Certified Legendary Thread From Injustice to International Cup glory - the Renee Tong story continues

Remove this Banner Ad

But the power of the Bigfooty community will keep it on the 1st page.
hyXTYGe.gif

Apologies for not posting earlier – but thanks again for your support of Renee and the Northern Lights!!! THE SUPPORT HAS BEEN OVERWHELMING!

Again, for those who don’t want to go back 60 pages, I’m Renee’s club and national team mate and have known her for a few years now. I can tell you first hand that she’s one of the hardest working out there and clearly has passion for the sport (which you already know)! A couple posters have hit it spot on - in the wonderful world of footy and amateur sport, you never know what’s going to happen regarding injuries, work commitments, life commitments, financial commitments, etc. A lot can change in just a few months!

I was reading a couple of posts and just wanted to share a bit more information about the Northern Lights, and what we’re doing in preparation for IC2014.
The coaches were faced with an extremely difficult process to narrow down to a list of 30, and it's an exciting and talented group of players. The current depth of talent in Canada is highlighted by the quality of the players that are amongst the 10 alternates!

We have a national training program – which focuses on fitness, strength, and skills. Throughout the years, these programs have always come from trained professionals who understand AFL and the physical demands required from your body. We are in very good hands to be “fitter than our competition” – one of the 10 Northern Lights foundational values. We are also training with the men’s (Northwind) team during the pre-season as we all have a “Team Canada” mentality for IC2014. Many other countries do not do this, and we know that this will only make both teams stronger.

The posts about showing up to our games with Canada flags and wearing red and white has the Lights very excited and personally gives me goose bumps! We would love for BigFooty to choose Team Canada as their country to support for IC! J It would be great to have a few honourary Canadians out there cheering us on! Knowing that you’ll be there right with us will give us that extra push to achieve our team goal of winning IC2014.

There have also been some ramblings of financial support for the Canadian girls – we are currently working on our sponsorship levels and details – but if you have any ideas, we’d love to hear them! We have many players who will be working hard over the next few months to gather the financial support to play in Melbourne – just imagine, one of our “up and coming” stars is still in high school and only 15 years old (she made her international debut at age 13)! She, as well as many others, would love to have your support!

Again, a big thank you and…..

CHEER, CHEER THE RED AND THE WHITE!

I hope that Canada does well, and that Renae makes it. I hope even more that the ICC as a whole does well, and starts to get more traction in Australia. Bigfooty can play a part in that. I think we should make sure people with the commitment to travel around the world for footy have a really positive experience. Its one of the things that will grow the game.

The posts about showing up to our games with Canada flags and wearing red and white has the Lights very excited and personally gives me goose bumps! We would love for BigFooty to choose Team Canada as their country to support for IC! J It would be great to have a few honourary Canadians out there cheering us on! Knowing that you’ll be there right with us will give us that extra push to achieve our team goal of winning IC2014.

This must happen. The AFL organisers wouldnt have a clue what was going on.

Been brilliant so far !...and so many Cotchins Dog moments to choose from.
I've learnt so much about a lot of things.
1. Some lying contest whore in Canada wants a pony.
2. Nova Scotia is not a western suburb of Greenland.
3. 350 million people go every year to shitsville nowhereland just to watch a gg run around a barrel.
4. Zwicker is a very common name in Canada.

Excellent detective work :thumbsu:

To Renee and all the big footy forum ...

10k gone to waste ...

KARMA really is a bitch and has come to bite you all in the ass!

And for the theory I will tell you if you give me a moment...

However I will not be making any comments back..

Also guess Renee couldn't stand up to all the big girls. *sadface:(

yessssssssssssssssssssssssssssss

If there are people willing to pitch in financially, I'm not sure the Canadian team should be the main beneficiary of BF generosity. I'm right behind Renee as an individual and I wish the Canadians the best of luck in the tournament, but if there's going to be any money raised, surely there must be other teams more in need of the help. PNG?

If there are people willing to pitch in financially, I'm not sure the Canadian team should be the main beneficiary of BF generosity. I'm right behind Renee as an individual and I wish the Canadians the best of luck in the tournament, but if there's going to be any money raised, surely there must be other teams more in need of the help. PNG?

PNG recieve funding and support from the AFL and the Australian Government and are integrated somewhat into the Queensland footy areas. Northern hemisphere teams dont receive this.

Ah, fair enough. Is it all the same teams as 2011? Ireland, USA, Canada, PNG, Australia? In that case, definitely the Canadians would be next in line, so as you were.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

When the Zwickers go all in against PNG, then we'll be there for the Kumuls.

Until then, Oh Canada.

My only contribution to this thoroughly inspiring thread is to recall the words of the Canadian national anthem. I heard it sung at a rugby match during the world cup here in Melbourne that I was dragged along to by my Japanese brother in law (this is true and also sad so let us not dwell on it). It goes something like this: "Oh Canada, we have a lot of trees/And Americans pretend to be us/When they're overseas."

As a bump, and out of interest for people now curious about the prospects of the Canadian womens team in the IC14. Hamilton Wildcats tweeted that Kendra Heil, their 2012/13 womens captain, and Canadian womens team member has started preseason with the Eastern Devils in the VWFL.

No doubt getting an early start on the International cup. It is interesting that this will be Kendras second year in footy, and she is already committed enough to make the effort to come to Australia in advance of the cup to get more experience.

Hopefully she ends up being a team mate of Renae

Should've guessed you guys were all over this already! :) Please like our page and share with your friends! There's not a lot of stuff up there right now, but it'll be one of the main sources for official Team Canada news and info!

Since you guys are totally on the ball, I'll give you some extra Northern Lights tidbits/gossip:

- As jatz14 mentioned, Kendra has moved to Melbourne and had her first practice with the Eastern Devils. This is not the first time one of the Lights has moved down to Australia to gain more footy experience! IC2011 and PC2012 Captain Aimee did the same thing!
- Maddy is our youngest member of the Northern Lights at age 15 and was first named to the national team when she was 13! What were *you* doing at age 13?!
- National training "officially" starts up again on November 30, where we will be doing fitness testing. The men had their first testing session on November 2 where they did the beep test, a 2km time trial, a 1km time trial, and a 400m time trial. Will the women be doing the same?!? Only time will tell! (Although I can *guarantee* a beep test and a 1km time trial will be in the works!)

...hope to also see you on the Supporter Page!

I haven't been on BF for ages and panicked when I couldn't find this thread - thought it might have been deleted. So I'm ridiculously late to the party, but anyway...

CONGRATULATIONS RENEE!!! :thumbsu: :D

Oh wow, what sensational news. Looking forward to seeing you and your team out here next year. Go Team Canada! (Thanks jatz14 and superninjendo for the info about the supporter page on FB too.)

I haven't been on BF for ages and panicked when I couldn't find this thread - thought it might have been deleted. So I'm ridiculously late to the party, but anyway...

CONGRATULATIONS RENEE!!! :thumbsu: :D

Oh wow, what sensational news. Looking forward to seeing you and your team out here next year. Go Team Canada! (Thanks jatz14 and superninjendo for the info about the supporter page on FB too.)
I reckon bf needs a legendary thread retirement home area, so all the best ones that are no longer active (like this and rompingwins) can be found easily by everyone. Make it members only if you want, I'd sign up solely to read this thread :D

Remove this Banner Ad

Back