Violence Against Women

Remove this Banner Ad

She is also (understandably) extremely emotional when discussing the subject which can cloud ones judgement.

Absolutely, I felt very bad for her that she was even doing this interview. Still very, very raw.

That does not mean she is not informed on the subject of domestic violence, and does not have any valid points.

I suspect her being upset with Joe and the subsequent rant, is a result of a deep guilt inside her knowing that she didn't do enough to protect her son, and the need to convince herself that she did do everything she could?? Admittedly i don't understand her situation, nor do I blame her for what happened, and its just my take on it

I don't want to limit this issue to this situation but I can't but help think this is the situation too often. Sure she was frightened but not frightened enough to marry the man, have a kid with the man (assumption it wasn't a previous relationship) and live (with her child) under the same roof.

I accept she was scared but she is the adult and must protect her child.

Leaving the state and change her name........sure that is not an easy decision but what choice do you have when you live in fear.

Absolutely, I felt very bad for her that she was even doing this interview. Still very, very raw.

That does not mean she is not informed on the subject of domestic violence, and does not have any valid points.

yep, agree

we need to have the framework within society to help people in her situation. there is no point, pointing the finger or having a discussion with her after the fact. She needs love and support now.

Out of interest, how many years did he get? 30 years would be lenient

I suspect her being upset with Joe and the subsequent rant, is a result of a deep guilt inside her knowing that she didn't do enough to protect her son, and the need to convince herself that she did do everything she could?? Admittedly i don't understand her situation, nor do I blame her for what happened, and its just my take on it

Well, in the interview she said she tried to do the right thing. That a warrant was put out and it took 2 weeks to get to the police station, is unacceptable.

I also believe from this legislation, that those who are also victims of abuse (ie in the case of domestic violence) there is an exemption for not automatically reporting child abuse....

yep, agree

we need to have the framework within society to help people in her situation. there is no point, pointing the finger or having a discussion with her after the fact. She needs love and support now.

Out of interest, how many years did he get? 30 years would be lenient

The father of Luke? He was shot at the cricket oval.

I'll probably get shot down for this however she shouldn't be doing any media at this time, it is obviously and rightfully still so raw that it's only going to take the slightest misunderstanding to send her into an emotional and upsetting outburst.

Australia's media really do stoop to ******* low levels, I view this as the same as those stupid women posting "selfies" to raise awareness for breast cancer. We all know why your doing it, your moral superiority doesn't fly.

Well, in the interview she said she tried to do the right thing. That a warrant was put out and it took 2 weeks to get to the police station, is unacceptable.

I also believe from this legislation, that those who are also victims of abuse (ie in the case of domestic violence) there is an exemption for not automatically reporting child abuse....
what was the warrant for??

Seems like a pointless law that is only going to incite anger amongst Violence against woman groups. Surely if a woman fails to report for reason other then a fear for their safety then both Mum and dad can be prosecuted. Im pretty sure that has been the case here in SA with a number of cases

Nah, I work in the area and see it all the time.

Sexual abuse allegations within a family tend to split them, and all too often the mother will take the side of the accused. I remember one where the mother smirked all the way through the victim describing the effect years of abuse had on her. She'd completely disowned her daughter and kicked her out of home.

They just deny any knowledge and/or refuse to cooperate. Or, if they're a co-offender, they blame it all on the male.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Nah, I work in the area and see it all the time.

Sexual abuse allegations within a family tend to split them, and all too often the mother will take the side of the accused. I remember one where the mother smirked all the way through the victim describing the effect years of abuse had on her. She'd completely disowned her daughter and kicked her out of home.

They just deny any knowledge and/or refuse to cooperate. Or, if they're a co-offender, they blame it all on the male.

From that perspective it makes sense

Tbh I've never really quite got the violence against women movement.

Why not just have a no violence full stop movement...?

Whether it is right or not, Assaults against males are much more accepted then against women. Men get assaulted at a much higher rate outside of the home, but I guess the Violence against women movements builds as Women are considered more likely to be assaulted in their homes where they should be safe

I'm maybe a male sexist pig? I am against violence, but am even more against violence against women. I need a proper "ist" category.

When a woman gets their current partner to do violence against their old partner isn't included in the stats.

What I hate this is the male bashing that goes on. Men and Women are equally violence just in different ways.

We should all be against violence no way matter the form or the victim.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back