Review VFL round 2, 2014 - Box Hill Hawks v Sandringham, 13 April 2014, 2.00pm @ BHCO

Remove this Banner Ad

And the DT won 146-42 according to the VFL Match Centre...

BOX HILL HAWKS

Goal Kickers: T. Gordon 8, S. Cust 5, M. Northe 3, B. Wood 2, J. Stewart , R. Monkhorst , A. Franetic , S. Crocker
Best Players: B. Wood, T. Gordon, S. Cust, M. Northe, L. Andrews, T. Goodwin
SANDRINGHAM
Goal Kickers: J. Blenkinsop 2, W. McTaggart , D. Markworth , L. Ritchie
Best Players: D. Minchington, L. Barnhoorn, C. Kelso, J. Davis, D. Markworth, D. Weickhardt

Thanks guys I really look forward to hearing about our young players in both of our BH sides as it gives insight in to our future...It sounds as weve picked up a couple of beauties of Hartung and Sicily....And can anyone tell me a bit about T.Gordon in our reserves side 8 goals in in bad conditions, sounds like he can play..
Also good to hear about Lake, Stratton amongst our best. Surely they should play especially if Spangher cant get over his ankle injury, against the cats, which would be disappointing I thought his lasts two weeks have been excelled.. Ones again I like to know more about T. Gordons 8 goals in the BH reserves if anyone can shed some light
PS a Draw doesn't sound as bad after 7 goals down in the first quarter..IMO.

Yes, in the clearances we were soundly beaten which is somewhat surprising in that the taps were about 50/50
Good effort from their bloke as this is his first year of footy, some Yank basketballer.

Schoe started down back then seemed to spend more time up forward. Slow start, solid enough finish. He did not look bad as a leading forward, pretty good hands. He is not doing a lot of running but looks unencumbered.

Brian played about half a game. Marked everything that came near him but he hardly raised a sweat. Post game on the radio he said he was playing a full game at BHH next week.

N
According to the VFL Match Centre...

BOX HILL HAWKS

Goal Kickers: M. Hallahan 3, L. Lowden 2, P. Lawlor 2, B. Ross 2, M. O''Donnell 2, J. Sicily , W. Hartung , L. Tobin , R. Schoenmakers
Best Players: M. Lock, S. Iles, M. Hallahan, B. Lake, A. Litherland, B. Stratton
SANDRINGHAM
Goal Kickers: S. Ross 3, T. Lee 3, C. Shenton 2, T. Milera 2, A. Siposs , A. Schneider , B. Murdoch , T. Dennis-Lane
Best Players: A. Cockie, T. Simpkin, T. Milera, S. Ross, P. Flanagan, M. Weller
Must have been a great game to watch,interesting with the best players litherland,lake and Stratton

Litherland was best on for Box Hill the most consistent across all 4 qtrs.
Hallahan who was given an earful responded after qtr time to play a good game still has problems defensively.
Luke Lowden really was terrible in the ruck for us in that last qtr. we lost just about every clearance and stoppage. He is a bit like Sandilands was especially earlier in his career where sandi would get plenty of taps but not many at all to advantage.
Schoey after seeing him play today is still a couple of weeks away at least.
Brian played 3 qtrs so he will lineup for box hill again next week. Was a class above and contested marking especially in that last qtr nearly won us the game.
Stratts still think he is one more game away given our track record i wouldnt be suprised if he lined up for box hill again.
Hartung and sicily were good in patches and young billy ran all day.
Tim OB needs to step up and show a bit of intensity not going hard enough at this stage may end back in the 2's if he's not carefull

Litherland was best on for Box Hill the most consistent across all 4 qtrs.
Hallahan who was given an earful responded after qtr time to play a good game still has problems defensively.
Luke Lowden really was terrible in the ruck for us in that last qtr. we lost just about every clearance and stoppage. He is a bit like Sandilands was especially earlier in his career where sandi would get plenty of taps but not many at all to advantage.
Schoey after seeing him play today is still a couple of weeks away at least.
Brian played 3 qtrs so he will lineup for box hill again next week. Was a class above and contested marking especially in that last qtr nearly won us the game.
Stratts still think he is one more game away given our track record i wouldnt be suprised if he lined up for box hill again.
Hartung and sicily were good in patches and young billy ran all day.
Tim OB needs to step up and show a bit of intensity not going hard enough at this stage may end back in the 2's if he's not carefull
Nice to hear that,wangers must have been injured not to play boxer was the only one to go north

Did the mids lose out because we went too tall ?

Our team got better as the game went on so perhaps not

As I posted yesterday during the game, Box Hill's first quarter would go close to being one of the worst quarters in recent memory. Lowden was dominating the ruck but Box Hill's midfield went completely missing. I'm not sure of the official statistics, but from my observations, Sandringham dominated the clearances in the first quarter and could have gone close to doubling Box Hill's possession. Box Hill's defence was under siege and it eventually cracked in time-on as up until about 20 minutes into the quarter, despite their weight of possession, Sandringham only had a lead of roughly a goal. But Sandringham piled the goals on in the first quarter and were unlucky not to be further in front as they hit the post a couple of times. Lake also did not play in the first quarter (certainly not at full-back) so it was Schoenmakers, Brand and Heatherley as the key defenders. From memory, Brand was matched up on Tom Lee, who consistently beat him on the lead, but I'm not sure that even Lake could have done much about it, given Sandringham were delivering the footy on a platter to their forwards for much of the quarter. Schoenmakers looked really rusty as a key defender and then was sent into the forward line in the second quarter and looked reasonably rusty there as well (he kicked a goal but only because he was metres in the clear when Sandringham turned it over and Box Hill quickly kicked it to him).

I assume that Bello gave the Hawks a spray at quarter time as their work-rate was significantly lifted in the second quarter. Lowden continued to dominate the ruck (in that he certainly won more than his fair share of taps, but not often to the advantage of his midfielders) and during the second quarter, the Hawks had more than their fair share of clearances and long possession chains. Surprisingly, both teams seemed to avoid the centre corridor, preferring to work the ball down the flanks. Box Hill's skills lifted with their intensity. In the first quarter, some really basic errors were being made but in the second quarter, the Hawks controlled possession and clawed their way back into the contest to end the half less than 10 points in arrears. Sandringham kicked a couple of goals on the counter-attack but the momentum at the break was certainly with Box Hill. Hallahan and Iles were very influential in midfield. Hartung offered plenty of run on the outside and kicked a nice goal early in the second to kick-start Box Hill's revival. Lowden also pushed forward, took a nice grab and kicked a goal.

Sicily shows promise (kicked a nice goal in the last to put Box Hill in front) but he also seems to need some work on keeping emotions in check. In the second quarter, deep in the forward pocket at the Davey Street end of the ground, Sicily laid a strong tackle and appeared to win a free kick for HTB against his Zebra opponent, but for some reason the Zebra came up with the free kick. Sicily loudly abused the umpire as he went to stand the mark, went silent for a moment, and then unleashed a second tirade on the umpire who (having let the first round of abuse, complete with swear words, go) promptly paid a 50 metre penalty against him. Not sure why other Hawks weren't in there trying to calm him down.

The third quarter was a bit of an arm-wrestle, with both teams equally poised for much of the quarter. Having played most of the second quarter in defence, Lake spent probably the first 10 minutes on the bench and then came on as a defender and pushed up the ground, using his nous to take some telling intercept marks. However, the Zebras hit the scoreboard a few many times late in the quarter to push it out to an almost 3 goal buffer by 3/4 time. I think that proved vital in the final equation, as the Hawks had probably spent quite a few petrol tickets in that quarter and needed to spend some more in the fourth quarter to edge in front (for the first time in the match).

As noted above, Lake and Schoenmakers were thrown forward to offer marking targets for Box Hill.

At the end of the day, it was a high standard affair and I'd say that Box Hill would be happy to come away with two points for the draft, after the head start they gave the Zebras by quarter time. It's a new-look defence for Box Hill, with Mirra really being the only constant down back. Brand and Heatherley have fought their way into the seniors team and are still learning the ropes of how to play with their new teammates. Schoenmakers looked quite rusty and Lake spent little game time in the back half before going forward for the final quarter. Litherland looks to have the potential to be a good player, but I don't think Box Hill quite use him to exploit his talent of being a quick rebounding defender. Litherland is a handy defender man-on-man but his real strength is his pace and that wasn't really evident yesterday.

Hallahan had a poor first quarter but bounced back to be the solid in and under midfielder that is his strength. I've posted elsewhere that he needs to add a string or two to his bow in order to be a solid AFL player and his two goals yesterday certainly does his cause no harm. He was tagged throughout but he coped well with it and was one of Box Hill's best players by the end of the game.

Overall, I thought Lowden had a decent game.

Word just came over the loudspeaker while everyone was at the huddle that Franklin got reported....the entire huddle of supporters let out a Bronx cheer. Humorous stuff.

I started that actually, and a few others joined in.

It was amusing and good spirited.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Lowden was crunched very heavily on his tapped shoulder in the second half of the third and was in all sorts of bother. Should have come off but had to stay on as we were othrewise ruckless.

He won plenty of clear hitouts it's just that their mids were at the fall of the ball most of the time, so that was a failing of our mids.

And can anyone tell me a bit about T.Gordon in our reserves side 8 goals in in bad conditions,

I'm no expert but I believe Tom was on Collingwood's rookie list a few years and was originally with Eastern Ranges, he is a big unit and looks impressive out there and can certainly take a mark. The conditions on Sunday were fine and the Devl side smashed the opposition.
The club match Devl report is up here http://www.boxhillhawks.com.au/eights-great-hawks-thrash-zebras-7.html

Given how the seniors looked slow against Sandy I'd imagine there would be a few Box Hill guys ready to come up next week against Geelong VFL, and could use Tom up forward also.

Some random pics. Mostly of stoppages.

Shem!
63pu.jpg

fapj.jpg

ihe7.jpg

wnk3.jpg

py7n.jpg

Future of the backline?
33ds.jpg

l6cw.jpg

Boxers posture just never looks right. His lower back curves in like it's going to snap.
siwd.jpg

jbhw.jpg

k8jz.jpg

oyeb.jpg

u8tu.jpg

x58p.jpg

os99.jpg

324e.jpg

5u4w.jpg

rxyz.jpg

....Given how the seniors looked slow against Sandy I'd imagine there would be a few Box Hill guys ready to come up next week against Geelong VFL, and could use Tom up forward also.
Dont mind Tom. We have got too much tall timber so I do not like his chances. I prefer him at Fullback as he seems to struggle at FF, whereas down back he seems more confident and aggressive. Probably needs to be a touch quicker to the contest but he must have been very close to having an AFL career.

Lowden was crunched very heavily on his tapped shoulder in the second half of the third and was in all sorts of bother. Should have come off but had to stay on as we were othrewise ruckless.

He won plenty of clear hitouts it's just that their mids were at the fall of the ball most of the time, so that was a failing of our mids.
I agree he won a lot of hitouts in the other qtrs and i mentioned as such. He just couldn't direct them effectively. The last qtr stats in the ruck was a slaughter perhaps because of his shoulder.

How can you tell the difference between:

i. a hitout to the wrong spot
ii. our mids being in the wrong spot
iii. their mids reading the hitout better than our mids and getting there first?

I presume that the rucks are instructed to hit the ball to certain hitout zones depending on their orientation in the contest relative to the ball.

It certainly makes winning the hit outs a dubious honour! They had a yank playing his first year of footy as their main ruckman. We should have had an advantage at the clearances and for whatever reason we did not. There is a bit of work that needs to get done.

Was the first time I have seen a VFL game live on the weekend and usually miss the telecast on ABC.

What is the setup for interchanges/subs? Do they just run with 5 on the bench?
I thought the rubbish rules in the AFL filtered down the leagues for subs and rotations etc.

Was the first time I have seen a VFL game live on the weekend and usually miss the telecast on ABC.

What is the setup for interchanges/subs? Do they just run with 5 on the bench?
I thought the rubbish rules in the AFL filtered down the leagues for subs and rotations etc.

Yes, I'm pretty sure they have one extra on the interchange rather than the sub.

There is also something though called the 23rd man who has certain rules relating to him that I have yet to get my head around :confused:

Yes, I'm pretty sure they have one extra on the interchange rather than the sub.

There is also something though called the 23rd man who has certain rules relating to him that I have yet to get my head around :confused:

Sounds like the twentieth rerun of the old Harry Lime movie.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back