Video game catchall

Remove this Banner Ad

I find the main BF video games boards a pretty unwelcoming place, especially for someone who is passionate about games but isn't entrenched in douchebaggery, a side of the console wars or so deep in the board that they feel like they own it.

I do however like the Lions boards, the people on it (generally) and I've noticed a few video games references here and there so I guess people play games. In the interest of having a like minded group of gentlemanly and ladylike people to talk games with and maybe even play with I thought I'd see if this thread can get any traction in the Den.

I'm currently most deeply into Hearthstone and consequently WoW (pretty much solo) and Elder Scrolls Online on the PC (with a frightening to play pile). But have broken away recently to pick up Europa Universalis IV again with the new expansion.

On the XBone Watch Dogs is my go - enjoying that a lot, but not sure if I'll finish it. The online stuff is very well integrated and I have to admit a lot of fun. also plowing through Peggle 2. It's Peggle. Mindless fun ahoy!

Would love to have a place to chat with friendly and non-douchbaggy people about games in my own timezone without having to join a million sites. I'm a small, intimate community kinda guy so keen to get the Lions gamers talking among themselves.

Davemonkey71 on Steam and XBox Live.

Great idea Dave, I'd also love to talk video games away from the sectarian fanboyism of the BigFooty video game board.

I did 4 tours of duty in the SNES vs Megadrive playground wars of the mid 1990s and have no inclination to revisit that childishness.

Can we have a rule that by posting in this thread that posters implicitly agree to check their fanboy biases at the door and agree not to start petty arguments with others merely because they chose to give their money to a different soulless corporation than you?

Grugg on Xbox Live (360).
Grugg80 on PSN (PS3)
Steam Profile

Last edited:
Depends if you like the corporation I like TBD.

But yes, this is a great idea for a thread. And I agree, let's keep the $ony and xbone junk out of here.

I'm a long time gamer, who was a Sega fanboy back in the day. Even bought myself a dreamcast a couple of years back as I moved away from consoles after owning a Saturn.

PC gaming is where I waste most of my time now (can't aim in FPSs with console controllers). Wasting huge stacks of time on Football Manager 2014 at the moment. But adventures, paradox strategy games, Fallout-style games and the battlefield series are my biggest interests currently. That and retro gaming.

I think I'm ZoBlitz in all of the various gaming hubs that I'm signed up to.

I'm in the "own everything if I had the coin" basket. So there is no fanboyism from me either.

Hentaicle on steam
Blurter Hurter on Xbox live
c41phu5#6400 on battle.net

I've got a 360 and loved Red Dead, GTA 5 and a few others ...

Think I'll get a PS4 for the exclusive titles - love the third person style adventure games.

Biggest fan of Nintendo stuff, though. Loving the new Mario Kart and Mario 3D/Zelda games on the Wii-U. It looks like it's failure of a console in terms of sales (Gamecube-esque), but I still love it.

Haven't traditionally been into games much, but I've grown to enjoy them as I age, which is odd.

Can we have a rule that by posting in this thread that posters implicitly agree to check their fanboy biases at the door and agree not to start petty arguments with others merely because they chose to give their money to a different soulless corporation than you?
Approved by the Parliament of Crows

Put some more time into Watch Dogs last night and despite the fact I drive like Buddy on bender I really like this game. The way multiplayer is handled is just lovely. You can explicitly hit the menus if you want and select a mode but scanning people on the streets will occasionally bring up an opportunity to do an online mission. These range from tailing another player in their game within a certain range for a certain amount of time as you "download data" (always end in crazy car chases), high speed car races and kill missions on other players.
Just as fun is when players invade your world (in a Souls game style) and you have to prevent these things happening to you.

The main story is an ok tale of revenge in the hack able big city but there is so much to do and most of it is fun. Well worth a look. Not sure if it is a wait until nextgen thing but it sure looks purdy on my XBone.

I've got a 360 and loved Red Dead, GTA 5 and a few others ...

Think I'll get a PS4 for the exclusive titles - love the third person style adventure games.

Biggest fan of Nintendo stuff, though. Loving the new Mario Kart and Mario 3D/Zelda games on the Wii-U. It looks like it's failure of a console in terms of sales (Gamecube-esque), but I still love it.

Haven't traditionally been into games much, but I've grown to enjoy them as I age, which is odd.
I considered a Wii u 'for the kids' but all they want to play is Minecraft.

This makes me happy. What are you currently playing ZoBlitz?
Played crusader kings 2 on and off recently but haven't yet put the solid hours like I did with the first one. Started up arsenal of democracy mod/standalone of hoi2 recently for a little game which is still fun. I pretty much own most of the paradox series on steam and elsewhere but haven't sat down to play all of them. As you'd know, the learning difficulty means you need to dedicate yourself for a little while until you understand the mechanics.

Considering I'll probably end up talking about hoi in my thesis, I should use that as an excuse to start up a game or two.

Played crusader kings 2 on and off recently but haven't yet put the solid hours like I did with the first one. Started up arsenal of democracy mod/standalone of hoi2 recently for a little game which is still fun. I pretty much own most of the paradox series on steam and elsewhere but haven't sat down to play all of them. As you'd know, the learning difficulty means you need to dedicate yourself for a little while until you understand the mechanics.

Considering I'll probably end up talking about hoi in my thesis, I should use that as an excuse to start up a game or two.
I played HoI (original) and did what you did with CK2. Never put the hours in. I put HoI with the Victoria games as just a step up in complexity I'm not willing to commit to. I love the idea, used to be a bit of a WW2 buff and did a lot of tabletop gaming in that era but CK2 and EU IV are my Paradox jams. I haven't picked up the latest CK2 expansion and am waiting for a price drop on Gamersgate, or such a good deal for all of the expansions on Steam I just say * it.

Steam Sale! No more needs to be said. Empty your pockets to Valve and only ever play half of it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Managed to resist the pull of cheap steam games so far but I doubt it'll last.
I admire your fortitude. I have the self control of a Fev at a BBQ.
giphy.gif

Having said that the recent Tomb Raider game is $5 USD on Steam at the moment and it is an absolute steal. A very good game at an incredible price. (Don't bother with multiplayer though),

Stuck with rubbish internet means my gaming habits have crashed over the past 18 months... well that and having a child. Although in the first 6 months i could always play a few rounds of COD when i was up at 3am cuddling a baby back to sleep. Half way through Bioshock Infinite, have enjoyed it, but not as much as the previous games. Have also started tomb radier but haven't finished that either. Got watch dogs and have been playing that, it is fun for an open world game but it isn't anything ground breaking.

I'm usually a sucker for games like fallout, but with the dip in gaming time i have now i just can't put the hours in needed. Likewise, love battlefield, loved 3, played it heaps, haven't even seen 4, again rubbish internet means no online play, which essentially means no battlefield.

Excited about new assassin's creed this year and farcry 4. After playing watch dogs though, i'm gonna need a new vid card before they come out. I still really need to get around to finishing Arkham City. Have the PS3 collecting dust, never have access to the tv anymore unless i want to watch wiggles. Have recently bought an adaptor so i can move the PS3 into my study and hook it up to my PC monitor. Should then be able to finish a few games there. Very very long pile of shame pile on PS3.

I bought The Stanley Parable yesterday. Sounded too intriguing to pass up. Downloading now.

Do tell what it is like. Remember seeing a review on this awhile back, looked like a great little gem of a game.

Yeah I plugged in my Gamecube this week. Have a hankering to play Eternal Darkness again.

The sequel didn't make its kickstarter goal did it?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back