Victoria Election - 29 November 2014

Remove this Banner Ad

Not really Sex Party and Greens should ensure that DLP don't get a damn thing they want. Shooter and Fishers only got 2 seats because of the bloody preference whisperer. Who the * are the Vote 1 Local Jobs? Surely there needs to be some kind of standard to party names i.e. not allowed to use the the phrase Vote 1 in your party name.

I don't know I think they should be able to get a bunch of stuff done that they want. The positive for the ALP is that most of the minor parties have a clear policy framework as opposed to a party like PUP who could want anything on any given day.

The ALP were always going to need the Greens (or Coalition) to pass anything. The only difference is that if they get the Greens support they also need another 2 votes on top of that. Realistically on most issues the Sex Party aren't likely to be hugely different to the Greens so that should be an achievable vote. Then they need 1 other. Vote 1 Local Jobs look like the obvious candidates for most things since they seem locally focused and are supporting a lot of what Labor would be pushing in terms of skills training and infrastructure development.

I'm tipping big changes to wind farm the wind farm approval process. It's high on the Greens and Sex Party agenda, fits with the Vote 1 Local Jobs people who stress the importance of wind energy to provide jobs in Western Victoria and also gives the ALP a big point of difference to the federal coalition.

There will be a bit of horse trading but in the end I expect most stuff to get through.

Whilst many think that it will be interesting it won't be as much trouble for Labor as what Abbott has in the Senate.

ALP will have no problems dealing with either the Greens or Sex Party.
Shooters & Fishers whilst potentially difficult on some topics will be quite accommodating on others.

Know nothing about Vote 1 local jobs

DLP member will be collecting a pay cheque and that is all.

Whilst many think that it will be interesting it won't be as much trouble for Labor as what Abbott has in the Senate.

ALP will have no problems dealing with either the Greens or Sex Party.
Shooters & Fishers whilst potentially difficult on some topics will be quite accommodating on others.

Know nothing about Vote 1 local jobs

DLP member will be collecting a pay cheque and that is all.
Not sure Daniel is getting off to the best start. One of the key reasons the Sex Party got a spot was their pro dying with dignity stance.

Now all they want in the first instance is to refer the matter to the Law Reform Commission for examination and report. Fairly unremarkable I'd have thought. Well! Daniel has said nyet despite countless surveys showing between 75% and 80% support for the issue.

Grow a pair Daniel!!!!!!

Not sure Daniel is getting off to the best start. One of the key reasons the Sex Party got a spot was their pro dying with dignity stance.

Now all they want in the first instance is to refer the matter to the Law Reform Commission for examination and report. Fairly unremarkable I'd have thought. Well! Daniel has said nyet despite countless surveys showing between 75% and 80% support for the issue.

Grow a pair Daniel!!!!!!
I know I voted for them in Northern Metropolitian District, once you've seen someone close to you die a slow and painful death as the body gives up but the mind is alert until the final day, you realise that keeping them alive is a form of torture. The RSPCA would make sure you were charged with animal cruelty if you did that to an animal so why do we do it to a human. Greens also have no problem with the dying with dignity cause and believe that Shooters & Fishers sit in the nuetral corner on it.

Daniel saying nyet makes a little bit more sense than Julia saying nyet to same sex marriage after it received an almost unanimous approval at the Labor national congress.

Would like to see Daniel get advice on same sex marriage. I have seen some advice which is that the Federal government might find it difficult to over rule a state if they legislated it. Only ACT tried it, but they were always going to lose due to their status, but as the states have additional powers in the constitution it would be a very different arguement in the High Court and much harder for Abbott to win.

The ALP were always going to need the Greens (or Coalition) to pass anything. The only difference is that if they get the Greens support they also need another 2 votes on top of that. Realistically on most issues the Sex Party aren't likely to be hugely different to the Greens so that should be an achievable vote. Then they need 1 other. Vote 1 Local Jobs look like the obvious candidates for most things since they seem locally focused and are supporting a lot of what Labor would be pushing in terms of skills training and infrastructure development.
The Sex Party are broadly libertarian in most of their policy positions are they not?
They'll be like the Greens in being socially progressive, but unlike the Greens in wanting to avoid government involvement in personal lives as much as possible - n a regulatory sense they may be miles apart.

Y

I don't see how I am missing your point. The upper house is set up to represent the overall view of each region. In each region you need 5 representatives. So 100% of the votes divided by 5 is 20% so in order to get a seat you need 20% of the vote. Think of a pie chart, you're trying to get the right balance to represent that regions views so for example one regions political view is 41% vote Liberal, 39% vote Labor, 12% Greens and 8% for the other minor parties. So because for each seat you need 20% that means Liberals have got 2 seats already and now they are left with 1% of the vote. Next Labor has enough for 1 seat so now they have 19% of votes left. So currently we are at 2 seats Liberal and 1 seat Labor with 2 seats up for grabs.
If you voted below the line for Liberal and Labor going from 1 to 5 in order from the top box to the bottom box then that will mean your vote has already been used and is no longer needed because your first preference has already gained a seat. The only votes that get transfered down to the next Labor or Liberal candidates are the votes that have been cast above the line.
So by the time most of the minor parties and Liberals have been eliminated the current voting stands at 19% Labor, 19% Greens and 2% Sex Party. So once the Sex Party is eliminated it gives its preferences to Greens which means Greens gain a seat and pass their remaining 1% vote to Labor being the only party left which then means Labor gets the final seat. So the end result is 2 seats Liberal, 2 seats Labor and 1 seat Greens. So from the 41% for Liberal, 39% for Labor and 12% for Greens I think it works out well that 2 seats each are for Liberal and Labor and 1 seat is for Greens.
I'm aware of how preferential voting works. I'm not sure why that had absolutely anything to do with allowing optional preferecing in the Upper House but not the Lower House?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back