2nds VFL Round 3 - Geelong v Box Hill, Simonds Stadium, 6:00PM Saturday 19 April

Remove this Banner Ad

Bews gets a mention - first time I've heard his name since the first q. Probably a function of who the callers are, rather than his lack of effort.
Another goal to the Hawks. They're all getting a goal, by the sounds.

Hit outs 40-10
Clearances 21-6?
Got killed in the marks inside 50 as well. Cats did very well, considering the Hawks ruck dominance
But we escaped a bullet via their crap kicking in the first half in particular.
Now it's time for me to feed the gremlins. 'Later guys! Will try and fix up the goalkickers if nobody else posts them.

thanks to those who provided running commentary tonight - unfortunately couldn't make the game, so it was great to be able to check in over the past few hours and read what was happening.

17 20 122
14 11 95

Probably closer than the score listed but clearly its hard around the ground.

4 to Walker and 3 to Mitch Brown. Cant ask for much more there really. Clearly missing having anyone in the 23 over 196 cms when you come up against 2 x AFL listed rucks.. and that 196 bloke is the guy you need at FF. 40 hit outs to 10 was the final total. Enough said really.
Lang and JK were involved a lot and amongst our best. Would not be surprised to hear Schredder get votes again…

Go Catters

Disappointing last quarter, hard to make comments on players listening to a radio broardcast, we seemed a little undermanned in the talls.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

345 am. Im out…..

Had my loss for the weekend now. Bring on Monday. Not too mad and happy with the endeavor. Hawks radio jerking off about how good their win was….

Time to go…

Lots to like about the Bankers for the year….

REally pleased to hear Fort getting praise for his endeavor all day long. Bloke was smashed all day but never stopped having a crack.

Go Catters

17 20 122
14 11 95

Probably closer than the score listed but clearly its hard around the ground.

4 to Walker and 3 to Mitch Brown. Cant ask for much more there really. Clearly missing having anyone in the 23 over 196 cms when you come up against 2 x AFL listed rucks.. and that 196 bloke is the guy you need at FF. 40 hit outs to 10 was the final total. Enough said really.

Absolutely. If you were asked before the game would you take 7 goals from the pair of them you'd take it in a heartbeat. That at least is one positive - Walker continues his excellent VFL form, and it sounds like Brown is over his ankle properly too.

Motlop played?

And how did he go?

Good to see Kolodjashnij among the best again.

Doesn't necessarily give a true picture but 12 more scoring shots is an indication the Hawks deserved the win.
Geelong Cats 3.1 8.5 11.7 14.11 (95)
Box Hill Hawks 5.8 6.12 9.18 17.20 (122)

GOALS:
Geelong Cats: Walker 4 Brown 3 Bews Lynch Motlop Schroder Luxford Hollmer Hartman
Box Hill Hawks: Grimley 4 Kennedy 2 Sicily 2 O'Brien Murphy Lock Ceglar Lawlor Walker Wood Andrews Ross

BEST:
Geelong Cats: Hamling Walker Schroder Hartman Kolodjashnij Bath
Box Hill Hawks: Wood Ceglar Hartung Iles Webster Mirra

Great! Thanks!

Saw the game live (all but last 10mins) . Doesn't often happen but most enjoyable.

Anyway here is my view.

Not having a ruck man killed them. Two periods of play with 10 unanswered goals (from centre clearances pretty much).

Hamling is ready. I don't know if he started but from the second quarter through to the end of the third quarter he was impressive. Played down back. He has a good game sense to add to his athletic abilities. Reads the play well and takes a good grab.

Brown. Well I don't often say this but I just don't see him being a part of our push this year or in the future. No presence, handling errors and what I thought would be his strength - finding space and doing a mini Reiwoldt - did not happen. He is a 196cm small forward. I know he got three goals but none were the result of a big forwards work. A pity because he works hard.

Walker. Very slow start but as in last year's GF the ball was at the other end for the first quarter. In the second and third and last he was important. Not classy but without him I don't think we would have got close. In the middle of the first he took a quick kick in. His socks were up but the ball hit his leg at the the top of his sock and scrambled 15m. A shocker. Luckily the hawker missed the opportunity. Then in the second Walker proceeds to slot an exquisite (yes that's the word) snap off his left from wide out and in traffic, then a snap on his right - more regulation this one but still under pressure. Following up in the third he lines up a 45m/30 degree from centre set shot. It was never going to miss - straight through. He has a chance and will play more AFL games this year.

Hartmann. Surprised me. Played like an old fashioned centre man. Very good on the burst at least 4 or 5 times. Used the fend off very effectively also. Just failed to get the hands away effectively after crashing through a few times. He shows much more promise than I have been led to believe he has.

Shroder. Works very hard. All his work is done inside - he just doesn't seem to be able to get any ball out in the open. GHS is not quicker but he reads tha game better and adds a goal and 5 "in the clear" possessions to his inside work. Shroder may be in trouble at years end.

Stringer was Ok at times. His best work though was probably done in the melee. Just falls short on that game.

Bews - hardly noticeable except for one nice goal in the second. Hard to tell whether he kept a good player quiet or not.

Jensen - gets where the ball is but reactions still a little slow. Big lad. Just needs time.

Kola - with so many blonde lookalikes it is hard to get a line on this kid. Didn't make any mistakes but didn't stand out either. Good size. The flood of ball at the start of first and last quarters would have fazed Scarlett and Harley.

Lang - very aware. Good lateral movement. Would probably do OK in a few AFL games in a more "organised" sort of game. Needs a dozen games in the twos first.

Toohey. Looked a bit hesitant early. Lacking confidence. Doesn't look hardened - no definition to his body. A big unit though. His kicking short was well weighted but not as good long as it looked on his clips. Very early.

Awesome writeup! Really glad to read about Lang.

Thanks so much for the first hand report on individuals, catswhiskers :) Your summary ties in with what we think we heard. It was hard to tell, by the lack of a mention, if a player wasn't doing anything or if the commentators just didn't know who he was. Sounds like those players weren't doing a lot.
Glad to hear you rated Walker- he always seems to work hard. Did he get a hit out in the ruck late in the game?
I hope Stringer got a few good whacks in at the bottom of the pack. ;)
Good news re Hamling. Hope he gets a good run sometime soon, so we can see where he's at.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back