Society/Culture Violence in Society; Who is to blame?

Remove this Banner Ad

Actually that depends on the stats you use...The numbers/proportions vary according to the methodology used, with some even having a majority initiated by women.

I quotes a link to gay and lesbian DV stats, which were roughly in line with the hetro community...Roughly 1 in 4 suffered from DV or in other words, 3 in 4 don't. Why not acknowledge that most don't, and work the advertising on the premise that those who do are the exception, the abnormal, and acknowledge the (quite significant) majority for what they are.
Is it your serious contention that men aren't over represented in statistics on violence in relationships and the broader community?

Is it your serious contention that men aren't over represented in statistics on violence in relationships and the broader community?

Violence more generally, yes. Stats there are about 9:1, although that ratio is falling rapidly (men are getting less violent and women more)

Domestic violence, as I said, the studies are mixed. I'd agree with over represented, but not hugely (The variety of studies I've read range from ~20-50% male victims, so I'd go with something like 2:1 ).

There is quite a few things that can be done that spring to mind.
  • Acknowledge that violence against women is a problem
  • Talk to and support women you suspect are in a violent relationship
  • Don't turn a blind eye towards male friends and acquaintences that are acting aggressively towards their partners
  • If you see something in public, speak out, or if you are uncomfortable doing that call the police
  • Educate your children about the issue
  • Don't trivialise the issue by arguing than one woman gets killed by a partner or former partner every 8 days rather than every 7
  • Don't blame victims of violence 'why do women like bad men' 'why do women fantasise about rape'

And this isn't being done now? The question was what isn't being done that isn't? What on that list isn't being done? Are we not educating? Are there no support services?

I also notice you still have avoided answering the full post.

What has been the trend in domestic violence over the last 20 years? Has it been working?

Violence more generally, yes. Stats there are about 9:1, although that ratio is falling rapidly (men are getting less violent and women more)

Domestic violence, as I said, the studies are mixed. I'd agree with over represented, but not hugely (The variety of studies I've read range from ~20-50% male victims, so I'd go with something like 2:1 ).

It depends on the type of violence being measured. Physical violence is male dominated. Verbal, emotional on the other hand are much more equal.

What on that list isn't being done?
I don't know you so cannot judge what it is on that list that you do or do not do.
I also notice you still have avoided answering the full post.

What has been the trend in domestic violence over the last 20 years? Has it been working?
I don't know, which is why I didn't answer it.

The list I compiled is about what individuals can do.

I would be pleased to hear it and would hope that it continued to fall.

Well I can't speak for other individuals and I won't be held accountable for what did or didn't do.

If it was falling would you say that overall the anti DV measure were working?

Does it seem strange that the concern about a particular crime occurring seems to be rising even as it incidence seems to fall?

Are you serious?

Read through the thread. These studies (of which we get criticized for posting) have been been linked too.

A quick google search on gender and domestic violence will bring up the relevant studies and meta studies.
I am not going to go through 60 pages. You made the claim, provide me with some evidence.

Well I can't speak for other individuals and I won't be held accountable for what did or didn't do.

If it was falling would you say that overall the anti DV measure were working?

Does it seem strange that the concern about a particular crime occurring seems to be rising even as it incidence seems to fall?
Do you have the stats handy?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It depends on the type of violence being measured. Physical violence is male dominated. Verbal, emotional on the other hand are much more equal.

As I've said, a lot comes down to how the stats are collected.

I read one where they asked something like 'have you committed a DV act on your partner', and then went through a list of actions that qualified as DV (have you slapped, have you punched, etc, etc etc), then reversed it to have you been the victim of the above.

Men, by and large, recognised what they did for what it was and women knew it when they received it.
Women were way off in recognising their actions (in that they didn't think them punching their partner meant they'd committed DV). Men also got this wrong, but not by as much.

So asking men and women "have you done a DV act" would get a significantly different answer to a more specific study in terms of the gender of perpetrators.

this whole statistical analysis of DV is really ....

well...

kinda sad.

He did it more, but no, she did it as well.

I'm not going to spell it out for you

Well he did ask.

DV is such an emotive issue that maybe going by the numbers might be better overall.

Yet, posters such as telsor , seem to believe that a stern talking to, and a jolly good spate of threats towards the abuser, would make the issue go away.

All of this "outside looking in" analysis is highly offensive to those of us who have actually lived it.

Yet, posters such as telsor , seem to believe that a stern talking to, and a jolly good spate of threats towards the abuser, would make the issue go away.

All of this "outside looking in" analysis is highly offensive to those of us who have actually lived it.

Where did I say that?

and BTW, I have been a victim, as previously mentioned.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back