News Victoria Park the sequel

Remove this Banner Ad

Jan 10, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Melbourne City & Tottenham
Collingwood have revealed an ambitious long-term plan to build their own stadium and have already explored options for a new ground as the club announced another year of multimillion-dollar profits.

With limits on where and how profits can be spent on their players and football department, and with the club's newly expanded home facilities on the Yarra almost complete, the Magpies are canvassing options for further investment in the club. One possibility in the medium to long term is to copy the big European soccer clubs that buttress their financial futures by owning their own stadiums.

http://www.smh.com.au/afl/afl-magpie-stadium-no-pie-in-the-sky-20141124-11ssco.html

This would be a dream come true.

That'd really be something. That's one thing about soccer/NFL/NBA that I really love. The fact that clubs have their own stadiums and their fans really have a sense of home and love making it hell for opposition supporters and players!

Problem is it's going to have to seat 80,000+ people. That will be expensive.
If we could build a better stadium than etihad, get all those games over and put the effort in to making it a great concert venue as well would could make a fortune, pull a lot of events from mcg, tennis centre, and etihad.
I'd be willing to put on a few wrestling events too.

Just for reference ...

The Sydney Olympic Stadium was completed in 1999 for $690 million. It had a 110,000 seat capacity back then.

Docklands was completed around the same time for $460 million (53,000 seat capacity)

The Adelaide oval redevelopment (completed this year) came in at around $535 million.

So a new stadium that could host the Collingwood army would be upwards of $1 billion

"We would love to have our own stadium. And, no, it is not beyond the realm of possibility; we have looked at options,"

"That would be our ideal - to have our own stadium - and we have explored it. It's not in the short term but it would be our ideal though. I don't think [a return to] Victoria Park works ... it wouldn't give us the land and scope. I can't say where it would be, but you don't need to buy the land, there are so many joint-venture partners, private equity and stuff. It's not pie in the sky." -Gary Pert

EOBJAyk.gif

That'd really be something. That's one thing about soccer/NFL/NBA that I really love. The fact that clubs have their own stadiums and their fans really have a sense of home and love making it hell for opposition supporters and players!

Footy used to be like that too :(

Footy used to be like that too :(
"Used to" being the key phrase! :(

I never got to experience it! I was born in 91 and have no memories of ever watching Collingwood at Vic Park lol.

... put the effort in to making it a great concert venue as well would could make a fortune, pull a lot of events from mcg, tennis centre, and etihad.
I'd be willing to put on a few wrestling events too.

We already have a 11,000 seat venue that could be configured to host events (not games of footy but)

Pro wrestling at the Westpac Centre?

It doesn't seem to have been a priority for the club to make the seating area operational.

Oh my god, I wonder if I'll still be alive if/when this comes to fruition.

The stars would have to align ...

- Collingwood enjoy good onfield success in the coming years, winning a Premiership around 2016 / 2017

- Collingwood enjoys good financial success in the back of its onfield success, gets some decent cash reserves (dunno, $40 million by around 2018 / 2019 is a guess)

- Club soccer somehow stops making inroads into the Australian sporting landscape.

- A massive economic recession hits around 2017. By 2019 it's biting hard. Labour is cheap and plentiful, a stadium can be built for a fraction of the cost of today. The government are looking at major infrastructure projects to create jobs and stimulate the economy. Collingwood gets a massive government grant to build a new 60,000 seat stadium.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The club can't touch the seating area, it's heritage listed and off limits. No one is allowed access up there.

That's true, the seats are heritage listed. The club cannot remove them, or change their colour or anything like that.

But I would ***strongly*** doubt that would prevent the club coming to an arrangement where people allowed to sit in them. (Provided of course that there's no safety issues with using them ... fire codes, etc ... Which I would have thought would be the bigger issue at the moment)

What do you think Vicky Park , you're our resident heritage expert?

That's true, the seats are heritage listed. The club cannot remove them, or change their colour or anything like that.

But I would ***strongly*** doubt that would prevent the club coming to an arrangement where people allowed to sit in them. (Provided of course that there's no safety issues with using them ... fire codes, adequate bathroom facilities, etc ... Which I would have thought would be the bigger issue at the moment)

What do you think Vicky Park , you're our resident heritage expert?

Are we talking about the seats in the Westpac Centre? I'll get back to you on that.

Last edited by a moderator:
More McGuire ego stroking. Spend the money on the footy department and pay the tax if need be FFS.

Hawthorn = worry about getting the job done on field
Collingwood = bluff and bluster to make a point

We wouldn't need an 80k seat stadium, we'd only need one around 60-65K, because if it is to be "our home ground" then * the rest of the clubs, let's make it like a soccer home ground where 90% of the seats are for our fans.

It's a pipe dream though really, can't see us ever raising enough to build our own stadium, and even then how does the stadium become profitable if we are only playing 10 home games there a year (guessing the rotation of ANZAC day and Carlton would still be an MCG home game).

What are they gonna build this thing over the next 50 years or something? I can't see this happening at all, don't we have to spend the money we make as the organisation is non for profit or something like that?

We may be making good coin each year, but what money do we have in the bank?

I apologise, I don't really understand how this would pan out. Would be cool, but seriously have my doubts.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back