VFL VFL Round 2: Sandringham vs Box Hill

Remove this Banner Ad

The ability to step players is so under rated IMO.

Acres has it, Dunstan has it, Lenny has it, Harvey, Watson, Black, Ablett, Jarman, McLeod, etc.

Not all players have it. One of those inate things I think. You can get away without having it if you've got speed and power, but makes it so much easier just to wrong foot the opponent and stroll past him.

Where Acres steps through 3 players and goes straight back into our corridor with a handball, it changes the direction of the attack and opens up the Box Hill's defence.

Anyway, super excited about Acres. Watch him step players just about every time he gets the ball. Same w Dunstan.

Wow, that's surprising, I didn't see the Box Hill match but I was at the Frankston game and he was good but missed a few targets that day. Where'd you pull the stat from?

Vs Frankston he had 2 ineffective kicks, it's the one area that he's dramatically improved recently. His kicking and finding target is now one of his strengths.

crickey. i have never been so wrong about a draftee before. i was against drafting acres but kick me sideways he can play

i can see the comparisons to fyfe. he just might best of the lot if he can get the body right

his work through traffic is amazing. just seems to read it so well and find space

crickey. i have never been so wrong about a draftee before. i was against drafting acres but kick me sideways he can play

i can see the comparisons to fyfe. he just might best of the lot if he can get the body right

his work through traffic is amazing. just seems to read it so well and find space

Knightmare had him at 4 in the power rankings. Billings at 7 and Dunstan around 14. Perhaps Elshaugh and bains jump on big footy for draft tips?
http://www.bigfooty.com/forum/threads/knightmares-2013-phantom-draft.983436/

what if knightmare is one of our recruiters....
Knightmare is very good. Really enjoy reading his stuff. Good to read it back later. He doesn't get too many wrong. Perhaps knowledge of interstaters isn't quite there, but that's understandable.

And Acres looks very good indeed. Time and space. Hope he develops a strong body.

Knightmare had him at 4 in the power rankings. Billings at 7 and Dunstan around 14. Perhaps Elshaugh and bains jump on big footy for draft tips?

Wasn't there a point at last years draft, just after Dunstans name was read out, it had Trout (?) turn around and say something to the table behind him, before reading out Acres name?

Probably was saying to everyone 'can't believe this, you ******* beauty'!

#winning :cool:

I must admit blake's highlights looks so much more impressive than billings...he has more poise and composure through traffic...i just hope he doesnt get homesick and has a great career at saints...

Sent from my GT-I9300T using Tapatalk

He also had Eli at 34

#34 Brisbane (via Port Adelaide) – Eli Templeton (TAS – Util)
Height: 182cm, Weight: 67kg, DOB: 19/08/1995
Recruited from: Burnie Dockers
Style: James Kelly
Player comparison:
Range: 25-late
Profile: Templeton is a high production, high motor midfielder with the versatility to also play forward or back. Has a very light body but despite this has a very advanced game and has dominated throughout his junior footy with his form in the u16s particularly dominant but then has also played plenty of senior footy in Tasmania showing he can mix it with the bigger bodies. Templeton is a very clean user of the footy and uses it well by hand and foot. A real accumulator and has the ability to do some damage with a penetrating kick on him as well as his ability to hit the scoreboard. Templeton can win some of his own ball but given his light frame likely finds a role as an outside player.

A heap had Eli top 30 with him being linked to Essendon at pick 26. Still can't believe we got him in the RD.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What about 1:37, Matrix like.

Vs Frankston he had 2 ineffective kicks, it's the one area that he's dramatically improved recently. His kicking and finding target is now one of his strengths.

I honestly can't comment as I've barely seen the kid play. But was it clipboardbinocs (who rated him the no.1 talent from WA) said he barely ever wasted a possession. Freakish accuracy.

No Amro2Roo - the comment from Thunda about disposal in the Frankston game, was about Cam Shenton.

Can we use clever makeup to make Cockie look like a listed StKilda player.

As opposed to doing what we should have and using a 2nd rookie pick on making Cockie look a listed St Kilda player?!

As much as all this chat about recent Saints signings is grand, I'm most intrigued by Milera. In 2013 he was finding it impossible to get the ball. After a proposed posiiton change and working in the offseason with the defenders, he looked nearly out on his ear. Now he's getting 27 in the VFL. Is he looking like he's got enough to run through the middle? Seems too lightweight to me.

At one stage I compared Knightmare ( and Chris 25 and some others ) choices to the Saints for the Lyon era. We would have been much better off if that was the method.
Now I think they have a pretty good setup.

I'm not sure if knightmare is a recruiter but I assume he isn't but love looking every year and seems to have a very good knowledge. Sometimes think AFL recruiters get too fixed on a formula and over look obvious plusses. I remember watching a young Adam Goodes and he was about the most outstanding junior footy player I have seen. He lasted until late in the draft despite being so obviously ridiculously talented. I thought he'd be the number one pick.
No Amro2Roo - the comment from Thunda about disposal in the Frankston game, was about Cam Shenton.

As opposed to doing what we should have and using a 2nd rookie pick on making Cockie look a listed St Kilda player?!

As much as all this chat about recent Saints signings is grand, I'm most intrigued by Milera. In 2013 he was finding it impossible to get the ball. After a proposed posiiton change and working in the offseason with the defenders, he looked nearly out on his ear. Now he's getting 27 in the VFL. Is he looking like he's got enough to run through the middle? Seems too lightweight to me.

I saw Milera at the preseason training and he was noticeably more solid in his shoulders and biceps. Chatting to him I couldn't help notice how shy and nervous he seemed. He was a really sweet guy but you wanted to give him a hug and tell him it's all okay. He is truly a guy who needs his tires pumped up. I told him he was going really well in 2012 and he should hurry up and get back to the seniors and he seemed genuinely chuffed anyone knew who he was.

Anyway he looks more confident in his body this year from the TV footage and the highlights of the last round. He's going in for the ball and bumping without second guessing. I think he could move in there as he was often used further from goal and got right back in defence when the ball leaves the forward line like Saunders has been playing this year.

Reckon he could come good in the forward line as a medium tall, with his reach up high and his pick up down low. Holy crap, if I was Siposs, I'd be flipping nervous about what this boy can do.

writings on the wall, with markworth ahead of him and now it looks like acres will fly by as well

he might be trade bait now

Markworth playing In the development league while Siposs seniors might say Dan isn't ahead of him yet.

i wouldnt read too much into that, by all accounts markworth has had the better pre-season and start to the VFL. had one off week.

i'd say theres more upside to markworth, when fit.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back