2nds VFL Round 2 - Casey v Geelong, Casey Fields, 2:00PM Sunday 13 April

Dec 10, 2003
Newtown
AFL Club
Geelong
No definitely not. We've finally got a ruck combination good enough to worry any team; the last thing I'd want to do is change that. Not to mention that what passed for our rucks in the Prelim got beaten easily by Hawthorn's, it's time to rectify that.

If you did want to bring in Walker - and they could have last week after a better VFL performance and didn't - then Blicavs is the only option I can see. But that isn't going to happen.

Just the way you posted it made me infer that was your thinking. I like the Big2 setup , 2 real rucks , but I wish 1 was a little more mobile/agile. Anyway , this stage of the year when the result is not do or die its good to run it and find out. Is the Big2 too slow for the Hawks...well lets find out

Nov 12, 2002
AFL Club
Geelong
Just the way you posted it made me infer that was your thinking. I like the Big2 setup , 2 real rucks , but I wish 1 was a little more mobile/agile. Anyway , this stage of the year when the result is not do or die its good to run it and find out. Is the Big2 too slow for the Hawks...well lets find out

I don't think so. I'd agree it might be too slow if they never get the ball. But McIntosh is averaging 15 touches and 4 marks a game, and one major bonus this season is that he hasn't forgotten how to play the game, or importantly how to get into space and be an option. Just need Simpson to keep developing in that way as well now.

sarah.13

Premiership Player
May 17, 2006
Melb
AFL Club
Geelong
I don't think so. I'd agree it might be too slow if they never get the ball. But McIntosh is averaging 15 touches and 4 marks a game, and one major bonus this season is that he hasn't forgotten how to play the game, or importantly how to get into space and be an option. Just need Simpson to keep developing in that way as well now.

Was good to see him clunk a few last week.
If he can improve it a bit more it's quite conceivable that would get 2-3 goals out of them while up forward. Would really stretch Hawks backline but they need to stick them!

Nov 12, 2002
AFL Club
Geelong
Was good to see him clunk a few last week. If he can improve it a bit more it's quite conceivable that would get 2-3 goals out of them while up forward. Would really stretch Hawks backline but they need to stick them!

It was. He's starting to look like a very capable senior ruckman. His tapwork is pretty much there - he's now got to learn from McIntosh and get in the right spots to become more involved. Absolutely love his efforts when the ball is on the ground too.

It was. He's starting to look like a very capable senior ruckman. His tapwork is pretty much there - he's now got to learn from McIntosh and get in the right spots to become more involved. Absolutely love his efforts when the ball is on the ground too.

He is not shy about getting down low and barreling in there to chase the pill. What impresses me about it even more is that with his 112 kgs flying around, he is actually doing a remarkable job about not giving frees away based on mass contact as he does it. Its one thing to chase the pill on the ground and get involved but its another altogether to do it legally without infringing or getting reported for contact.

Still has a ways to go with it but clearly in the right direction…

Go Catters

sarah.13

Premiership Player
May 17, 2006
Melb
AFL Club
Geelong
Match highlights of Geel V Casey up on the Melb website!!!!
Of course they are Casey highlights, can't believe even Melb who don't even have their own VFL side are able to produce highlights for the supporters and we can't...
Have a real bee in my hat on this!!!:mad::mad:

Mar 6, 2014
AFL Club
Geelong
I thought we found that out in the pre-season?....It's just deliver the ball properly and the guy will have a 50/50 chance, we ask the world out of our big forwards with crappy inside 50 entries, hopefully we'll get some right come Monday.
That way they'll get some chances. (Walker's a CHF)
and they have to honour those good passes and convert. Sometimes they let themselves and everyone else down by missing the bleeding obvious!

Dec 10, 2003
Newtown
AFL Club
Geelong
Partridge..I was agreeing with you.. As I said...IS the big2 too slow..well lets play them and find out.

meto

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 3, 2008
south-east
AFL Club
Geelong
Seriously, has anyone seen Walker play CHF in the VFL?
I know I haven't.

'OK' you win, tall forward then if that's what you're driving at?....anyway, what I'm saying is his endurance tank is only second to Blitz judging from the 3k TT run pre-season, to try and classify him as slow or lacking in running talent is false rubbish.

He's probably every bit as athletic as Reiwoldt judging by that 3k and he's a goal kicking tall forward, that's why I see him as a natural CHF prospect and maybe now a good one.

Last edited:
Mar 6, 2014
AFL Club
Geelong
Simpson is definitely heading in the right direction and yes, his ground work is ferocious! I thought he was the best of the ruckmen on the weekend- 15 HO @ 40% efficiency to McIntosh's 5 HO @ ??, 10 disposals (8 contested) at 80% vs 17 (9 contested) at 59% and 12 pressure acts to 7.
His 40% hitout efficiency was the highest in the 5 games I have stats for - probably inflated by the weakness of Eagles' midfield, though. I think having him on the ground at the same time as McIntosh is a big plus. Maybe Big Mac can give him tips during the game.

meto

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 3, 2008
south-east
AFL Club
Geelong
His value to the midfield can't be underestimated, having that large frame with plenty of weight driving into the opposition is a huge benefit for the midfield in general.
He's not just a tap ruck but a big bodied extraction player. I believe he's a vital component to team success for season 2014.

Nov 12, 2002
AFL Club
Geelong
Seriously, has anyone seen Walker play CHF in the VFL?
I know I haven't.

Yep. I went on Sunday. Solid, as usual worked really hard, but it wasn't a day for tall forwards. Still makes skill errors though, even at that level, which is a bit of a concern. Very happy to see him playing there for most of the game, but he did have to relieve in the ruck a few times, which isn't good.

vinum coupe

Cancelled
10k Posts Ruby Geelong Cats - Travis Varcoe 2012 Player Sponsor
Aug 4, 2005
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Aussie cricket team
Yep. I went on Sunday. Solid, as usual worked really hard, but it wasn't a day for tall forwards. Still makes skill errors though, even at that level, which is a bit of a concern. Very happy to see him playing there for most of the game, but he did have to relieve in the ruck a few times, which isn't good.
Good.

Who played at FF?

Farmer2Goggin

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 17, 2009
Perth
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Celtics
His value to the midfield can't be underestimated, having that large frame with plenty of weight driving into the opposition is a huge benefit for the midfield in general.
He's not just a tap ruck but a big bodied extraction player. I believe he's a vital component to team success for season 2014.

I'm with you there meto
He's looking Mumfordish in his attack on the ball and the man.
A characteristic of this era has been our hardness and ability to hurt and wear down the opposition - we have had tough , hard players and some big mids ( Ling , Corey , Rooke ) who must hurt when they tackle and hit. It's become the Geelong way and not many win the next week after playing us.
That's why I laugh at douches who still label us as handbaggers - I reckon we are the benchmark for hardness now.

Nov 12, 2002
AFL Club
Geelong
I'm with you there meto
A characteristic of this era has been our hardness and ability to hurt and wear down the opposition - we have had tough , hard players and some big mids ( Ling , Corey , Rooke ) who must hurt when they tackle and hit. It's become the Geelong way and not many win the next week after playing us.
That's why I laugh at douches who still label us as handbaggers - I reckon we are the benchmark for hardness now.

Simpson? He'll be better than Mumford. Pretty sure he won't leave a club for more money either.

Twice.

Dec 10, 2003
Newtown
AFL Club
Geelong
I'm with you there meto

Very good insight. In a way I think we lack a player like a Mitch Robinson/Max Rooke that can play but there major asset is not their ball skill

meto

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 3, 2008
south-east
AFL Club
Geelong
Very good insight. In a way I think we lack a player like a Mitch Robinson/Max Rooke that can play but there major asset is not their ball skill

I agree Turbo, I've noticed whenever I might accidently say something of worth, he takes it to a higher level. Always worth a read F2G.

That's funny. I never hear that expression used about Geelong Football Club these days. It was used frequently in my past youth. The way Geelong often played back then I did not think that it was an entirely unfair criticism.

Back