Victoria Bushrangers season 2014/15 thread

Remove this Banner Ad

his record looks impressive, but when you consistantly just pack the side of hasbeans & never wash beans journey men playing against states trying to develop kids, its not so!
good bye and it couldn't of happened sooner to Shipperd

Ok so to play devils advocate are you actually capable of naming these 'has beens' and journeymen or are you just regurgitating?

Christian is pretty unpopular, but my impression is that he's had a good a shield season as he ever has.

Stoinis copped a lot of flak, but giving him a contract has turned out to be completely justified with a very impressive year.

Boland is not fashionable, but every state side has a bowler (or multiple bowlers in the case of South Australia) who's there to perform the same kind of role as him.

Hussey and White have up until this year been domestic champions and very solid leaders - it's all well and good to moan about a lack of leadership and claim the shield is going soft, but then don't also moan about 'experienced campaigners' taking the place of 'young talent'.

Quiney would get a game at every state - whilst WA's batting has been sensational this year, he would have been in when Marsh was with the national side.

I don't see anything wrong with Ahmed playing. His performances more than justify selection and whilst I'm pretty hesitant to take their word as gospel, journalists often still allude to him being a player relevant in the eyes of the Australian selection panel. Holland might be a bit unlucky, but he has been given many opportunities to nail down a first class position. The plight of Muirhead is not a great story for anyone involved, but again it comes back to the number one recommendation of nearly every Australian player with an opinion on the Argus report - the strength of the Shield was being severely compromised as it was becoming solely focused on being a development pathway. Agar was a big loss, but WA gambled significantly in getting him over before he appeared at any domestic level showing a remarkable amount of faith in a very unproven player. It has/will pay off, but it was a big risk and I can understand why the Vics didn't want to match it.

So please name some names and give me specific examples, I'm sure there are some.

Ok so to play devils advocate are you actually capable of naming these 'has beens' and journeymen or are you just regurgitating?

Christian is pretty unpopular, but my impression is that he's had a good a shield season as he ever has.

Stoinis copped a lot of flak, but giving him a contract has turned out to be completely justified with a very impressive year.

Boland is not fashionable, but every state side has a bowler (or multiple bowlers in the case of South Australia) who's there to perform the same kind of role as him.

Hussey and White have up until this year been domestic champions and very solid leaders - it's all well and good to moan about a lack of leadership and claim the shield is going soft, but then don't also moan about 'experienced campaigners' taking the place of 'young talent'.

Quiney would get a game at every state - whilst WA's batting has been sensational this year, he would have been in when Marsh was with the national side.

I don't see anything wrong with Ahmed playing. His performances more than justify selection and whilst I'm pretty hesitant to take their word as gospel, journalists often still allude to him being a player relevant in the eyes of the Australian selection panel. Holland might be a bit unlucky, but he has been given many opportunities to nail down a first class position. The plight of Muirhead is not a great story for anyone involved, but again it comes back to the number one recommendation of nearly every Australian player with an opinion on the Argus report - the strength of the Shield was being severely compromised as it was becoming solely focused on being a development pathway. Agar was a big loss, but WA gambled significantly in getting him over before he appeared at any domestic level showing a remarkable amount of faith in a very unproven player. It has/will pay off, but it was a big risk and I can understand why the Vics didn't want to match it.

So please name some names and give me specific examples, I'm sure there are some.
Go through the side you have just listed, and identify those that could possibly play for Australia in the future.

Fawad Ahmed possibly as a 35 year old leg spinner who migrated here 4 years ago, possibly Matthew Wade, although I think he's done, Pattinson - should do and that's it. Siddle and White are unlikely.

Over time the Vics have been very good at putting together very experienced and hardened squads, but it comes at a price and the development of youngsters. White was captain ten years ago, Hadscomb is the only young batsman that has come through since, Quiney was virtually mature age when he started. Interestingly the Winner of Cricket Superstar - Ian Holland is 103 not out in today's District Final.

Go through the side you have just listed, and identify those that could possibly play for Australia in the future.

Fawad Ahmed possibly as a 35 year old leg spinner who migrated here 4 years ago, possibly Matthew Wade, although I think he's done, Pattinson - should do and that's it. Siddle and White are unlikely.

Over time the Vics have been very good at putting together very experienced and hardened squads, but it comes at a price and the development of youngsters. White was captain ten years ago, Hadscomb is the only young batsman that has come through since, Quiney was virtually mature age when he started. Interestingly the Winner of Cricket Superstar - Ian Holland is 103 not out in today's District Final.

Do you have an opinion on Holland at all? He seems to keep racking up the runs and wickets for Ringwood but apparently lost his rookie contract for this season?

Do you have an opinion on Holland at all? He seems to keep racking up the runs and wickets for Ringwood but apparently lost his rookie contract for this season?
Yes - I think he's worth retaining as a rookie as a worst case scenario. He's got a very solid technique and has made runs, not sure about his bowling, but I'd be putting him in my squad over Christian.

Stoinis and Handscomb have the potential for higher honours.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Fair call, but whenever a guy like Ricky Ponting or Ryan Harris come out and voice their concern of the decline in standard of the Shield (and criticise the futures league/2nd XI setup) it seems that we are all in unanimous agreement that a more competitive and cut-throat environment is what is needed to produce champions. It's very difficult to find the right balance and I do not blame Victoria at all for erring on the side of caution by being reluctant to lose the 'intellectual property' of genuine pro's like Hodge, Hussey, White, McKay and McDonald. Guys who looked awesome talents as juniors in Blizzard and Hill got opportunities, perhaps not enough (although reasonably substantial) but then moved states and have never managed to kick on at first class level.

They tried the Melbourne Football Club theory of pumping games into Keath, but it always felt kind of directionless and at the end of the day you can't continue to justify picking him ahead or alongside other allrounders in Stoinis and Christian when he still hasn't had any substantial performances.

I think the problems to do with the development of Victorian Cricketers aren't so much the causing of the Bushrangers.

Fair call, but whenever a guy like Ricky Ponting or Ryan Harris come out and voice their concern of the decline in standard of the Shield (and criticise the futures league/2nd XI setup) it seems that we are all in unanimous agreement that a more competitive and cut-throat environment is what is needed to produce champions. It's very difficult to find the right balance and I do not blame Victoria at all for erring on the side of caution by being reluctant to lose the 'intellectual property' of genuine pro's like Hodge, Hussey, White, McKay and McDonald. Guys who looked awesome talents as juniors in Blizzard and Hill got opportunities, perhaps not enough (although reasonably substantial) but then moved states and have never managed to kick on at first class level.

They tried the Melbourne Football Club theory of pumping games into Keath, but it always felt kind of directionless and at the end of the day you can't continue to justify picking him ahead or alongside other allrounders in Stoinis and Christian when he still hasn't had any substantial performances.

I think the problems to do with the development of Victorian Cricketers aren't so much the causing of the Bushrangers.
Vics focus on pathway - players who do not dominate age group cricket are ignored - what we end up with is flat track bullies often lacking the technical and mental skills to make it at the highest level. They're talented, but well short of the best. Keath is the classic example, Finch another.

Stoinis could make it. More likely in ODI's than Test though.

Well they did pick Burns this summer, and their stats this season are basically identical except Burns converted his starts more often. If he continues going like this and maybe adds things to his bowling (decent cutters and slower balls) then he could well get a gig.

Ian Holland doing very nicely in recent weeks. Will he get a Victoria Contract next year?

Also who from the current squad won't be offered another contract?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back