Vocabulary Lesson

Remove this Banner Ad

Bigfooty vocabulary? There some rippers. If by 'ripppers' you mean 'astonishingly stupid'.

Versing - a synonym for 'playing' used by idiots on bigfooty

Bias - used in the incorrect tense, in place of 'biased', by morons on bigfooty

Should of - used when they shoukd have used 'should have' by Neanderthals on bigfooty

Etc
His - Shortened version of 'He is' or 'He has'

He's - Belonging to or associated with a male previously mentioned

another i hear to often, "versed"- the past tense of versus..
ie
i am going to see carlton versus collingwood this weekend
I went and saw carlton versed collingwood on saturday.
I hear it all the time from the younger guys at my cricket club. "Who are we versing this week?" Like nails down a chalkboard.

My favourite words aren't technically words, they are taken from Douglas Adams' Meaning of Liff and Deeper Meaning of Liff. Using small town names he would match them with definitions that don't have words yet.

Duntish (adj.): Mentally incapacitated by a severe hangover.

Stutton (n.): Tiny melted plastic nodule which fails to help fasten a duvet cover.

Wawne (n.): A badly supressed yawn.

Kelling (ptcpl. vb.): The action of looking for something all over again in the places you've already looked.

Trunch (n.): Instinctive resentment of people younger than you.

Sompting (n.): The practice of dribbling involuntarily into one's own pillow.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

sesquipedalian: an adjective meaning "given to using long words" or "a word containing many syllables".

Although this is a German word, it is well known and used frequently (and mis-used) in Australia: scheissenhausen.

Many people think it means sh*thouse, but in German that word is actually scheisshaus. Spelt with an estset it looks thus: Scheißhaus.
Scheissenhausen is the plural form and means "sh*tting houses".

Another favourite. I'm reliably informed I used to call water ptippatippa.

onomatopoeic
ˌɒnə(ʊ)matəˈpiːɪk/
adjective
adjective: onomatopoeic
using or relating to onomatopoeia.
"onomatopoeic words like ‘bang’ and ‘coo’"
synonyms: imitative, echoic
"‘slap’ is an onomatopoeic word"

Although this is a German word, it is well known and used frequently (and mis-used) in Australia: scheissenhausen.

Many people think it means sh*thouse, but in German that word is actually scheisshaus. Spelt with an estset it looks thus: Scheißhaus.
Scheissenhausen is the plural form and means "sh*tting houses".

I love this post. Cool language things are awesome.

Another favourite. I'm reliably informed I used to call water ptippatippa.

onomatopoeic
ˌɒnə(ʊ)matəˈpiːɪk/
adjective
adjective: onomatopoeic
using or relating to onomatopoeia.
"onomatopoeic words like ‘bang’ and ‘coo’"
synonyms: imitative, echoic
"‘slap’ is an onomatopoeic word"

Are you an older bloke Gough (if you don't mind me asking)? If so, this looks like a phenomenon I've often observed in action, a sort of 'generational bullshit gap' that comes from words being used and taught for no real reason other than pseudo-intellectual wan-kery.

I say that because I know I, and I'd say many of my era, recognise the rubbish words onomatopoeia, and its mates alliteration and assonance, because we were taught them in secondary English, for no other reason seemingly other than they're run out of s**t to teach us after 10 years. We were well past the point of stuff we'd actually use in real life then.

These kind of words aren't well known by too many older blokes because they had their own set of wanky words, ones that have either become common usage now or forgotten altogether.

I have no doubt in 20 years there'll be words used by kids I've never heard, simply because they were taught it by a teacher or a middle manager or someone else justifying their job by making stuff up to sound intelligent.

And the mere suggestion by then that you probably could have got around a sentence without saying "onomatopoeia" will bring looks of derision.

I should probably conclude this by saying I often use big words for no other reason but to sound intelligent.

Carry on.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back