PCO
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions

Jugada

Brownlow Medallist
Dec 5, 2012
AFL Club
West Coast
So the good of the industry as a whole isn't important to you?

And no one pays for sky on foxtel.

If he doesnt watch it, why would he care? "Racing as a whole" isnt going to come to a halt just because one state doesnt have TV vision for a short period of time

Oct 15, 2007
PCO
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
If he doesnt watch it, why would he care? "Racing as a whole" isnt going to come to a halt just because one state doesnt have TV vision for a short period of time

Are you serious?

If you chop off your arm, your life as a whole isn't going to grind to a halt just because you've lost an arm, so why not chop off your arm?

Are you serious?

If you chop off your arm, your life as a whole isn't going to grind to a halt just because you've lost an arm, so why not chop off your arm?

Tad of an over exaggeration? Racing in Victoria will still be available to watch online, with a contract and TV broadcasting rights at worst to be settled by August.

Victorian Racing is too much of a money earner so in the end its the broadcasters who will be the ones who come grovelling back, not the other way around. RV are just getting as good a deal as they can without taking it up the clacker from Sky as was expected with the closure of TVN, they should be commended.

2 months of Victorian winter racing not being available on free to air/payTV is hardly a 'cut your arm off' scenario.

Last edited:
Oct 15, 2007
PCO
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Tad of an over exaggeration? Racing in Victoria will still be available to watch online, with a contract and TV broadcasting rights at worst to be settled by August.

Victorian Racing is too much of a money earner so in the end its the broadcasters who will be the ones who come grovelling back, not the other way around. RV are just getting as good a deal as they can without taking it up the clacker from Sky as was expected with the closure of TVN, they should be commended.

2 months of Victorian winter racing not being available on free to air/payTV is hardly a 'cut your arm off' scenario.

It's an example.

Racing needs to make decisions that are positive for racing, not negative. There's enormous competition for the gambling dollar from all sports all over the globe now, if racing is to survive (let alone thrive) it needs to be progressive. Cutting off telecast of one of the two major states of racing in the country is absolutely not progressive, and is harmful for racing.

Yet another cut in the death of one thousand cuts.

But it's OK, so long as he can see it, it doesn't matter. :rolleyes:

It's an example.

Racing needs to make decisions that are positive for racing, not negative. There's enormous competition for the gambling dollar from all sports all over the globe now, if racing is to survive (let alone thrive) it needs to be progressive. Cutting off telecast of one of the two major states of racing in the country is absolutely not progressive, and is harmful for racing.

Yet another cut in the death of one thousand cuts.

But it's OK, so long as he can see it, it doesn't matter. :rolleyes:

And yet they are negotiating with a free to air channel so it reaches even more households than ever. :drunk:

Oct 15, 2007
PCO
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
And yet they are negotiating with a free to air channel so it reaches even more households than ever. :drunk:

Which won't be running until August at least. I am talking about the next couple of months, and no coverage of Victorian racing during that period.

Of course a FTA channel on Vic racing would be fantastic for Vic racing, a real positive move that can only help our racing. That's why it's even more of a disaster that Tabcorp are attempting to stymie this move by forcing RV to agree to their deal, with the threat of a telecast blackout.

That you can't see this is, frankly, baffling.

Which won't be running until August at least. I am talking about the next couple of months, and no coverage of Victorian racing during that period.

Of course a FTA channel on Vic racing would be fantastic for Vic racing, a real positive move that can only help our racing. That's why it's even more of a disaster that Tabcorp are attempting to stymie this move by forcing RV to agree to their deal, with the threat of a telecast blackout.

That you can't see this is, frankly, baffling.

Its not that i can't see it at all.

My question to you would be: Is the 'damage' caused by missing out on two winter months of racing bigger than the boost Victorian racing would gain from FTA racing broadcasting?

Oct 15, 2007
PCO
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Its not that i can't see it at all.

My question to you would be: Is the 'damage' caused by missing out on two winter months of racing bigger than the boost Victorian racing would gain from FTA racing broadcasting?

No, it's not. But it's damage nonetheless. That TAB/SKY wouldn't agree to an interim arrangement, for the good of racing, is the part I take issue with.

No, it's not. But it's damage nonetheless. That TAB/SKY wouldn't agree to an interim arrangement, for the good of racing, is the part I take issue with.

That's why I'm happy to see Victorian Racing giving Sky the bird. Sky's tactics won't work on VR, they are not weak like the ATC nor desperate for an immediate cash injection like Queensland racing. They have the best product racing has to offer in this country and broadcasters will line up for it as is the case here.

Sky are the ones burning bridges here, fools, they will be the ones who come grovelling back mark my words. 'Can we please showing Victorian Racing again? Pleease!!!??'

In the end I'm happy enough with some short term pain for a long term gain.

Last edited:

Jugada

Brownlow Medallist
Dec 5, 2012
AFL Club
West Coast
TAB have to look after their shareholders first and foremost. Sure it would be great if they kept broadcasting til the takeover but its only a minor speed bump given you can watch them online and if you dont watch them on Sky TV anyway then its not even an issue for you. Why expect people to be that bothered about something that wont affect them?

A couple of months of no Vic on Sky is hardly going to do any long term damage to all of racing

Oct 15, 2007
PCO
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
That's why I'm happy to see Victorian Racing giving Sky the bird. Sky's tactics won't work on VR, they are not the weak like the ATC nor desperate for an immediate cash injection like Queensland racing. They have the best product racing has to offer in this country and broadcasters will line up for it as is the case here.

Sky are the ones burning bridges here, fools, they will be the ones who come grovelling back mark my words. 'Can we please showing Victorian Racing again? Pleease!!!??'

At the end I'm happy enough with some short term pain for a long term gain.

I absolutely hope RV hold firm and do not cave to blackmail by TABCORP/SKY, and I agree that Vic racing is a fantastic product. My anger is at TABCORP's willingness to sabotage a product on which their income depends, merely to attempt to dominate the broadcast market.

I absolutely hope RV hold firm and do not cave to blackmail by TABCORP/SKY, and I agree that Vic racing is a fantastic product. My anger is at TABCORP's willingness to sabotage a product on which their income depends, merely to attempt to dominate the broadcast market.

That we can both agree on.

I trust RV to get the best outcome, they have a spine unlike the ATC, Sky won't be the dictator here.

Jan 30, 2013
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
I approve of the **** sky and **** racing NSW attitude.

Sky's a joke and a standalone broadcast will do wonders for RV. Yes the fact is I probably won't do many race to race bets in the next two months in melbourne but it's going to do wonders long term. I hate how sky's premium channel still tries to push 5-6 races per hour on you, it's sky1 without trots/dogs yet still has all those terrible presenters. (Yes I'm looking at you freedman/munsie)

As far as Racing NSW goes I have completely abandoned all form on it during the off season. Yes they have more prize money but along with the standard of broadcast the tracks are substandard, only 2-3 stand out jockeys, 2-3 trainers and the standard of horses (outside some like godolphin 2/3yo's and Waterhouse 2yos) are well below Victorian class.

terminators

All Australian
Oct 10, 2008
geelong
AFL Club
Collingwood
Will be interesting to see the impact on RV turnover when they move to FTA.

They'll pick up their share of small time punters, not sure how much they'll help turnover. Most keen punters have Sky and will have the racing on it by default to cover every other states racing and carnivals. I'd expect plenty of lost turnover through punters missing Vic racing jump times and having to continually flick between channels to watch it.

Back