VFL, SANFL, WAFL etc. - Current Oval Developments

Remove this Banner Ad

This thread is basically about any developments in any state level league.

Ill just quickly start off by saying the Sandringham Zebras (VFL affiliates with St Kilda) are getting their ground completely redeveloped. The surface is being replaced and a new sprinkler and drainage system is being installed.

Work is expected to begin late September/early October 2013.

http://www.sandringhamfc.com.au/news.aspx?id=126

Pj.Rj.Hj

Club Legend
Sep 29, 2005
Mount Pleasant, Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
East Fremantle
Claremont Oval (home of the Tigers) Redevelopment is about to get under way. New stand and club facilities. Embankments replaced by apartments and small business.
claremontnew9xi.jpg

427669-claremont-redevelopment.jpg

Claremont3.jpg

Claremont1.jpg

Claremont2.jpg

East Fremantle intend on doing a similar thing for East Freo Oval, if their dickhead council plays silly buggers then the Sharks will probably look at moving back to Fremantle Oval after 60+ years.

fabulousphil

Cancelled
10k Posts
Nov 29, 2001
perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
freo
Claremont Oval (home of the Tigers) Redevelopment is about to get under way. New stand and club facilities. Embankments replaced by apartments and small business.
claremontnew9xi.jpg

Claremont3.jpg

Claremont1.jpg

Claremont2.jpg

East Fremantle intend on doing a similar thing for East Freo Oval, if their dickhead council plays silly buggers then the Sharks will probably look at moving back to Fremantle Oval after 60+ years.

Drove past Claremont oval about a week ago, and boy does it need upgrading, hopefully a win win for everyone involved.

Silent Alarm

sack Lyon
10k Posts
Jul 9, 2010
AFL Club
Fremantle

Considering the councils in Freo, it won't happen and they'll move to Fremantle Oval. And even with two WAFL clubs there, they won't do any upgrading. The city of Fremantle will rue their conservatism for a long, long time.

Beetlebum

Premiership Player
Jul 13, 2011
Formerly Row UU Block 113.
AFL Club
Fremantle
It would be disappointing to see nothing done at Freo Oval, especially if Easts do move there in the future. It has the potential to be a terrific facility much like Leederville. It could be used (assuming the Dockers do move to Cockburn) as a southern suburbs "football hub" basing any offices for the junior, amateur leagues, etc down there.

Jan 26, 2006
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
East Fremantle
Considering the councils in Freo, it won't happen and they'll move to Fremantle Oval. And even with two WAFL clubs there, they won't do any upgrading. The city of Fremantle will rue their conservatism for a long, long time.

East Fremantle is not part of the city of Fremantle.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Oct 10, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Port Melbourne (VFL)
Well first up, the new electronic scoreboard has gone up at North Port Oval...

946694_258312390979079_1805068302_n.jpg

The 'Burra Bar' (Social Rooms) has been shrunk in size and refurbished, but that will be taken over by the Cricket Club at the end of the season.

Construction has been delayed on the new Pavilion next to the scoreboard, but below are the plans...

2140879_2_O.jpg

Well first up, the new electronic scoreboard has gone up at North Port Oval...

946694_258312390979079_1805068302_n.jpg

The 'Burra Bar' (Social Rooms) has been shrunk in size and refurbished, but that will be taken over by the Cricket Club at the end of the season.

Construction has been delayed on the new Pavilion next to the scoreboard, but below are the plans...

2140879_2_O.jpg
It reminds me of Melbourne Grammars Flack Park sports pavilion in Port Melbourne.

claremontnew9xi.jpg

Claremont3.jpg

Claremont1.jpg

Claremont2.jpg

Having seen it last week, I'm actually staggered why they just don't play across the road at the Showgrounds? Seems to me that facility is under utilised. Keep the oval for training and social facilities but play games at a ground that looks like an elite 2nd tier venue (if such a thing exists).

Nov 8, 2000
South of the river
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Peel Thunder
Having seen it last week, I'm actually staggered why they just don't play across the road at the Showgrounds? Seems to me that facility is under utilised. Keep the oval for training and social facilities but play games at a ground that looks like an elite 2nd tier venue (if such a thing exists).

It's funny, about 7 or 8 years ago they played a home game at the Showgrounds after it was redeveloped and they had their biggest home crowd for about 10 years (which I doubt has been surpassed given Claremont draw about the same crowds as the local castration doctor). I understood at the time they were going to move permanently there, the but nothing ever happened. No idea why, you'd think it would be a smart move given the show is on in early October and would never clash.

DOes anyone in SA have the final plans for Norwood Oval?
I know I for one basically said '**** off with plans a, b, c, and y, only allow plan d and z' Still can't believe that. Most of their plans were to force traffic to and block up a 1 lane each way street, while they had 1 plan for each of the 2 sections (4 for clubrooms, 2 for carpark) that was off a 2 lane each way, major road.

Mar 12, 2006
Earth
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Denver Broncos, PHX Suns, Mariners
Vic Park has been turned into a fantastic ground for VFL football, would be ideal to host some VFL finals but due to the lack of fencing I doubt it would. Great mix of grandstand seating, grass hill, concrete stepped standing areas and landscapped outer wing with picnic tables, chairs and bbq's.

Silent Alarm

sack Lyon
10k Posts
Jul 9, 2010
AFL Club
Fremantle
Vic Park has been turned into a fantastic ground for VFL football, would be ideal to host some VFL finals but due to the lack of fencing I doubt it would. Great mix of grandstand seating, grass hill, concrete stepped standing areas and landscapped outer wing with picnic tables, chairs and bbq's.

Well apparently it was earmarked for it. Because it's a public space, though, the council only allow a two-hour leeway before bounce down and after the siren. Every VFL final has to be ticketed, thus closed off, and the cost and time of putting up and removing fencing breaks that two hour period.

Back