Vladimir Putin - what do you think of him?

Remove this Banner Ad

The state owned co's are gun by ex KGB types. They are not the same as the Oligarchs (most/all of whom are crooks) who own the private co's.

Usmanov is not ex-kgb, he is an uzbeck oligarch who has done remarkably well under Putin and just purchased 15% of arsenal. There has always been quite a few rumours regarding his early business practices. Plus I have been involved in the sport that his wife is very powerful in and it is spoken of openly that it is his money that she uses to bribe judges to get the results that she wants, as well as the 'pimping' out of the russian and belarussian girls to the local mafia when they are competiting in other countries. :mad:

edit: I'm not a Russia-watcher, and these are personal opinions only.

Mixed bag, but overall he's down there with Bush.

In my mind there is very little doubt he was behind one bombing blamed on Chechnyan rebels (apartment block, can't remember the city), the killing of the journalist investigating said bombing, and the more recent murder of the former spy. His continual use of the term "war on terror" (or so it comes across in our news translations) when speaking about Chechnya is nothing more than a pitiful, but successful, attempt to stop other nations speaking up about human rights abuses. (Not that the "rebels" are exactly innocent, Beslan for one - though even there it seems that the blame went onto a political opponent with no violent history as well as one whose involvement was much more likely.)

He has restrored some Russian pride in Russia (its tempting to add that Hitler did that with German pride, but that comparison is somewhat over the top).

The one positive is that he has reversed some of the corrput, IMF enforced, privatisations that occurred in the immediate aftermath of the Soviet Union collapse and the uptake of capitalism. Some of Wall Street's favourite Russians got hold of former state assets for anything down to 5% of market price. Regardless of whether privatisation was a good idea or not, selling for so far below value was clearly a swindle and needed to be reversed.
(Ironically, its the one point on which the US has been critical; lost of money was made in the US and Russia out of that.)

Just have a look at all the major CEO's and top executives of the majority of top Russian companies ala Gazprom. Most of them are russian mobsters that have been pardoned by Putin.

So...he's like Bush? A gangster, who pardons other gangsters. And changes laws to suit his gangster friends. Although Cheney is the biggest gangster of them all. Kinda like the east coast of Australia, all we hear about is ethnic organized crime gangs, and OMCG's, when in reality the politicians and cops are the biggest gangsters.

So...he's like Bush? A gangster, who pardons other gangsters. And changes laws to suit his gangster friends. Although Cheney is the biggest gangster of them all. Kinda like the east coast of Australia, all we hear about is ethnic organized crime gangs, and OMCG's, when in reality the politicians and cops are the biggest gangsters.

Basically. We need Russian gangsters to keep U.S gangsters from achieving complete dominion, though.

Is there any truth to the claim that Putin's reforms have improved Russia's living standards, or is that all just spin? (I suspect the latter)
A little from column A, a little from B, is basically what I hear from a few Russians.
Overall, yes, the economy is improving after slipping backwards in the initial years of capitalism; but the poor are still as poor as ever - and far poorer than under Soviet rule. There's a big middle class now in major cities, and a small group of uber-wealthy (largely through the corrupted sale of state industry, and criminal enterprise). Many are obtaining increased wealth; but many more - especially away from the big cities, but also many in them - are slipping into third world conditions with regards to water, food, housing, education, etc.

Well according to an article in todays Age, Russian remakes of hit US sitcoms Married With Children, Whos The Boss? & The Nanny proves that there is a burgeoning middle class in Russia who are prospering under Putins rule.

http://www.theage.com.au/news/enter...ve-and-marriage/2007/09/14/1189276985917.html

Hmm. As I said I suspected, but still asked. I've heard the claim that the Russian middle-class is growing, but wasn't sure if it was from Putin's reforms or maybe the pisspot's.

Vladimir Putin is the bomb!

He is also the father of the father of all bombs! Mad respect right there.

Also, how can you not respect the man that I suspect is the only world leader with a black belt in judo?!

If tensions spike between the USA and Russia, they should just settle it with a bloodsport-esque fight to the death between Arnie and Tsar Putin. Imagine the ratings!

Interesting story on Putins parents. Life was really cruel for them living in Leningrad during the war.

Our situation was not unique. There was, after all, no family from which someone didn’t die or which didn’t suffer grief, misfortune, and tragedy. However, my parents still harbored no hatred for the enemy, which is simply amazing. To be honest, I still cannot fully understand it. Mama was generally a very kind and gentle person. I can remember her saying: “Well, what kind of hatred can one have toward these soldiers? They are simple people and they also die in the war.”

It’s amazing. We were brought up on Soviet books and movies… and we hated. But she somehow did not have it in her. I can still clearly remember her words: “Well, what can you have against them? They are also hard workers, just like us. They were simply forced to go to the front.”
These are the words that I remember from my childhood.

http://russia-insider.com/en/history/life-such-simple-yet-cruel-thing-vladimir-putin/ri6661

In terms of domestic policy, I have not been to Russia but have been told by many friends who have been there that it is very much a police state. Through Pussy Riot and the Winter Olympics much has been made of his pairing with the Church to oppress homosexuals, and that's obviously a major negative (and only the tip of the iceberg in terms of minority groups suffering in Russia).

On the foreign policy front he has made Russia a global player once again, and has really allowed for an alternative global leadership to the United States. In the sense of Russia's leadership in attacking ISIS (while NATO bombs a hospital in Afghanistan) and his dealings with Ukraine and other Eastern European non-EU states, he has been a positive.

Almost an inversion of Obama in a number of ways. Interesting man, and not the Devil the western media wants to portray him as.

Just have a look at all the major CEO's and top executives of the majority of top Russian companies ala Gazprom. Most of them are russian mobsters that have been pardoned by Putin.

If you looked at the top executives in Australia and America, do you think you find one person who is not a criminal? Look at coca cola in Australia, sued the NT government because they wanted to introduce a 10 cent deposit on cans and bottles to reduce pollution. How much does the Australian CEO get paid to be an environmental vandal protected by our courts?

Australian water holdings and the liberal party?

Amanda Vanstone accepting bribes as immigration minister to let in Italian mafia/ drug dealers.

The suppression of the Mulligan inquiry (I know exactly whats in it)

What Australian companies profited from the 2003 invasion of Iraq and which ones donated to the liberal party? After all, We know some of the biggest profiteers of that war had direct links to White house.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

An cunning despot, who is as competent politically, as he is ruthless, likewise he has an appalling grasp on strategic and economic management, given Russia's failings and current provocations.

Economics I agree but strategic? Not only stopped Ukraine from heading towards EU membership but has taken back a decent slice of the country. Has also seen off American attempts at influence in Central Asia as its two airbases are now shut.

He has a nice holiday shack.

image.jpg

For years, rumours have circulated in Russia about a vast palace whose magnificence rivals the residences of the Tsars built for President Vladimir Putin in southern Russia, allegedly with money pilfered from a state fund for medical equipment.

New pictures have surfaced reportedly revealing for the first time the sheer scale and splendour of the construction near Praskoveevka in Krasnodar Krai.

Taken from the air and distributed by Russian opposition activists, they show a vast complex of thousands of square metres on a 67 hectare estate overlooking the Black Sea, complete with gardens, parks, fountains, swimming pools, helipads, sports fields and even a small village for staff.

I remember telling my uni housemate in 2003 that he was a real dictator and would lever leave power.

Hes killed his opposition and ruled pretty ruthlessly, but because he is a dictator he's been playing the long game so Russia as a power has certainly risen under his leadership. Truly evil but very good at it, he speaks in an agreeable manner and has rallied the general population behind him. I imagine Tony Abbott could have mirrored his social policies if he was as competent. Thank god he was utterly useless.

Economics I agree but strategic? Not only stopped Ukraine from heading towards EU membership but has taken back a decent slice of the country. Has also seen off American attempts at influence in Central Asia as its two airbases are now shut.
It's soviet era thinking. Lot of good geopolitical one upping did during the Cold War.

Yes the basic economic conditions are different, as the Russkies have flimsily embraced a market economy, but they have a failing resource economy and what exactly? So different economic condition, but the problem of the numbers are the same. They can't afford to be the big dog. He is a poor strategist, but competent tactician. Out maneuvers the Americans but long term has no answer to the question of what will fund "empire". War and collapse, the only place they are headed.

Whats there debt to China?
Whats the americans debt to china?

What wars have Russia started and what wars has America started?
What is whom's debt to China? The Americans don't have a huge one either, bonds aren't the same as traditional loans.

They are creating the conditions for war, either a hot war or proxy war, both of which they cannot afford.

Last edited:
Yes the basic economic conditions are different, as the Russkies have flimsily embraced a market economy, but they have a failing resource economy and what exactly?

Economic reforms stagnated years ago. Since Yukos got shafted its been all downhill with his coterie running (very badly) the strategic resource companies.

Have you read Putins oil? I really enjoyed that, talks about the above and how he has fleeced the country for billions

What is whom's debt to China? The Americans don't have a huge one either, bonds aren't the same as traditional loans.

They are creating the conditions for war, either a hot war or proxy war, both of which they cannot afford.

The questions were simple, but hard to answer if you were speaking s**t.

What is Russia's debt? What is Americas debt? What wars have Russia started, what wars haven't America started?

Russia is simply not capable of being run without an iron fist.

Does it put up a soft leader and go into political turmoil?
Does it break up into separate states?
Does it maintain a "campaigner" as a leader?

I'm not sure what the solution is whilst russia is a nuclear state

Economic reforms stagnated years ago. Since Yukos got shafted its been all downhill with his coterie running (very badly) the strategic resource companies.

Have you read Putins oil? I really enjoyed that, talks about the above and how he has fleeced the country for billions

nothing like feudal systems

Remove this Banner Ad

Back