Victoria Bushrangers season 2014/15 thread

Remove this Banner Ad

That's what I reckon the problem is (western royboy, get in here). I thought WA's problem was more to do with discipline and culture rather than talent anyway.

Pretty much every state has one or two young batsmen who could play for Australia in the next ten years. Who does Victoria have?

And add to that outside of football Victorian sportsmen are weak as piss.
Peter Handscomb

Would love to see Handscomb - stay at the same position all year (top 4) - he showed in the last innings (albeit at NSO) that he needs time at the crease. With this I hope he can score a couple of shield tons this year.

Would love to see Handscomb - stay at the same position all year (top 4) - he showed in the last innings (albeit at NSO) that he needs time at the crease. With this I hope he can score a couple of shield tons this year.
He should be at 3 in all formats
A big maybe IMO.
One of the best players of spin in the Shield, although can be a bit edgy. If CA had any brains he'd be playing in England this summer at either Nottingham or Durham. Especially since he counts as a local.

He should be at 3 in all formats

One of the best players of spin in the Shield, although can be a bit edgy. If CA had any brains he'd be playing in England this summer at either Nottingham or Durham. Especially since he counts as a local.

Can't see why Handscomb can't organise things himself.

Can't see why Handscomb can't organise things himself.
Fair point, but I haven't had a dig at CA in a while do I felt the need to do so :D
I'll defer to your knowledge on this one, eth-dog. Just saying I'm a skeptic.
Fair enough, but the kid has oodles of talent if developed properly.

Fair point, but I haven't had a dig at CA in a while do I felt the need to do so :D

Fair enough, but the kid has oodles of talent if developed properly.

If he has a good two seasons could be in line for Test Selection. CV, need to do the right thing by these young lads and giving them the best chance to don the baggy green.

That's what I reckon the problem is (western royboy, get in here). I thought WA's problem was more to do with discipline and culture rather than talent anyway.

Pretty much every state has one or two young batsmen who could play for Australia in the next ten years. Who does Victoria have?

And add to that outside of football Victorian sportsmen are weak as piss.
The systems that CV employ, I believe are fundamentally flawed. A few years ago they began focussing on elite talent, which is fine the problem is that much of that comes from under age carnivals where size and strength dominates over technique. Plenty of talented kids are being overlooked. If you miss out at that stage, it's very hard to get back in. District cricket has been gutted, nowhere near the depth, nowhere near the testing ground and surprise surprise completely ignored by the selectors. The Victorian system has become very insular. Lots of smoke being blown up each other but not much to show for it. Ryan Carters was not overly positive in his assessment of the culture. People bagged County Cricket for years "too many journeyman hanging on for a payday" so we went ahead and replicated it.

Go through the Victorian squad and identify the players you think may be Test players now and into the future. Handscomb I really like, but on face value he would appear to be copping some ordinary treatment at the minute.

The whole place needs a very strong review. Yay we have more kids playing than ever before, what they are playing is a mickey mouse watered down version that is now pervading cricket of all levels.

Could of not said it better myself! Re. size and strength. I think Trav Dean from Footscray is a perfect example - dominated the under age carnival, bigger and better than most and then had trouble turn that into District level for a couple of years - only starting to see the rewards from hard work (last season + beginning of this one).

As much as a personnel change is needed in the squad - developing the youth. I think it's almost time to get some fresh blood up top (i.e. coach) need a fresh outlook - with no bias towards any existing players.

Could of not said it better myself! Re. size and strength. I think Trav Dean from Footscray is a perfect example - dominated the under age carnival, bigger and better than most and then had trouble turn that into District level for a couple of years - only starting to see the rewards from hard work (last season + beginning of this one).

As much as a personnel change is needed in the squad - developing the youth. I think it's almost time to get some fresh blood up top (i.e. coach) need a fresh outlook - with no bias towards any existing players.
If Shipperd were to be moved on and they hire Helmot (no offence to him I like him) but in essence nothing will have changed.

lol handscombe to bat 4 all season:rolleyes: with the current CV admin! don't hold your breath.

handscomb can bat anywhere in the order, all he needs is to be selected on a consistent basis

lol handscombe to bat 4 all season:rolleyes: with the current CV admin! don't hold your breath.

handscomb can bat anywhere in the order, all he needs is to be selected on a consistent basis
Don't move him around the order, he needs to be given a position (#3) and take that role upon himself for the season. None of this changing roles every game, we saw what that did to Hughes when CA were doing that too him.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Helmot stood down from his Vic cricket roles earlier in the year, so I don't even know who is next in line.
http://www.espncricinfo.com/australia/content/story/727813.html
I am well aware of that, I think he did it to give some clear air between himself and Shipherd when the job comes up, which is soon. IMO he's been part of the whole set up for the same amount of time Shippy has been his mentor. We need to clear the decks thus he should not be considered. That's no knock on his ability but we need a totally new set of eyes, similar to hen Hookesy came in.

Is Alex Keath done, serious question?
Shouldn't be. Why he was opening is beyond me, we have 2 opening bats in Stoinis and Short, yet neither of them open.

Is Alex Keath done, serious question?
As long as he bats with a backlift that comes from point/gully his chances of succeeding at First Class level are limited at best.

So much time put into him - yet the basic fundamentals are ignored!!

WTF is going on inside there?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back