VFL VFL Round 3: Sandringham vs North Ballarat

Remove this Banner Ad

Weller just kicked his second and will get 30plus possessions... At the moment I would have him in the side over Curren, Newnes, Templeton and even Ray and a fit Armitage in terms of output.

Would be a massive upgrade on Curren

Curren has been tagging this year and still getting a bit of the footy, I would think they are competing for the same spot though.

Weller has been tagging as well - was asked to shut down Ben Ross last week and was very effective

VFL: Zebras remain unbeaten
Tom Morris April 21, 2014 9:07 AM

But it was Weller's day. And while he nudged the magical 40-possession barrier, he was far from a free-wheeling ball-winner with attack his only method. Rather, the 22-year-old was given the task of limiting Liam Anthony's influence and did so exceptionally well, holding the usually prolific midfielder to just four touches at half-time and 14 for the game.

Sandringham: 2.3 10.6 11.9 18.9 (117)
North Ballarat: 3.1 4.2 8.8 12.10 (82)

Goals:
T. Dennis-Lane 4, M. Weller 3, S. Dunell 2, T. Milera 2, A. Siposs 2, Y. Zijai 2, D. Markworth 2, B. Longer.

Best:
M. Weller, C. Shenton, T.Dennis-Lane, A. Cockie, Y. Zijai, S. Fisher, S.Dunell

I don't want to diminish Curren's performance yesterday against Essendon, or his previous performances for our club, but Tommy Curren is another of those players that will be limited in his career by his ability (or lack thereof) to hit a target. He slots nicely into the team as the dedicated tagger and he performs that role superbly, but I believe he has limited scope for improvement.

Maverick Weller has (I believe) far greater scope for improvement. He can perform the same role as Curren but he is likely to provide a more significant contribution the other way - his potential for a significant contribution forward is higher.

If we can have both in the team we may be able to shut down two opposition playmakers but looking long term I am eager for Mav Weller to get his chance and I see the logical omission being Curren.

VFL: Zebras remain unbeaten
Tom Morris April 21, 2014 9:07 AM

But it was Weller's day. And while he nudged the magical 40-possession barrier, he was far from a free-wheeling ball-winner with attack his only method. Rather, the 22-year-old was given the task of limiting Liam Anthony's influence and did so exceptionally well, holding the usually prolific midfielder to just four touches at half-time and 14 for the game.

Sandringham: 2.3 10.6 11.9 18.9 (117)
North Ballarat: 3.1 4.2 8.8 12.10 (82)

Goals:
T. Dennis-Lane 4, M. Weller 3, S. Dunell 2, T. Milera 2, A. Siposs 2, Y. Zijai 2, D. Markworth 2, B. Longer.

Best:
M. Weller, C. Shenton, T.Dennis-Lane, A. Cockie, Y. Zijai, S. Fisher, S.Dunell

I don't want to diminish Curren's performance yesterday against Essendon, or his previous performances for our club, but Tommy Curren is another of those players that will be limited in his career by his ability (or lack thereof) to hit a target. He slots nicely into the team as the dedicated tagger and he performs that role superbly, but I believe he has limited scope for improvement.

Maverick Weller has (I believe) far greater scope for improvement. He can perform the same role as Curren but he is likely to provide a more significant contribution the other way - his potential for a significant contribution forward is higher.

If we can have both in the team we may be able to shut down two opposition playmakers but looking long term I am eager for Mav Weller to get his chance and I see the logical omission being Curren.

That re Liam Anthony is incorrect, he had 24 disposals for the day.

That re Liam Anthony is incorrect, he had 24 disposals for the day.
If you are going to contradict the stats from a Saints.com.au release, then surely you should quote where your information comes from.
You were not at the ground.
I understand that a lot of these stats are incomplete due to limitations on getting them to the coaching staff - so maybe Anthony could have topped up with junk time stats - but that doesn't change the great performance of Weller to essentially make the decisive performances when they really counted

If you are going to contradict the stats from a Saints.com.au release, then surely you should quote where your information comes from.
You were not at the ground.

I dont need to be at the ground to get the stats cos I get sent them all. How else do you think I am able to post them all all weekend? I also have the champion data stats in front of me...

Also Tom Morris wasnt at the ground either, so should we take his word on it just cos its on the saints website?

Or you can look on North website -

Liam Anthony (24 disposals, 7 marks, 5 tackles)

2. One of the prime midfielders in the VFL, Liam Anthony was sent a hard tag in the form of Saint Maverick Weller. After a seven-possession first half, Anthony burst into action.

“To his credit he really turned things around after a slow start. He was the architect of the Roosters’ revival in the third quarter. They cut the margin to 19 points and LA was involved in a lot of the good things the side did.

“He had 17 possessions in the second half to end with 24 for the game and he also laid five tackles as well which was pleasing.” – Ben Dyer

http://www.nmfc.com.au/news/2014-04-19/roosters-report-card-rd-3

Also Tom Morris wasn't at the ground either, so should we take his word on it just cos its on the saints website?
I'm not sure whether he was or wasn't at the ground - he wrote the club release on the match - do you not think he has stats provided too? My point was to reference your stats - don't just state numbers and expect us to believe them.

I'm not sure whether he was or wasn't at the ground - he wrote the club release on the match - do you not think he has stats provided too? My point was to reference your stats - don't just state numbers and expect us to believe them.

No idea if he does or not, they usually just take them from our article. So you want me to reference every time i post the stats? I would have thought its pretty obvious that I get stats straight from the club cos ive been posting them for couple years now. Upto you guys if you believe me or not I guess.

I am trying to help the club by promoting the website and highlighting articles provided by the club to support my point of view.
I know that you have a vested interest in http://www.truezebras.com and I have never restricted you in that
I link to http://www.saints.com.au articles and will continue to do so.
If you wish to contradict something they say then simply state where you are getting it from.
In most other instances I don't expect you to quote references unless common sense tells you it is required

I am trying to help the club by promoting the website and highlighting articles provided by the club to support my point of view.
I know that you have a vested interest in http://www.truezebras.com and I have never restricted you in that
I link to http://www.saints.com.au articles and will continue to do so.
If you wish to contradict something they say then simply state where you are getting it from.
In most other instances I don't expect you to quote references unless common sense tells you it is required

Never said you shouldn't and wasnt pushing my website at all. Was just pointing out that they had an error in one stat. Despite that your point of view still stands, he smashed Liam Anthony.

Saints In VFL article is now up!

Arryn Siposs
12 disposals, 3 marks, 2 goals
Player Rating: 8/10

A solid game for the half forward. He took big marks and kicked two big goals from 50 metres out at important stages of the game. He was terrific with his forward pressure and laid four tackles.

“He is starting to build each week. He is sneaking up on opposition players and he is just accumulating the ball and is not far away from a breakout game,” said Sandringham Assistant Coach Brendan Allen.

Read full article - http://www.truezebras.com/saints-in-vfl-round-3/

well he should soon enough. By all accounts he reads the play well for a fwd. we really don't have a player like him at the moment. Lee / Roo / Stanley and Dunnell would work for me.
To date Dunnell has struggled to bridge the gap between VFL & AFL, has come into the team a few times with outstanding VFL form only to look out of sorts with the extra speed (mental & physical) required at AFL level. Always happy to be proven wrong on any Saints player but I really can't see him making it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

To date Dunnell has struggled to bridge the gap between VFL & AFL, has come into the team a few times with outstanding VFL form only to look out of sorts with the extra speed (mental & physical) required at AFL level. Always happy to be proven wrong on any Saints player but I really can't see him making it.

sounds like Sippa is ahead at this stage.

sounds like Sippa is ahead at this stage.
I think Richo has realised we need excellent kicking into the forward fifty - enough of this "just over his head", "three metres in front", "at his knees", "long bomb", "straight to an opposition defender" garbage. We need to get pinpoint passes into our forwards.

Siposs gives us the advantage of being able to kick a few when he's in the 50, being able to kick a few more when he's at 60, and able to pinpoint a pass to a forward when he's at 70-80.

Hey guys, not sure if the right thread, but just wondering how Dan Markworth is coming on, and what kind of role you see him playing in the team? Is he more of a tall half forward, link up type, or tall in the guts type? Can you see him playing on the wing (I hear he's pretty quick) or is he more a true midfielder? Also, who do you see him competing for spots with, both in our current 22 and those trying to break in. Love all your work keeping people like me who can't make every game (unfortunately I work in a bar) informed and enthused.

Hey guys, not sure if the right thread, but just wondering how Dan Markworth is coming on, and what kind of role you see him playing in the team? Is he more of a tall half forward, link up type, or tall in the guts type? Can you see him playing on the wing (I hear he's pretty quick) or is he more a true midfielder? Also, who do you see him competing for spots with, both in our current 22 and those trying to break in. Love all your work keeping people like me who can't make every game (unfortunately I work in a bar) informed and enthused.
He's doing ok so far. Coming back from a knee so it will take some time but I think he's being given too much credit for what he's actually done. Everyone keeps mentioning how well he's going despite only averaging mid teens in disposals and being dropped to the Dev squad a couple of weeks ago. He's an exciting young player but needs to do more which I'm sure he will eventually but for now there'd be a few in front of him.

I don't think we know his best position yet but I'd say he's a HF/winger right now.

I think Richo has realised we need excellent kicking into the forward fifty - enough of this "just over his head", "three metres in front", "at his knees", "long bomb", "straight to an opposition defender" garbage. We need to get pinpoint passes into our forwards.

Siposs gives us the advantage of being able to kick a few when he's in the 50, being able to kick a few more when he's at 60, and able to pinpoint a pass to a forward when he's at 70-80.

I agree. The quicker we bring on new talent to replace existing players who can't kick... the quicker we get a shot at a flag.

im at TBBO now and the lines have been marked on the ground. is round 4 here or is it round 5? I think they are training here tonight

im at TBBO now and the lines have been marked on the ground. is round 4 here or is it round 5? I think they are training here tonight

Lines went down last Friday Treacle..First home game is against Essendon on the 4th of May. Training started there last week

cheers z-man yeah I reckon the last time I was down there was probably the morning before they did it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back