Victorian tram and train drivers fight for a pay rise

Do Victorian tram or train drivers deserve a pay rise?

• Yes

Votes: 6 22.2%
  • No

Votes: 21 77.8%

• Total voters
Figures are possible inflated if you consider regular overtime and weekend shifts.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/vi...another-pay-rise/story-fnpp4dl6-1227485277007

TRAIN and tram drivers crying poor and bringing the city to a standstill are already paid more than a police sergeant and Melbourne’s deputy Lord Mayor.

Tram drivers are now paid about $91,000 while ticket inspectors checking mykis on trams are paid $89,000.

If the union gets its way of an 18 per cent rise over three years, a tram driver would reap $107,380 and a ticket checker stands to make $105,020.

story-fnpp4dl6-1227485277007

Train drivers can now earn up to $120,000 — compared with Melbourne’s deputy Lord Mayor, who makes $90,081, some firefighters earning $95,000 or top cops who are paid up to $104,500.

A ticket checker nabbing fare evaders on the train network can now earn $76,502 after 12 months’ experience, compared to a first-year armed Protective Services Officer who gets about $69,000.

The 18 per cent rise would see most Metro ticket inspectors break into six figures, including a crew leader who could then earn up to $107,116.

The current enterprise agreement expired on June 30 and negotiations between the Rail, Tram and Bus Union and Yarra Trams and Metro have stalled, with neither party willing to budge on pay.

Trains and trams will grind to a halt in simultaneous four-hour work stoppages from 10am-2pm on Friday in the ugly fight over pay and conditions. Train passengers will also get “free travel days” on Wednesday and Friday, with ticket inspectors not checking tickets and leaving myki gates open.

RTBU tram division secretary Phil Altieri said the union’s pay demands were not unreasonable.

“You have to put in context and if it was the car industry which is struggling and falling over, it would be unreasonable,” he said.

“But this is a significant growth industry with more passengers every year and increasing revenue for Yarra Trams. That wouldn’t happen without the staff at the front line; I don’t think we are being unreasonable.”

A Yarra Trams spokesman said: “We firmly believe that the offer put to the RTBU is a fair and balanced offer that would be in line with community expectations given the existing pay and conditions for employees both within and outside the public transport sector.”

To become a tram driver, an applicant needs a driver’s licence and has to pass 29 days of training.

Fully qualified train drivers undergo strict psychological exams and 104 weeks’ training.

Yarra Trams is holding firm on its pay offer of 9 per cent over three years or 10 per cent over three years if a 14-day roster is agreed to.
I'm a little unsure as to how I feel about this.

Firstly, because the amount provided in the article is absolutely gobsmacking. I might not have much of an insight as to what a train, tram or myki inspector's job would entail, but nowhere would I have landed at such a high figure.

Even if the public transport industry is growing, instead of giving the above employees a larger pay rise to already an exorbitant salary, why not invest that money into building more trains and trams and hiring more train and tram drivers?

Is anyone here a tram or train driver? Do you know someone that is? Are the figures realistic?

Do the tram or train drivers deserve a pay rise?

Last edited:

romeohwho

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 20, 2015
AFL Club
Geelong
http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/vi...another-pay-rise/story-fnpp4dl6-1227485277007

Firstly, because the amount provided in the article is absolutely gobsmacking. I might not have much of an insight as to what a train, tram or myki inspector's job would entail, but nowhere would I have landed at such a high figure.

Even if the public transport industry is growing, instead of giving the above employees a larger pay rise to already an exorbitant salary, why not invest that money into building more trains and trams and hiring more train and tram drivers?

Is anyone here a tram or train driver? Do you know someone that is? Are the figures realistic?

Train drivers are, quite reasonably for such an important job, paid very well.
Not sure about ticket inspectors-sounds highly unlikely to me that they would be paid a similar salary to a driver.
I thought the strike was because Metro wants to cut their wages?

Illinois Nazi

Brownlow Medallist
10k Posts Song Contest Winner - 5+ Rounds
Jul 8, 2002
Why? You stalking me?
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Whoever's winning
I'm vaguely reminded of a similar thing that happened in Perth some years ago. I'm a bit hazy on the details, but I think it was just after the Mandurah line opened, there was a big recruiting drive for transit guards, they were given limited arrest powers on trains etc etc. They were being paid really well for the job they do, and there was actually concern over the number of cops who were jumping ship to get paid better for doing much less with less responsibility. A couple of years later it became clear it was unsustainable and their pays were cut massively. Sounds like Victoria might be on the same path.

*Disclaimer: as I said above, this is a vague recollection, not something I was actually involved with at all, any resemblance to the actual facts may turn out to be coincidence

Lester Burnham

Cancelled
Jul 9, 2013
AFL Club
Geelong

The figures quoted for train drivers are always what they can earn with overtime and penalty rates. But it's a pretty basic job. Any high school failure could do it. They do have to cope with people occasionally jumping in front of their trains but they get a decent cash payment plus a couple of weeks off to help them get over it.

18% pay rise over three years is ******* ridiculous. It is twice what any private company is paying.

Kynge of Begrem

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 13, 2011
on bail at the time
AFL Club
Collingwood
Having reviewed the enterprise agreement that covers ticket inspectors (Yarra Trams Enterprise Agreement 2012 - Operations), I am not sure where the $89,000 p.a. figure comes from, unless it is based on an employee who works regular night shifts/weekends and is in receipt of the corresponding loadings.

Having reviewed the enterprise agreement that covers ticket inspectors (Yarra Trams Enterprise Agreement 2012 - Operations), I am not sure where the $89,000 p.a. figure comes from, unless it is based on an employee who works regular night shifts/weekends and is in receipt of the corresponding loadings.
The article was from Murdoch press who are prone to slight exaggeration or highlight the higher end when it comes to unions.

mdizzle

All Australian
Dec 31, 2009
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Liverpool
$90k a year for a dropkick ticket inspector? Is this a joke it should be half of that

Apr 12, 2010
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Ticket inspector I am surprised about.

As for a train driver, it is not so much the difficulty of the job but more the responsibility it carries (cost to community if not reliable, in charge of very expensive equipment, etc) that governs the high salary.

18% over three years seems high-ish given the economic climate though.

Sep 21, 2009
AFL Club
St Kilda
True facts no longer matter. The average Australia is now convinced that they are overpaid bastards, and will fight to the death to stop the pay raise.

TheFreshBanana, have you considered updating your OP to include the facts?
Not having a go at you, but as you can see, not many people have checked the facts, they are just going by the article that you posted and talked about.

The same propaganda was used against nurses and teachers.

Never underestimate an indignant Australian.

medusala

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts
Aug 14, 2004
Loftus Road
AFL Club
Hawthorn

Are night shifts and weekends optional?

medusala

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts
Aug 14, 2004
Loftus Road
AFL Club
Hawthorn
No as usual you were way off. The point is that if overtime and weekends are standard then its not all that misleading to use a higher figure rather than basic pay.

Sep 21, 2009
AFL Club
St Kilda
No as usual you were way off. The point is that if overtime and weekends are standard then its not all that misleading to use a higher figure rather than basic pay.
You know it's standard? So, to justify the pay, you must know that the average worker does the overtime?

Makes your question post a big odd... doesn't it?

Or is it possible, that the average pay isn't the hours * overtime pay, as put forward by the media?

So... What was your point, meds?
Saying that the basic pay, is twice the actual basic pay is misleading...
Thank god you don't use numbers in your line of work!

True facts no longer matter. The average Australia is now convinced that they are overpaid bastards, and will fight to the death to stop the pay raise.

TheFreshBanana, have you considered updating your OP to include the facts?
Not having a go at you, but as you can see, not many people have checked the facts, they are just going by the article that you posted and talked about.

The same propaganda was used against nurses and teachers.

Never underestimate an indignant Australian.
I'd be happy to provide the link Kynge of Begrem got his figures from. Sorry, I couldn't find it navigating FWA.

For now I'll just add the figures are inflated if you consider regular overtime and weekend shifts.

Back