with Minchington...his kicking was always a highlight but lately it's average...had a set shot for goal in the last 1/4 with the wind and it was miles off target..

A very satisfying win yesterday against a teams that's always hard to beat at home...3 weeks ago they beat us in a practice match there..

Loved Simpkins game on Lourey...kept him to 5 disposals for the game

Billings turned in on the second half..his kicking reminds me of Bachar Houli's..kicked goals from tight angles and against the wind...we may only see him a few more times at sandy as I would expect him to be back in the St Kilda team soon...if he plays for Sandy next week against Box Hill it will be a much tougher game against the reigning premiers.

Yeah no surprises that he loves playing down there! It is handy that he can sneak forward and hit scoreboard. One things I've noticed since his move down back is his kicking has improved. More often then not he will hit target.

Good to see Shenton hitting form but his position is where we seem a bit loaded with similar types.

Another club might offer him a contract, not sure if we'll elevate him at the end of the year. (Might eat my words here)

Good to see Shenton hitting form but his position is where we seem a bit loaded with similar types.

Another club might offer him a contract, not sure if we'll elevate him at the end of the year. (Might eat my words here)

It would be good if we could get some AFL games into him. But with Wright and Webster thereabouts, we'd have to have some bad luck.

With Fisher pretty much in semi-retirement, Dempster (and maybe Gwilt) coming to the end and Dylan unfortunately off his tucker (hope he is ok) - there should be room for both the Wolfman and Simpkin on the Saints list in the next few years you might think.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Was pretty happy to see Milera sitting at the feet of Lee/Bennett a few times, playing as a proper small fwd. Last few years he would have tried to take a flying mark and got in the way. An area that he really needs to work on and we really need at Saints, a quick crumbing fwd.

Bruce, Lee and Billings/Milera to come in for Gilbert (inj), Maister (omit) and Savage (omit) IMO. Anyone who gets to the sandy games have a preference of Saints players in the 2's to get a call up?
Haven't read the entire blog but Wellers game was outstanding, not only tagged a key Frankston mid but found the ball himself in close.
Shenton shows great promise but needs to clean up his disposal.
We need to persevere with Savage, started showing signs and he'll be better after a few full games in his legs, the vest isn't helping him

where is oscar persson at? Holmes needs some time in the development league especially with the 15 saint rule.
Or is Beech/Cumming able to step up into seniors?

Why does he need spend time in Devs? Thought he was pretty good on weekend. He had shoulder ruck and considering he's only just learning game he was solid. Won plenty of hitouts or at worst made contest. He has areas he needs work on but reckon he's going alright in seniors.

As I said earlier in a roundabout fashion, Holmes simply needs gametime, regardless of what level it is at.

I'd like him to play a few games in defence at dev level. In recent years when you look at the converts, they've largely started in defense, then moved to amother position if prefered.

Sent from my LG-P713 using Tapatalk

As I said earlier in a roundabout fashion, Holmes simply needs gametime, regardless of what level it is at.

I'd like him to play a few games in defence at dev level. In recent years when you look at the converts, they've largely started in defense, then moved to amother position if prefered.

Sent from my LG-P713 using Tapatalk
Holmes was all at sea against Frankston but that is to be expected given his 5 minutes playing AFL, whichever level we play him at it must be in the ruck as that is where he'll play if he makes it. He's a real competitor and seems well liked by the team however his most disturbing trait is flying for marks from behind (which Stanley also does) however he appears savvy enough to rectify this with time. Has a good leap.

Why does he need spend time in Devs? Thought he was pretty good on weekend. He had shoulder ruck and considering he's only just learning game he was solid. Won plenty of hitouts or at worst made contest. He has areas he needs work on but reckon he's going alright in seniors.

Just thought he looked out of depth and given that we can only have 15 playing in vfl seniors would prefer to see him in dev league than siposs or murdoch (based on ratings). Especially if we do get steven and schneider back even just for 60% game time. Some players will have to drop down. IMO Holmes is one of them.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back