2nds VFL v Essendon @ Windy Hill - Sat 26th April @ 1 pm.

Remove this Banner Ad

Nah, we have a double team bye, then after 2 more games the VFL side has another bye for the state game, then another bye later in the year. The VFL is a sensationally well run competition.:rolleyes:

Have you thought about what would happen if they didn't have these byes.

Have you thought about what would happen if they didn't have these byes.
Each team could play each other more times?o_O:drunk:

For example we don't get to go to play Footscray at their home ground this year, which is just a disappointment.

Each team could play each other more times?o_O:drunk:

For example we don't get to go to play Footscray at their home ground this year, which is just a disappointment.

The byes are to accommodate the VFL teams playing in the Foxtel Cup.

Personally, I think it sucks that we have to have our first 'official' bye just two weeks before the whole competition takes a week off for state rep footy, but I guess it's better than the ridiculous 4 byes each team had to have a couple of years ago...

The byes are to accommodate the VFL teams playing in the Foxtel Cup.

Personally, I think it sucks that we have to have our first 'official' bye just two weeks before the whole competition takes a week off for state rep footy, but I guess it's better than the ridiculous 4 byes each team had to have a couple of years ago...

Why do they have a week off for state footy they don't in the NRL

Why do they have a week off for state footy they don't in the NRL

To the best of my knowledge it's because the state side is drawn exclusively from VFL listed players. Therefore it'd be a bit rough to schedule a Port Melbourne or Williamstown v Collingwood or Geelong.

Ultimately I think with good scheduling they could get around they just choose not to.

To the best of my knowledge it's because the state side is drawn exclusively from VFL listed players. Therefore it'd be a bit rough to schedule a Port Melbourne or Williamstown v Collingwood or Geelong.

Ultimately I think with good scheduling they could get around they just choose not to.
AFL rookies are allowed to play. But it makes it easy, have Collingwood v Richmond, Bulldogs v Geelong, Essendon v Northern Blues, Casey v Werribee, Sandringham v Box Hill, North Ballarat v Bendigo, Coburg v Frankston and Port v Williamstown

AFL rookies are allowed to play. But it makes it easy, have Collingwood v Richmond, Bulldogs v Geelong, Essendon v Northern Blues, Casey v Werribee, Sandringham v Box Hill, North Ballarat v Bendigo, Coburg v Frankston and Port v Williamstown

No, they're not anymore. That was changed a couple of years ago.

Makes no difference they can fixture it so 2nds play each other and so do stand alones

Hence the bolded part of my initial comment. I was just attempting to answer your question anyway.

At the end of the day all clubs have to deal with it so we aren't being hampered anymore than our competitors. It's when one team is disadvantaged at the expense of others that questions must be asked.

VFL season is shorter they don't need 4 byes

If you want your fringe players available, you need them playing VFL right to the end of the season. If it wasn't for the byes, how would you keep your fringe players as a viable option right to the end of the season.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If you want your fringe players available, you need them playing VFL right to the end of the season. If it wasn't for the byes, how would you keep your fringe players as a viable option right to the end of the season.
Yeah it is a 16 team competition they can have the same length season as the AFL

Yeah it is a 16 team competition they can have the same length season as the AFL

Just checked the our VFL fixture and you're right. We actually play a couple of teams twice, so why not more. Not sure why so many byes are necessary.

Last edited:
Hoping to catch up with a few of you guys at this game.

I'll be the guy with Collingwood gear on. hehe. I'll have a 'rocket Eade' like white cap signed by Swanny & Maxy. Blue and grey jacket.

Broomhead and Seedsman back, Marley named on an extended interchange;

Bl-ey9ECEAA-fv2.jpg

Broomhead and Seedsman back, Marley named on an extended interchange;

Great news these two are back. Finally, FINALLY, our injuries are going down, and guys are coming in and pressing for places. It feels like I've been waiting forever to see Broomy debut, and hopefully it wont be long now (although I've no idea who he would push out of the senior team).

Remove this Banner Ad

Back