Video Game Hall of Fame

Remove this Banner Ad

Apr 10, 2010
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
AFC Wimbledon
http://www.worldvideogamehalloffame.org/games

Not sure how official or respected this is going to be but it looks like a decent enough inaugural 6 games to kick it off.

Doom
Pac-Man
Pong
Super Mario Bros.
Tetris
World of Warcraft

Good split of eras and systems at least.

So what do people think of the list and who's banging on the door to get in?

Feel free to delete if I've missed a thread about this already.

Jun 23, 2011
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
La Lakers
Grand Theft Auto 3 is one that comes to mind considering what it achieved as an early sandbox 3D game. The Legend of Zelda and/or Ocarina of Time too.

Apr 10, 2010
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
AFC Wimbledon
Yeah definitely think there has to be an entry from the Zelda series, and GTA for the impact its had culturally and like you said on sandbox games. Mad change from the early games, I still remember playing GTA: London on the original playstation, hugely fun game but so ugly.

Street Fighter 2 will be in at some point as will Space Invaders and I've never played it but Spacewars deserves it simply for the best looking gaming box ever designed :)

Maxwell110

Premiership Player
May 29, 2011
batcave
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
sc freiburg
Those 6 games are definitely worthy, surely GTA 3, Pokemon and Sonic will be in there at some point. I don't really like them, but COD and Halo were fairly influential so they'll be in at some point, same with Minecraft. Maybe Goldeneye?

And Superman 64 of course

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Only one that could seem out of place would be WoW but it was huge for a long period and recently was at 10million subscribers so I can see it being picked. Pokemon, Sonic, GTA 3 and Ocarina of Time could consider themselves unlucky and probably would be in the next group.

Sep 17, 2011
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Baltimore Ravens
Call of Duty will shove its way in somehow.

Why shouldn't it? The first Modern Warfare was one of the best shooters of all time.

There's plenty of other games that should and will make it in before COD4. But don't let nearly a decade's worth of yearly sequels taint your view of how amazing that particular game was.

Why shouldn't it? The first Modern Warfare was one of the best shooters of all time.

There's plenty of other games that should and will make it in before COD4. But don't let nearly a decade's worth of yearly sequels taint your view of how amazing that particular game was.
I hate the entire franchise.

nb4 COD fanboys

Maxwell110

Premiership Player
May 29, 2011
batcave
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
sc freiburg
Just doing some more reading on this, and there were 15 finalists. The other 9 finalists were Angry Birds, FIFA, Legend of Zelda, Minecraft, The Oregon Trail, Pokemon, The Sims, Sonic the Hedgehog and Space Invaders. So you can probably expect them to go in at some point.

Do remember that for a game to go in it needs to have significantly affected the industry, pop culture and society in general. So that's why games like Angry Birds and WOW are possible selections.
I hate the entire franchise.

nb4 COD fanboys
I hate the entire franchise too, but you have to be blind to not be able to see how massively popular and influential it has been. After COD got popular so many games tried to copy or take elements from it, it absolutely deserves to go in.

Angry Birds - Given the Pop culture thing I can see it but eh
FIFA - Crazy popular and probably most popular sports game
Legend of Zelda - Makes sense
Minecraft - See Angry Birds
The Oregon Trail - Don't know enough about it
Pokemon, The Sims, Sonic the Hedgehog and Space Invaders - The most unlucky not to go in on the original list tbh

Is WoW actually a good game or is it just popular?
Having never played the game, it seems amazing what it has pulled in in terms of revenue and popularity, on that alone it deserves to be there.
Having heard that Final fantasy XI is the highest revenue Final Fantasy game (despite not really being popular at all), you realise just how much cash those subscription games are making. I imagine WoW would easily be the highest revenue video game ever, so that's probably enough for it to be in the hall of fame.

Apr 10, 2010
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
AFC Wimbledon
Real time strategy? Age of Empires 2 might get a nomination (or even C&C or StarCraft?) but I'd love to see Dune 2: Battle for Arrakis get a mention.

Not sure if there was anything as complete earlier? But Dune 2 had pretty much every element that still defines the genre today, resource gathering, base building, tech trees, fog of war, factions....

Any RTS will probably be well down the list but Dune 2 would be my vote for whenever it happens.

Mar 27, 2011
Melboooooooon
AFL Club
West Coast
Real time strategy? Age of Empires 2 might get a nomination (or even C&C or StarCraft?) but I'd love to see Dune 2: Battle for Arrakis get a mention.

Not sure if there was anything as complete earlier? But Dune 2 had pretty much every element that still defines the genre today, resource gathering, base building, tech trees, fog of war, factions....

Any RTS will probably be well down the list but Dune 2 would be my vote for whenever it happens.
Total annihilation would be my RTS choice. Great game. Red alert 2 probably next back.

Those 6 games are definitely worthy, surely GTA 3, Pokemon and Sonic will be in there at some point. I don't really like them, but COD and Halo were fairly influential so they'll be in at some point, same with Minecraft. Maybe Goldeneye?

And Superman 64 of course

Halo CE should probably get a nod.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back