2nds VFL Round 15 - Sandringham V Geelong, Trevor Barker Beach Oval, 2:00PM Sunday 20 July

Remove this Banner Ad

my mates an Essendon supporter and we were talking footy and he doesn't think our young kids are progressing as well as we thought they would. Mentioned Duncan as one of those but I said he's been one of our best performed mids for the whole season.
Surely we aren't being biased? Duncan has been very good and good in the big games.
Yeah he's been great but once a game he does something really stupid or gets caught when he shouldn't but that will improve with age.

Regardless of where Sandy is, the size of the smashing reflects a damn good effort.

My worry is that is too late in the season (with big games coming) to give Hamling, Shredder, Thurlow the games in the seniors that may encourage them to stay next season. Be surprised if at least one doesn't go, quoting lack of opportunity (that really should have been avoided).

I will be especially peeved if Hamling goes without a game in seniors and turns out to be alright.

my mates an Essendon supporter and we were talking footy and he doesn't think our young kids are progressing as well as we thought they would. Mentioned Duncan as one of those but I said he's been one of our best performed mids for the whole season.
Surely we aren't being biased? Duncan has been very good and good in the big games.

He's made significant progress this year - good in most of the big games, 2 or 3 match-winners, regular appearances in our best 6, far fewer poor games, and much better at his unobtrusive and selfless team-oriented work in defence. He's now one of our important players, and we can expect further improvement next year.
And he's the unobtrusive sort who's never going to be accorded his full respect from the opposition spectators, or even from less insightful Geelong supporters, for that matter.

Yeah, 28 into 22 just doesn't go, does it? I can't see much change from the team which played last night- Bundy and Blicavs to come in- Hartman out plus a ruckman rotation possibly. Who knows?

Unfortunately we don't seem to be getting the rotations and resting players like we've expected but we just have to hope that the MC know what they're doing.
I guess if we look closely, players have missed games all over- there have been 2 byes and only 6 players have played every game.
A few are getting a rest next week?

A few are getting a rest next week?

I think this late-season bye has undoubtedly been factored into their season-long "rest" planning, so that fewer routine rests are required.
I know that all clubs get it, so it provides no overall competitive edge to us and ours, but it does mean that individual tired players still get the rest they may personally need.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Gday all i was at the game today. I always take the kids when the cats play Sandy they get to see a few players. Great to see Joel Selwood down watching and involved, my kids got a great photo with him. For the record the Fog was weird it covered the whole ground and was definitely hard to see as a spectator.
Was a big win as the score reflects we smashed them early around the ball and Sandy just couldnt get there hands on it. Was a lot to like with a few players today. Im always trying to be positive when i watch the Cats so i will tell it how i saw it on a few.

Linc McCarthy: impressed me a hell of alot today he didnt seem to touch it in the 1st qtr but from then onwards he was into everything. He looks nice and fit and his skills were well and truly on. He has that touch of class and also a bit of mongrel. He was zippy and quick all over the ground. Always presenting and took some great marks on strong leads as well kicking some crumbing goals.
Luxford: i like the look of him. He is strong through the hips and has some football smarts. From were he has come from he doesn't look out of his depth and i kept thinking what would another 12 months of development do for him. He knows were the goals are. Im interested to see what sort of player he will become. He seems to have no problem from my eyes inside the contest.
Walker: looked good at CHB and across the backline. He seemed to read the play well and take some big strong marks. He wasnt playing on anybody damaging but its good to see his development going to another area of the ground.
Bews: looks like a player who knows his game in the seconds now. When to come off his man and when to attack. He was playing as the +1 down back at times and running through the middle linking up well. He is a strong bugger and has obviously worked on his rig to get it up to AFL standard. Good to also see The rat down watching his son. I think Jed is definitely keeping his name in the mix.
Thurlow: was good at times as well playing all over the ground wing, half forward and a little behind the ball. He always seems to make smart decisions from my eyes its just if he can do this consistently in the seniors is the question. He looks like he has had a good 4-6 weeks of football but is being made to really earn it.
Lang: is a beauty will play many games for the cats smart with the ball has great agility and uses it well. Nice turn of pace played wing on ball and half forward Build up his fitness and strength and he will definately make it from my eyes.
Kolojazznee: He looks a smart footballer reads the play well and bodys his player well to give himself time to use the ball. I dont know if he will end up playing on the big monster forwards but if he is a third tall he will be a very solid player for the cats. Looks agile and mobile enough to play on smalls as well.
Stringer: does alot of hard work inside the contest and is always last to get up. He has good skills but i dont think he will ever be much else then a good 2s player.
Schroder was very good probably BOG. I keep asking myself he does alot of things rite in the VFL hard at it wins his own ball and kicks goals, but how does he make it as an AFL player. Im not sure he may be one of those players that finally makes it at his 3 club. Maybe??
Hamling: He started on there big ruck and he was out marked early in the game. He is very quick to close down players on the lead. After half time he was playing on a mid size player for Sandy and always seems to get his long arms in. Just keep developing him i say and hope he slowly builds some strength.
Toohey: I like him looks a smart footballer and has some size for a kid. He doesnt look lost to me and i reckon he is developing along nicely. Is a good kick in general play as well. Same as Luxford 12 months on and it will be good to see were he is at.
Jansen: Great size for a mid and today he went forward at times and caused headaches in the air and with his strength when the ball hit the ground. Another beauty i reckon.

My best players today in no particular order would have been Schroder,Gleeson,McCarthy,Bews,Walker.
In the end its all about taking the next step up as its a big step but i reckon from my eyes we have some players who will be good players for the Cats. lets hope we can develop them to be champions.

He's made significant progress this year - good in most of the big games, 2 or 3 match-winners, regular appearances in our best 6, far fewer poor games, and much better at his unobtrusive and selfless team-oriented work in defence. He's now one of our important players, and we can expect further improvement next year.
And he's the unobtrusive sort who's never going to be accorded his full respect from the opposition spectators, or even from less insightful Geelong supporters, for that matter.

Until he runs through the middle with the ball, puts the ball on his boot and drills one of his spectacular passes right onto the chest of Tom Hawkins... You can bet they'll sit up and take notice then!!!

Gday all i was at the game today. I always take the kids when the cats play Sandy they get to see a few players. Great to see Joel Selwood down watching and involved, my kids got a great photo with him. For the record the Fog was weird it covered the whole ground and was definitely hard to see as a spectator.
Was a big win as the score reflects we smashed them early around the ball and Sandy just couldnt get there hands on it. Was a lot to like with a few players today. Im always trying to be positive when i watch the Cats so i will tell it how i saw it on a few.

Linc McCarthy: impressed me a hell of alot today he didnt seem to touch it in the 1st qtr but from then onwards he was into everything. He looks nice and fit and his skills were well and truly on. He has that touch of class and also a bit of mongrel. He was zippy and quick all over the ground. Always presenting and took some great marks on strong leads as well kicking some crumbing goals.
Luxford: i like the look of him. He is strong through the hips and has some football smarts. From were he has come from he doesn't look out of his depth and i kept thinking what would another 12 months of development do for him. He knows were the goals are. Im interested to see what sort of player he will become. He seems to have no problem from my eyes inside the contest.
Walker: looked good at CHB and across the backline. He seemed to read the play well and take some big strong marks. He wasnt playing on anybody damaging but its good to see his development going to another area of the ground.
Bews: looks like a player who knows his game in the seconds now. When to come off his man and when to attack. He was playing as the +1 down back at times and running through the middle linking up well. He is a strong bugger and has obviously worked on his rig to get it up to AFL standard. Good to also see The rat down watching his son. I think Jed is definitely keeping his name in the mix.
Thurlow: was good at times as well playing all over the ground wing, half forward and a little behind the ball. He always seems to make smart decisions from my eyes its just if he can do this consistently in the seniors is the question. He looks like he has had a good 4-6 weeks of football but is being made to really earn it.
Lang: is a beauty will play many games for the cats smart with the ball has great agility and uses it well. Nice turn of pace played wing on ball and half forward Build up his fitness and strength and he will definately make it from my eyes.
Kolojazznee: He looks a smart footballer reads the play well and bodys his player well to give himself time to use the ball. I dont know if he will end up playing on the big monster forwards but if he is a third tall he will be a very solid player for the cats. Looks agile and mobile enough to play on smalls as well.
Stringer: does alot of hard work inside the contest and is always last to get up. He has good skills but i dont think he will ever be much else then a good 2s player.
Schroder was very good probably BOG. I keep asking myself he does alot of things rite in the VFL hard at it wins his own ball and kicks goals, but how does he make it as an AFL player. Im not sure he may be one of those players that finally makes it at his 3 club. Maybe??
Hamling: He started on there big ruck and he was out marked early in the game. He is very quick to close down players on the lead. After half time he was playing on a mid size player for Sandy and always seems to get his long arms in. Just keep developing him i say and hope he slowly builds some strength.
Toohey: I like him looks a smart footballer and has some size for a kid. He doesnt look lost to me and i reckon he is developing along nicely. Is a good kick in general play as well. Same as Luxford 12 months on and it will be good to see were he is at.
Jansen: Great size for a mid and today he went forward at times and caused headaches in the air and with his strength when the ball hit the ground. Another beauty i reckon.

My best players today in no particular order would have been Schroder,Gleeson,McCarthy,Bews,Walker.
In the end its all about taking the next step up as its a big step but i reckon from my eyes we have some players who will be good players for the Cats. lets hope we can develop them to be champions.
Welcome! And thanks so much for the in-depth report, tkoajd! Very interesting to hear your views and the detail to which you've gone in describing each players is wonderful!

Buggered if I know how you managed to see all that PLUS look after the kids at the same time!! ;) Good on you!! I hope to see more of your reports of the VFL boys this year! :)

Thanks again!!

Welcome to the board Tkoajd!

Such well written posts will see you become a valued member here. Keep up the good work :thumbsu:

so glad to read this. Appears the coaching staff may indeed play him CHB for the remainder of the season?
Has a bit of Lachie Hansen about him imo.
Lachie Hansen is an excellent mark, and a very good kick, was a high draft pick. Hair colour and height may be their most apparent similarities, imho.
Walker in VFL is excellent- I dread him playing in defence in AFL at present. But there is something there.

Lachie Hansen is an excellent mark, and a very good kick, was a high draft pick. Hair colour and height may be their most apparent similarities, imho.
Walker in VFL is excellent- I dread him playing in defence in AFL at present. But there is something there.
Can't say I agree on today's outing. Although I noticed another poster wrapped him up. In fairness, he wasn't in the play for much of the time due to our dominance.

Lacked urgency, was a spectator at too many contests and was too carefree when he gained possession.

Noticed Caracella was watchful of the way he went about things today so he must still be on the radar of those who know best.

love the crap
we had injuries to the mids where we dont run deep
selwood and sj have been ordinary by their standards for 5-6 weeks
yet we are second

get a grip people

Can't say I agree on today's outing. Although I noticed another poster wrapped him up. In fairness, he wasn't in the play for much of the time due to our dominance.

Lacked urgency, was a spectator at too many contests and was too carefree when he gained possession.

Noticed Caracella was watchful of the way he went about things today so he must still be on the radar of those who know best.
The commentators also talked him up and I've read elsewhere- just another couple of people- that his game today got a big "thumbs up"

Remove this Banner Ad

Back