Travel Volunteering in Africa

Remove this Banner Ad

Sep 28, 2009
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Reading FC
Just wondering if anyone has done the Africa volunteering thing?

I was thinking about doing it maybe next year some time to get work experience in wildlife research. There are other things you can do though. Wouldn't mind hearing any experiences.

I haven't but have always wanted to. But what always irked me is that most of these volunteering programs was actually you paying to be a part of it.

I completely understand the financial difficulties of these programs but always found it a little bit... Not right. You helping out should be seen as a great thing to do. Not you helping out AND having to pay money on top to help out.

As harsh as that sounds. I'm about six pints in too so not articulating things well

FWIW, a lot of the Aust Govt volunteer programs are in the process of going **** up after budget cuts. I have a friend who is half way through a placement with an NGO in Africa - she had to come back and review a visa, there was never any doubt that she was going back... and now that she's back, the program is under review, and she may be stuck in limbo here in Australia until the outcome of the review with her stuff still in Africa, with no job in Australia, and with no money coming in.

I guess the lesson is that if you're going to do it, make sure you have money to cover the worst case scenario, regardless of whether you do government or non-government organised volunteer work.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back