Victorian Clubs get 'Academies' for Indigenous/Multicultural players

Remove this Banner Ad

I meant seemingly poaching him from one team's zone to another? Isn't this already a disincentive for teams like St Kilda to invest in their allocated region if wealthier clubs will just come poach the players anyway?

Wouldn't it be good to see teams honoring the spirit and integrity of the system for a little while at least?

Why would Collingwood Poach Him when he was in Collingwood's NT Zone and @SCPaige has said he will play for the Oakleigh Chargers in the TAC Cup. Which is Collingwood's TAC Cup Team

Surely this NT kid would have to primarily live in Barkley to qualify for Collingwood's zone. Much in the same way the Swans tried to get Dustin Martin eligible for NSW zone selection but couldn't because he hadn't lived in Sydney for 2 years prior to the draft.

Sounds like up to this year. He has lived in the Barely Zone.

I did not know the Swans had Academy that far back

Sounds like up to this year. He has lived in the Barely Zone.

He's 15 now, if he goes to school in Kew for the next 3 years surely that makes him ineligible?

He's 15 now, if he goes to school in Kew for the next 3 years surely that makes him ineligible?

Why? We would Sign up ASAP.

Why would he be Ineligible?

Without Knowing the Rules and the Rules are not Set In Stone. We are just Guessing at the Moment

You do realise PK was an unfulfilled talent at the Lions first before he became an unfulfilled talent at the Pies, right? It's not all about you.
Tbh, I know most characterize him as that but I think it's a bit harsh (at least judging from his time at the Pies). His stats in the VFL were terrific and the times that I watched him he was trying his guts out. There are just some players who for whatever reason are capped at VFL level. I think he was one of them - both physically and skill wise he was a fair way off our best 22.

He's in the u15 AA team so presumably part of an elite system which probably disqualifies him from getting to us via academy (at least that's how I think it should work)

That is the only Way I see us missing out on him because with him being part of the U-15 Australian Schoolboys Team. Might rule him out because of the Work been put into him by I guess the by the AFL?

I imagine any indigenous kids who were ever in an auskick program or play club football wont be academy eligible.
That's way to broad for somewhere like the Territory I would have thought. Disqualification should be based on rep teams or the clubs from the strongest local competition.

This some Info I have about this TheBrownDog

Is MGS Melbourne Grammar School because if it is then you can make a pretty strong argument that playing footy at a flash city school constitutes an elite set up as well.

That's way to broad for somewhere like the Territory I would have thought. Disqualification should be based on rep teams or the clubs from the strongest local competition.

Well Might be Broad but how many players that get Draft come from the NT? Not Many at all.

I can see Rep Teams being a possible reason for DQ but I doubt State League would stop it.

Is MGS Melbourne Grammar School because if it is then you can make a pretty strong argument that playing footy at a flash city school constitutes an elite set up as well.

Then why would the AFL Allow this to Happen to bring kids from NT to play at APS School so they get looked after.

Rather them go to Public School Instead?

211255_e2b674fc8df224b9a85d1308174559c2.PNG

Well Might be Broad but how many players that get Draft come from the NT? Not Many at all.

I can see Rep Teams being a possible reason for DQ but I doubt State League would stop it.
The way I see it the point of academies in the Territory is to find and develop talent that would otherwise not have been found by the AFL. I've watched some of their top league on TV and it's a pretty good standard and also attracts a lot of ex AFL players. I'd imagine that any underage indigenous players doing well in that comp would be well and truly on the radar of most AFL clubs. The same can't be said for smaller leagues, especially in regional areas and that's exactly what these academies are targeting imo.

The way I see it the point of academies in the Territory is to find and develop talent that would otherwise not have been found by the AFL. I've watched some of their top league on TV and it's a pretty good standard and also attracts a lot of ex AFL players. I'd imagine that any underage indigenous players doing well in that comp would be well and truly on the radar of most AFL clubs. The same can't be said for smaller leagues, especially in regional areas and that's exactly what these academies are targeting imo.

So you are okay of Finding kids for Acadamies that play State League Footy in the NT? or Just saying they have to play Local Footy to Qualify?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If playing state league they'd have to be disqualified imo.

So IF that is the Case then Teams should be able to sign any Kids yet and start with 12-13 Year Olds Then

I would think there would be a minimum year requirement to have first access come draft day. Similar to how weller was in eligible for GC.

If this is the case then the first draft quality player could be a few years away yet

I would think there would be a minimum year requirement to have first access come draft day. Similar to how weller was in eligible for GC.

If this is the case then the first draft quality player could be a few years away yet

So it be like 15 and Younger?

I meant seemingly poaching him from one team's zone to another? Isn't this already a disincentive for teams like St Kilda to invest in their allocated region if wealthier clubs will just come poach the players anyway?

I think we've seen the first gaming of the system here. Using the private school system to launder players.

Wouldn't it be good to see teams honoring the spirit and integrity of the system for a little while at least?

Should be the same rules as state of origin. Where you've spent the majority of your life......

Might be rough for the odd kid that moves interstate at 10 or 11 and cant be involved in an academy locally, but it will protect everything else.

No way should 2-3 years of schooling qualify you for that local zone.

Surely this NT kid would have to primarily live in Barkley to qualify for Collingwood's zone. Much in the same way the Swans tried to get Dustin Martin eligible for NSW zone selection but couldn't because he hadn't lived in Sydney for 2 years prior to the draft.

If he's living and going to school in Kew for 10 months a year then bye bye eligibility

If it's like the other academies it'll be based off his registered address, which would probably still be his parents even if he goes to boarding school.

I think getting the NT boys down to Melbourne as 16 year olds be a great thing as it Lessons there Possible Go Home Factor

Yeah great. Let's yank some kids out of the NT and bring them down to Melbourne, fill their heads with the idea of playing footy in the Afl. Say 1 in 5 make it what happenes to the other 4? Just discard them and keep searching for more talent?

I thought any Aboriginal Kid in Zones be fair game. Espically in Rural Zones.

That would take quite a Few Players away from Rural Academies

FFS. This actually turned my stomach. The I know the AFL looks at these kids like
goods but geez do we have to?

So IF that is the Case then Teams should be able to sign any Kids yet and start with 12-13 Year Olds Then

That's it. I'm done.

Yeah great. Let's yank some kids out of the NT and bring them down to Melbourne, fill their heads with the idea of playing footy in the Afl. Say 1 in 5 make it what happenes to the other 4? Just discard them and keep searching for more talent?

Collingwood did that with Elijah Edwards already

Multicultural by the standards of the AFL World team in the u16's means you were born in a country other then Australia or you have one or more parents from different countries. Mabior Chol for example is a multicultural player because he was born in Sudan. Hisham Kerbatieh, a player who went un drafted this year despite having a good year wasn't born in another country. His mother however was born in Lebanon making him Multicultural. If your grandparents is from another country however you aren't multicultural by the AFL standards.

Multicultural by the standards of the AFL World team in the u16's means you were born in a country other then Australia or you have one or more parents from different countries. Mabior Chol for example is a multicultural player because he was born in Sudan. Hisham Kerbatieh, a player who went un drafted this year despite having a good year wasn't born in another country. His mother however was born in Lebanon making him Multicultural. If your grandparents is from another country however you aren't multicultural by the AFL standards.
Would nic nat qualify?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back