2nds VFL Round 19 - Geelong v Collingwood, Simonds Stadium, 11:00AM Saturday 16 August

Remove this Banner Ad

White,Lynch,Karnesis & Young [late withdrawal for tonight] all in Collingwoods VFL.
That boom recruiting is going well Eddie :rolleyes:

Do you wanna pinch Billie from us ......please ? ;)
As it is getting so close to Finals, may I suggest we use Billie as a human sacrifice to the AFL Premiership bestowing god? :D

Brad Hartman once again with a more than solid performance to continue to press his case for AFL football.

30 touches, 11 clearances, six inside 50s and seven tackles
Does Hartman have any chance, with Lang also, to get some Finals experience? Look how playing Finals really bolstered so many of our Kittens in 2010-11-12-13!

Really is amazing at how far Hartman has improved in so little time, kudos' to him, he must have really worked his backside off.
That's what we should all focus on.

The rapid improvement in the kid.

It has been startling considering where he was last year.

Really is amazing at how far Hartman has improved in so little time, kudos' to him, he must have really worked his backside off.

I cornered Knights at K'Park one day and that is exactly what he said he did over the preseason.

I'm really sick of this rubbish , where was he called a "hack"? If we are going to quote be precise. If we going to bring up other peoples opinion be accurate.

Pull your head in a bit Turbo.

Where have I "quoted" anyone on this here? It is a general statement about the attitude of some on this board toward an bottom age kid at pick 77. An attitude to which Dazbroncos a few posts earlier admitted to. And I did not have anyone in particular in mind.

If we are going to quote be precise. If we going to bring up other peoples opinion be accurate.

And you may want to take a leaf out of your own book on this one.

Last edited:
I'm really sick of this rubbish , where was he called a "hack"? If we are going to quote be precise. If we going to bring up other peoples opinion be accurate.

In defense of The rabbi, in the list management thread and a few others, last year there were a lot of people calling for his head saying that we only picked him up on the senior list because he had no space on our rookie list, there were a lot of calls for him to be de-listed and re-rookied.

http://www.bigfooty.com/forum/threads/brad-hartman.1007894/

This was what you said at the time, not that anyone would hold it against you. but a commonly held opinion was why did Wells pick him.

Should be a Rookie listed player , if listed at all. Cant see what attracted Wells atm but sometimes you back the Jockey not the horse , if Wells has picked I will give him time but on anyone else list I would seriously consider looking at making a hard choice.

If I was going to single some one out I would quote them. But as I said before, I had no individual in mind. Here endeth the matter for me.

In defense of The rabbi, in the list management thread and a few others, last year there were a lot of people calling for his head saying that we only picked him up on the senior list because he had no space on our rookie list, there were a lot of calls for him to be de-listed and re-rookied.

http://www.bigfooty.com/forum/threads/brad-hartman.1007894/

This was what you said at the time, not that anyone would hold it against you. but a commonly held opinion was why did Wells pick him.

It was debated in the thread for Brad and reading it back , I really think that the list Management discussion crossed over to Brad and his position and if he is kept it means letting other go etc. It really should have been in another thread , because the issue was about multiple players and who was going to go at years end.

Yes several time in that thread I would have said he should have been a Rookie. I cant find where he was called a "Hack" by anyone and I think thats what set me off. That he and others like Cowan and Linc were kept and we let Pods and Chappy go is done , the choice was made.
This year I have been confused why we picked Bates instead of a young ruck , I can only hope that Bates shows the type of form and promise in his second year that Hartman his in his.

Watching the VFL game , I was surprised he had 30 poss at games end. He was highly influential in q3 , kicked a very nice goal from the Ablett pocket with a setshot. He has progressed a lot further than what Id have thought possible , and thats why I originally said in the quote you highlighted you back the horse. If he plays a 100 games , being picked so late it may be one of Wells best ever calls.

It was debated in the thread for Brad and reading it back , I really think that the list Management discussion crossed over to Brad and his position and if he is kept it means letting other go etc. It really should have been in another thread , because the issue was about multiple players and who was going to go at years end.

Yes several time in that thread I would have said he should have been a Rookie. I cant find where he was called a "Hack" by anyone and I think thats what set me off. That he and others like Cowan and Linc were kept and we let Pods and Chappy go is done , the choice was made.
This year I have been confused why we picked Bates instead of a young ruck , I can only hope that Bates shows the type of form and promise in his second year that Hartman his in his.

Watching the VFL game , I was surprised he had 30 poss at games end. He was highly influential in q3 , kicked a very nice goal from the Ablett pocket with a setshot. He has progressed a lot further than what Id have thought possible , and thats why I originally said in the quote you highlighted you back the horse. If he plays a 100 games , being picked so late it may be one of Wells best ever calls.

While the word "hack" might not have been used there were many on this board strongly doubting his ability at even VFL level. I agree with you on Bates on both points but he's kind of like McCarthy at the moment since he hasn't really got on the park at all. I feel Scott got rid of Chapman and Podsiadly to force his hand, if they were still on the list he would find it hard to force them to play in the VFL.

There must not have been a ruckman who fit Wells desired attributes, then again there is a glut of ruckman (not necessary good ruckman) on lists who aren't getting any gametime since they were drafted 5+ years ago before the demand for ruckman dropped when the sub rule came in. We might go the free agent option for a ruckman in twelve months time, someone like a Giles who isn't getting a game at GWS.

To be honest I haven't seen too much of Hartman's VFL form other than the VFL highlights, he looked promising at AFL level, he just needs to build up more confidence in himself, at times he looked hesitant with his disposal and just rather than kick it forward he just did a sideways pass as in deference to our older players, kinda similar to what Kersten is doing.

On your third paragraph, I can't remember who said it on this board, but some suggested that we drafted him a year early. He was born late in the year (Nov 16) so still had a lot of growth in him, he didn't turn 19 until after the season had ended. Wells probably didn't want to risk losing him if he waited another year.

Wells thought he might go in the 30's a year later.
Might have got that one wrong by a year.

But he certainly lacked any endurance last year. Jury was definitely out for me.
Really liked his 2014.

Jury has been dismissed for a couple of years :D

Wells thought he might go in the 30's a year later.
Might have got that one wrong by a year.

But he certainly lacked any endurance last year. Jury was definitely out for me.
Really liked his 2014.

Jury has been dismissed for a couple of years :D

If I read this correctly you are referring to Hartman not Bates. . If not, then my bad.

That said, Wells did think Hartman was a mid 30's pick a year later and thus he took him at 77.

And by this year, he got it right.

As my sig now says, get that man a statue.

And if Bates goes the same way, that statue should be gold.

Go Catters

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I wrote in another thread if SJ does not play bring Hartman in.

Not that Bews and Thurlow do not deserve more senior exposure but they are not mids. Hartman is also a tackler and finals need tacklers, chasers, runners and ball getters. Hartman has surprised me but he has the runs on the board at the right time of the year. Could be a great sub in the weeks to come.

So for me -

Ins - Bartel, Murdoch and Hartman.

Outs - Bews, Thurlow and Smedts.

The more runners we have against the Hawks (that can still get the ball) - the more we stretch the Hawks IMO.
Hartman seems to be going ahead in leaps + bounds, so that's a good call Jon if SJ doesn't play. Agree with your ins, however, I'd just love Bews to have more experience.

If I read this correctly you are referring to Hartman not Bates. . If not, then my bad.

That said, Wells did think Hartman was a mid 30's pick a year later and thus he took him at 77.

And by this year, he got it right.

As my sig now says, get that man a statue.

And if Bates goes the same way, that statue should be gold.

Go Catters

Yeah I was. Probably should read all the posts :oops:

I think his bio on the Cats' website acknowledges that OzeSparky, IIRC. I think he's been amazing! Is he from a basketball background too?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back