VFL VFL R6 - Sandringham v Box Hill (TBBO)

Remove this Banner Ad

I'd like to see Tommy Simpkin get himself fit enough to play mid field. He is hard at it and the man. Could be a revelation because of his hardness but he would have to be much fitter than he is now.

Good to see Sam Crocker get amongst the touches there.

Struggled to get a touch back when he was on our list.

Shame he couldn't. Had a nice left leg!

Sorry for delay. As mentioned above, I only caught 35-40% of the game and much of that was the Zebras getting pantsed. So my comments might be unreflective of the broader game.

It felt similar to our typical viewing of the Seniors. Plenty of ball winners, lots of endeavour, but well beaten in game flow and skills. They are well skilled and link very well. As Squizzy mentioned - and I'm not sure who had the Sicily job - it wouldn't have mattered who had the job. Most of his marks were finding space through easy ball movement.

McCartin: I enjoyed a couple of overhead marks that he took. Very clean under some pressure. He just needs to build the tank. He looks extremely fatigued and simply affects his capacity to get where he wants to be. Kicked a lovely set shot goal from near the boundary.

Ross: quite busy for his first game back for a while and the second quarter was a team wipe out. He finds time in close and is creative. He should be allowed some time to build confidence again.

Ray: was his usual steady self without being dominant.

Lee: used the ball superbly at times and is a steadying influence in defence. Obvious replacement for Chips. I like the way he gets around to the team at 3QT to give a little pat on the back for everyone.

White: hit the post from a very tough angle, but quiet while I was watching.

Minch: did some nice work at times, but wasn't very prominent.

Murdoch: perhaps I missed his touches - and I wasn't there for 7 in the first - but hardly noticed he was there.

Saunders: was extremely zippy and provided great run out of defence. His kicking suffers the faster he runs.

Simpkin: he was steady in defence and saved the day a couple of times. I'm still not sure why he is still on the list if he's not good enough for a regular game for 2-3 years. Either he plays or he makes way for another pick.

Wright: shut down Anderson, but no offensive influence. Still, this might be his way to find a role at senior level (in defence or in the middle).

Goddard: some nice crunching spoils and good usage, but not prominent.

Curren: quiet for him at this level.

Saad: extremely quiet.

Ross, Lee and Paddy (elements) were the encouraging ones for me. And the ones with futures that you would want to see going well.

Last edited:
Hopefully Samsung, Apple and all other phone companies fix their predictive text to allow us to type Markworth without it changing to Marksworth in the future.

It's easier to turn autocorrect off. I can type Markworth easily because of this.

Seems like I put the commentators curse on Murdoch, saying he must have been going well after the first quarter. What I want to know is how can you have 7 possessions in the first quarter and then only manage 4 for the rest of the game? It's frustrating because he has all of the attributes to be a good AFL level player, but he just can't find enough of the ball.

http://www.saints.com.au/news/2015-05-27/huddos-vfl-review-round-6
Simpkin - attack on the ball was excellent … happy with his efforts.
Saad - didn’t have much of an influence.
Goddard – OK … caught off his man occasionally (if there was a turnover).
Minchington - two score assists ... need him to find a way to get into the game when he’s forward.
Curren - six kicks and 11 handballs ... ideally we would like that to be the other way around.
Murdoch - showed glimpses.
Lee - couple of times he got caught in the wrong position... but on the whole his game was excellent.
McCartin - worked hard … when he doesn’t mark it, he always brings it to ground.
Saunders - 23 possessions ... kick to handball ratio was the wrong way around.
Ross - really imposed himself.
Wright - job on Jed Anderson ... kept him relatively quiet.
Holmes - follow up was good and work-rate around the ground also excellent.
White – quiet ... did a couple of good things.
Ray - didn’t have the impact that he did the week before but still had an influence.
Payne (dev) - solid match.
Pierce (dev) - won the bulk of the ruck work … took some strong marks.

Minchington - two score assists ... need him to find a way to get into the game when he’s forward.
Curren - six kicks and 11 handballs ... ideally we would like that to be the other way around.
Lee - couple of times he got caught in the wrong position... but on the whole his game was excellent.
McCartin - worked hard … when he doesn’t mark it, he always brings it to ground.
Ray - didn’t have the impact that he did the week before but still had an influence.
I'm rather glad he doesn't pump up the tires after a loss.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You missed the best part of Saunders review:

People should always read the full article if they get a chance (I was just trying to provide some color). The kicking comment is more a general remark, rather than the Box Hill game. Saundo only had 7 kicks this match.

People should always read the full article if they get a chance (I was just trying to provide some color). The kicking comment is more a general remark, rather than the Box Hill game. Saundo only had 7 kicks this match.
Awful, awful kick to handball ratio. Is he still looking for the 1-2?

Where are they playing Payne ? Forward or Back

Awful, awful kick to handball ratio. Is he still looking for the 1-2?

The whole team's ratio was bad (Zebs 192k & 158hb versus BH 223k & 128hb). Too much handballing to guys with their backs to our goals (or standing still). CJ went nuts with that at times. Yes, Saundo often does go the 1-2 option - but not in a Brent Harvey way.

Where are they playing Payne ? Forward or Back

Didn't watch the development game sorry. Huddo's report indicates he moves around. Played defence on Sam Dunell when we played Williamstown.

I was more pointing out that the coaches comments seem to be the total opposite of what most people on here think.

I was more pointing out that the coaches comments seem to be the total opposite of what most people on here think.

Maybe somewhere in between?

Decision making and kicking skill can blur. That also gets reflected in the handball vs kick issue for Saunders. It gets amplified at AFL level with less time and better tackle pressure, although he has played a completely different role in the AFL which doesn't help.

Hopefully Samsung, Apple and all other phone companies fix their predictive text to allow us to type Markworth without it changing to Marksworth in the future.

My computer thinks it should be Warkworth.

Great point Rahul. I wonder though if in their strive to be more professional, they would want the coverage to be of good slick quality and therefore it's a drain on resource.
Even minority amateur sports I've been involved with recently will film their games, and I'd think the Saints coaches film the games in order to go through it with the players, and usually it is pre-clipped into phases of play for that purpose. So I don't see how it would kill them to pull together some clips for the game.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back