Vladimir Putin - what do you think of him?

Remove this Banner Ad

finrod

Club Legend
Oct 8, 2004
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Geelong
I am still unsure of what to make of this guy. I have no idea on whether he has helped Russia become a better place to live or whatever? But recently he seems to be promoting Russia more as a power to be reckoned with on the world stage - with increase military exercises, etc. I think he is definitely a stronger leader than that joke of a leader Boris Yeltsin. But some people say he is too authoritarian. Ex world chess champ Garry Kasparov has been trying to campaign against him in Russia, saying the same thing. Any opinions from people who know more about the current state of Russia?

Ex KGB says it all! = a really nasty piece of work that has royaly conned the yanks!

neo-soviet oligarch meglomaniac.

All week he just looked bemused to be in some tin-pot shithole no-where; it was all he could do to keep the sneer off his face

Yeah. I loved the quote in the Herald-Sun that said something to the effect of, "When questioned about the Russians using Australian uranium to produce weapons Putin responded, 'No this is a misunderstanding.'"

No further questions or explanation. It is a misunderstanding? Oh, OK, I'm sorry to have bothered you, oh gracious Tsar.

Yeah. I loved the quote in the Herald-Sun that said something to the effect of, "When questioned about the Russians using Australian uranium to produce weapons Putin responded, 'No this is a misunderstanding.'"

No further questions or explanation. It is a misunderstanding? Oh, OK, I'm sorry to have bothered you, oh gracious Tsar.

that was classic, wasn't it. When pushed, I think he went on to sneer that they had more than enough uranium for weapons.

For some reason, I wasn't entirely reassured!!

Could be worse. You only have to look around at some of the other clowns that have run ex Soviet republics like Belarus and Turkmenistan.

Unlike other oil exporters such as Iran, Saudi, Venezuela etc he stupidly hasnt blown all the oil wealth.

Whilst he may have a poor record on human rights most will tell you the streets of Moscow are now far safer than they were and the rule of law is somewhat respected.

It would seem the Russkis would have no problems voting him in again.

If (big if) he allows a contest in the upcoming elections and disappears in to the background that will be a big plus in his favour.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

i dont think under their current constitution he is allowed to run again for a third term, something they copied from the americanskis

he's crushing of democratic opposition is pretty ordinary too.

his reversion state micromanagement of everything makes chavez look like a sponsor for capitalism and market economics.

Just have a look at all the major CEO's and top executives of the majority of top Russian companies ala Gazprom. Most of them are russian mobsters that have been pardoned by Putin.

I have a friend who lives in the US now but is of russian descent and travels back regularly. She has tole me that you need to know who to bribe to get anywhere in Russia, especially where the police are concerned.

i dont think under their current constitution he is allowed to run again for a third term, something they copied from the americanskis

he's crushing of democratic opposition is pretty ordinary too.

his reversion state micromanagement of everything makes chavez look like a sponsor for capitalism and market economics.

Russians need an authoritarian rule - they know no other way. Whilst not perfect, the Russians have shown that they can not handle the free for all society. Russia is a much better place than it was 10 years ago. Russians respect authority. When I was in Moscow last the whole city was shut down twice to let Putin's entourage through the city. My guide said I had been blessed to see the President twice. This is the Russian phyche.

Thats the Russian Way if you asked another question in Russia that would have been your last

Just have a look at all the major CEO's and top executives of the majority of top Russian companies ala Gazprom. Most of them are russian mobsters that have been pardoned by Putin.

The state owned co's are gun by ex KGB types. They are not the same as the Oligarchs (most/all of whom are crooks) who own the private co's.

He's an armband and a funny mustache away from being Hitler.

He actually reminds me of Mussolini. Maybe thats because I saw him in the paper the other day, shirtless, pants rolled up to his knees standing in a river somewhere. It just struck me as a classic Mussolini pose, like when he got photo ops working in the fields etc

I am still unsure of what to make of this guy. I have no idea on whether he has helped Russia become a better place to live or whatever? But recently he seems to be promoting Russia more as a power to be reckoned with on the world stage - with increase military exercises, etc. I think he is definitely a stronger leader than that joke of a leader Boris Yeltsin. But some people say he is too authoritarian. Ex world chess champ Garry Kasparov has been trying to campaign against him in Russia, saying the same thing. Any opinions from people who know more about the current state of Russia?

he's as bent as Stalin, he hasn't murdered nearly as many but his morals and ethics are the same, he kills political opponents or sends them to jail on false charges. He kills journalists who speak against him, he is becoming a dictator but sadly he will get away with it because the Western goverments are too scared to question him and the yanks are just as bad anyway.

He actually reminds me of Mussolini. Maybe thats because I saw him in the paper the other day, shirtless, pants rolled up to his knees standing in a river somewhere. It just struck me as a classic Mussolini pose, like when he got photo ops working in the fields etc

yeah it did look like something Mussolini would do

he's as bent as Stalin, he hasn't murdered nearly as many but his morals and ethics are the same, he kills political opponents or sends them to jail on false charges.

I wouldnt shed too many tears for the few oligarchs he has gone after. They have plenty of blood on their hands as well.

Not flash what he has done to journos though

I wouldnt shed too many tears for the few oligarchs he has gone after. They have plenty of blood on their hands as well.

True, but I think if you employ the methods of the people you destroy you become the people you aimed to destroy.

Not flash what he has done to journos though

Or people.

Is there any truth to the claim that Putin's reforms have improved Russia's living standards, or is that all just spin? (I suspect the latter)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back